Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antennabeams
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Still no resolution from Rogers.

• Numerous support interactions, device reboots, power cycles, etc
  • TraceRts captured, and provided showing lag spikes repeatably to completely different infrastructure sources (google, microsoft, amazon, rogers, cbc more)
  • Pings showing lag spikes
  • Two engineering tickets closed.
  • 1 exchanged modem
  • And...today a front-line tech (not any of the prior contacts, somehow) noted "minor signal issues" and wants to send a tech out.  

This is looking pointless. Is it time to start making more noise to whomever at Rogers is somehow insulated from this matter? Look at this thread, look at Reddit, and look at other forums like istheservicedowncanada.com ; everywhere a conversation on Rogers internet service exists, the exact same issue shows up, across Ontario and beyond! 

-ugh

timfolkins
I Plan to Stick Around

After the modem firmware change, and some potentially good evenings... the service has just continued to degrade to the point where I can a) barely login to this site b) can no longer view youtube... on gigbit service. Just look at the attached chart - it's my last 30 minutes. I'll be lucky if I get a mail notification of any other posts with service like this.

Ughhhh IT'S GETTING WORSE!!!

I'm at a loss here... and no competition in my neighbourhood with Bell's 50 service. I don't think I've had that low a bandwidth for what... 7 years??

Annotation 2020-03-09 191632.jpg

user123123
I'm Here A Lot

Welcome to Rogers! Like never before! 🙂

you are lucky with Bell's 50, I have only Bell's 25 and still moving to them this week, cause even if I have 500 now it's useless if it doesn't work most of the times.

Fonarik1
I Plan to Stick Around

Yea if this is not resolved by the weekend (don't have my hopes up), I'll probably be downgrading to Bell's 100Mbps, at least it'll be consistent (I hope).

And you're absolutely right, it does seem to be getting worse. Last week it was only noticeable during online gaming, now it's every websites, app, streaming service..

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away for me either.  I noticed that Ignite TV became glitchy and immediately started running a ping test.  Right from the start, I saw multiple latency spikes where ping times exceeded 4000ms.

Raveneire
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- @seadooxp30 @Singh31 

Annotation 2020-03-09 224109.png

This is what my connection has been like for the past 48hrs. While I still doubt it's actually fixed, I know the current latency/packet loss I'm getting is from the rebuild going on at my node so I have to wait for that to clear. Ignite TV has been running and no issues gaming. We'll see what tomorrow looks like, fingers crossed that they've figured something out.

I'll probably take a walk by the node to see what exactly they are doing, might even be FTTH but no knock on my door yet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Things seem to have gone back to normal now but I just got the worst ping stats that I have ever seen:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3595 received, 0% packet loss, time 3605450ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.269/67.709/7666.324/435.918 ms, pipe 8

seadooxp30
I Plan to Stick Around

@Raveneire

Interestingly enough my freezing ( pocket loss and high latency)is very minimal today!

Not sure if they have done something to the node.

How can I tell where my node is? can I tell by putting my postal code or something from specific site?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seadooxp30 the local tap which connects you and your neighbours is either located in a nearby utility pole, or in a very near waist high pedestal, usually green in colour.  From there, the local tap is connected via cable to the neighbourhood node, which is probably a little higher than waist height, and about 4 x 4, 5 x 5, somewhere around that size, green in colour.  If you walk or drive around your neighbourhood you would probably pass right by it.  That node probably services 500, 1000, or possibly 1500 homes.  I believe Rogers goal is to reduce neighbourhood nodes to 500 homes, possibly less.

The distribution system looks like this:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/1349i109BEE583F11A744

Singh31
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been getting something similar, it's been improved but like you I'm not holding my breath.