cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Markmalaty6
I've been here awhile

Hello, installed Rogers about a month ago. Ever since I’ve been having ping spikes out of nowhere. A Rogers tech came and installed an eero mesh system which helped us get better connection all over the house , but ping spikes are still there. The spikes occur even when I connect via Ethernet. Yesterday when I was coming home, I saw a Rogers tech on the street and approached him, he told me that our neighbours are also experiencing the same issue? Do you have any advice on how to fix as our internet is barely useable and I haven’t been able to play ps4 in over a month since we installed it.

geokilla007
I plan to stick around

Rogers is sending a technician to my house tomorrow. Tech support agent noticed some issues when they were pinging my modem. Probably pings were dropped?

pmakshou
I plan to stick around

So update on my part. It's working fine now. Didn't do anything. All of a sudden poof just started to work as intended.

Technician is supposed to come in tomorrow just to find everything is working just fine. That's convenient isn't it?

I swear if the tech leaves and the issue comes back I'm jumping ship.

xdCanuck
I plan to stick around

Unhappy to announce after I just came from swapping out my modem (CGN3ACSMR for the CODA, only one they had) the issue still persists. So the issue is not on my end nor the modems but most definitely on Rogers. Disappointing. Looks like it's back to the active chat.

Hello,

@xdCanuck@pmakshou@geokilla007@InternetIsDown@Linst and @Markmalaty6 - Welcome you all to Rogers Community Forums. 

Thank you all for joining this discussion and posting your concern related to high pings. If you have not reached out to tech support yet, we can run diagnostics to isolate the issue. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Regards,

RogersMoin

Markmalaty6
I've been here awhile
@pmakshou after a month and a half of ping spikes I tried to play ps4 today and bam everything was perfect. I’m so confused I didn’t change anything on my end. Have a feeling it might have something to do with the tech that came to check out my neighbours internet a couple days ago. Had a tech scheduled for Saturday to switch out my modem but considering cancelling now lol.

Linst
I've been here awhile

@Markmalaty6 Just as a note, I monitored my latency all day today and everything was looking great. I tried playing a couple of games and everything worked fine, but I left the pingtest running.

10:47 pm tonight: now I'm seeing the same problem as in my previous post; large, intermittent ping spikes.

Just because it was working earlier today doesn't mean the problem is resolved, I wouldn't cancel your tech just yet. At the very least they'll swap your modem and test the signal on your local line.

pmakshou
I plan to stick around

Exactly my point @

Markmalaty6
I've been here awhile
@pmakshou I agree I’m giving it a month to hopefully stay this way but if not..... might just have to switch back to old provider. I’m hoping that’s not the case though.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Same issue for me. Random ping spikes of 1000-3000ms, whether I'm playing games or not. This has been going on for over a week. I wish I knew how many reports Rogers needed before they realize "hmm, maybe the problem is on our end"?

Markmalaty6
I've been here awhile
@herrshaun so the tech just came to my house to replace my modem and I told him everything about how it randomly got fixed and that I talked to our neighbours Rogers Tech and they were having the same problem. He says although there’s no way for him to check this, it sounds like that other tech must’ve triggered Maintenance to come to the area to investigate and fix. He advised not to go through with the modem swap since it’s working fine. So basically only way to fix it is to get Rogers to send some maintenance to your area (assuming your problem is same as mine), which I can just guess is gonna be a hassle and a half, if at all possible lol

mrq1
I plan to stick around

I have it too , from around end of Dec. Spikes up to 6s .

They silently fixed something around end of Jan and I had acceptable level of service for ~2 weeks. 

It came back around Feb 10th . 1 ticket with support closed due to "no evidence" . Opened another one today .

max.png

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

I really hope the only way to get this fixed is not to just get lucky...

BoldAdanac
I plan to stick around

Rogers_sucks.jpgSo let me start with a few months ago, I got my internet installed and all was well. I was very happy with the service - the speed and the latency. About a month ago I started to notice small spikes in my ping, being a gamer this didn't make the games unplayable as the spikes were few and far between and the ping would only increase by 100 or so. Well this brings us to this week, I have not been able to play a single game much less stream my game play. The ping will spike to well over 1000 with a complete interrupt in some cases. I have ran a ping pro scan (attached) to both my local router which is hardwired to my computer and google. The ping to the router was stable at < 1ms but the ping to google was all over the place (see attached). I have called rogers and well that didn't go to well, the rep on the phone insisted that there was not an issue because they ran a ping test on their end and saw no packet loss ----- well the test only sends 50 packets so that does not show an inconsistent spike in latency load related or not. Today a technician came to the house on a scheduled appointment - very helpful and knowledgeable guy who had actually been at the property almost a year prior to install internet for another unit, back at this time he requested to have new carrier lines installed from the distribution box because there were more units now on this line that was built only for one house. No one every completed that work order and again today he requested it to be done again, this worries me because assuming they will need to get contractors out there this again will not be completed for some time. I need some suggestions to figure out how to get rogers to actually get these issues resolved as I am currently left with "They may come and install new lines". 

mrq1
I plan to stick around
Looks pretty similar ( to me) to what others are experiencing, from what I see in your post.
Overbooking or backend issues for Rogers in the last 2 months.

xdCanuck
I plan to stick around

I'm curious of how many of you are in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. Likewise, the reddit for /r/Rogers is noting the same issue (high packet loss/ping) the past few weeks. It is undoubtedly not on my end after a number of tests, a tech replacing a faulty connector outside and noting no other hardware issues, and a new modem.

I'm banking on Rogers having messed something up in the past month and it's getting to most of us. Would be nice if they'd just announce something though because I'm getting tired of the online chat rep and the in-house tech both noting an issue and then having my escalated tickets closed because "no issue was found". Great investigative skills.

Honesty is a good policy my friends.

BoldAdanac
I plan to stick around

@mrq1  ???? No - The post directly says what the tech diagnosed and it a localized issue, I just need them to actually complete the work order......... ???? 

t27c
I plan to stick around

@xdCanuck Cambridge here. and I'm still experiencing the bad latency and packet loss. Wasn't aware that the Kitchener/Waterloo area has been having the same issue. good to know though that it isn't just me lol

xdCanuck
I plan to stick around

@t27c So it actually cleared up for me last night for a few hours around 9PM. Was able to play until 11 without issue. Back to this morning and it's nigh unusable. So something is definitely messed up with their infrastructure. If you notice the same then let me know. At this point I don't think contacting Rogers again is worthwhile because they just keep giving me the runaround. Techie or chat rep helps me out, escalates a ticket then whomever is evaluating these tickets slaps it with a "No issue found".

I guess it's patience until I decide to switch to Bell.

mrq1
I plan to stick around

better in the last 24h , true.

https://ibb.co/X2PHf4Z 

pmakshou
I plan to stick around

It started happening again. I'm cancelling my account. I'm out.