cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

GuyWiththeHat
I plan to stick around

What are the magic words to say to get OFDMA to be disabled?

Frustrated Customer

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Let us know, @alfajina, if you end up getting OFDMA disabled. I was told this was not possible when I asked...

bestjsg1
I plan to stick around

@Arekitect   In short and in my own experience, yes, the new modem fixes this problem. Not sure if you read my post within this thread but I was with a TPIA for years and decided to upgrade my speed profile and was forced to also upgrade my modem to a CODA / Puma based modem back in Sept.  Ever since that I got random disconnections all day long, gone thru many tech calls and visits, got a docsis 3.0 modem and things got improved but still got disconnections every 2 or 3 days vs 4-10 times a day.

Finally decided to join Rogers direct hoping to get better or at least quicker service or a hope to get this fixed vs thru a TPIA, to my surprise the same cable line and in fact the same Rogers outsourced technician came and gave me the XB6 modem (Broadcom chipset)  , I  have now been up for 15 days straight with no disconnections although I am experiencing slow upload speeds lately but frankly , I just don't have the time and patience to make tech support calls anymore and just be glad that I have a stable connection to get on with my life.

augmentium
I plan to stick around
@bestjsg1

I’m glad you have this problem solved. Do you need Ignite service to get this modem?

bestjsg1
I plan to stick around

@augmentium  I believe so.

Would anyone know why the 2nd and I also think the 3rd hop IP address would change from last week ? I noticed it when I was doing a tracerout That the 2 and 3 hop ip have changed

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

I experienced an intermittent drop again, around 1:10pm today feb 4th.

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

@bestjsg1- Thanks for responding to my question.

I am also to the point that  I don't have the time and patience to deal with support calls.

My goal is to switch to XB6 modem but the only way is to upgrade to the Ignite service. The cost of Ignite is comparable to the Gigabit plan, but I find the $29 Delivery and "Self-Installation" fee outrageous. I would like to simply pick up the hardware from the local Rogers store, but they don't carry Ignite devices. 

However, 2 weeks ago, shortly after writing my post describing intermittent service drops, my modem rebooted at exactly 12pm, and the service is back to normal with no more disconnects for the first time in 6 months.

Fingers crossed. If someone at Rogers did something - thank you! 

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

New single-day record of 25 drops and counting... this is insufferable. I checked on my ticket status and apparently they are still "monitoring my connection" until next week. I sure hope they're seeing what I'm dealing with.

Potato Internet.png

sarahxiaoxu
I've been here awhile

Oh my goodness. Same thing is happening to us. Our internet has been disconnecting for around a month or so all the time. We went in to return our modem and got a new one, now it is way worse than before. 

We have been dealing with horrible internet connection and slow speeds despite using the 500u ignite plan. 

*TIME TO GO TO BELL* I work at home and the internet keeps cutting off every 10 or 20 minutes and takes a few minutes to get back online. 

We have been using Rogers for many years, but we will not be paying for this horrendous service anymore. Stay away until it is fixed. 

sarahxiaoxu
I've been here awhile
I am having equally bad drops for around two months now. I can't work at home in peace anymore. I called many times and even changed the modem. There is no fix.

If they don't fix this issue soon, we will be moving over to Bell.

bestjsg1
I plan to stick around
@sarahxiaoxu lucky you...Not every one has a choice you know.

It’s kind of sad that Rogers just keeps us hanging like this with no real answers why a lot of us are having the same issues it’s discussing in the end of the day Rogers will lose lots of customers once other isp are avail or once people move to a new area with other isp

@bestjsg1 @sarahxiaoxu and anyone who is experiencing disconnects, if you still have the patience and time to dig up some data from the modem, I'd appreciate your responses.  At the present time, it looks like the problem is associated with the White Hitron CODA-4582 modem which is an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem.  That chipset is also used in the Arris XB6 which is the Arris TG-3482ER.  That model of XB6 is used for the Ignite TV service.  Rogers is radio silent on the issue, from the Office of the President down to tech support and forum moderators.  It appears, from anecdotal data that the disconnect problem is associated with the introduction of a DOCSIS 3.1 upstream data channel.  That channel is a DOCSIS 3.1 Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access channel, which uses 2000 sub-carriers to carry customer and modem data to the neighbourhood node and beyond into the Rogers network.   It appears that many customers are being negatively affected by the OFDMA channel which is now being enabled by Rogers across the network.  As the OFDMA channel is enabled on more modems across the network, a growing number of customers are experiencing disconnects, presumably due to the operation of the OFDMA upstream channel.  The first post that I've seen, indicating a willingness by Rogers to disable the upstream OFDMA channel, was posted today. 

That is not to say that the OFDMA channel is the sole reason for modem disconnects.   That can occur with the normal configuration which these days is an OFDM downstream channel and three or four upstream Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) channels.  The presence of the QAM channels can be seen in the modems signal data.  Its possible to have disconnects with good signal levels as the disconnects themselves can occur faster than the modem can record them.  In that case, the best way to determine if a problem such as this is occurring is to run a continuous ping test to the Cable Modem Termination system, which is the second IP address in a trace to anywhere.  

Now, with issue arising due to the OFDMA channel, its difficult to distinguish a disconnect that might be due to some OFDMA channel issue versus a normal disconnect due to a deteriorating external cable.  Typically, with an external cable that is deteriorating, the disconnects are very short.  There might be a series of short disconnects that occur throughout the day.  Normally, there will not be a long extended time, as in minutes, where the modem appears to disconnect from the Rogers network.  I'm working on an instruction set to easily record the disconnects, just to see how often they might occur and the time length of the disconnect. 

Ok, on to the issue at hand.  Once again, if you still have the time and patience, I'll appreciate the info that you post as it will help understand if the Arris XB6 (TG-3482ER) is also affected by this issue.  

If you have the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem, log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab.  Scroll down to the very bottom OFDM/OFDMA section.  If the modem has an enabled OFDMA channel, it will show up in that section as being enabled.  At this point in time, if there is an OFDMA channel running, there should only be one channel enabled, and one channel disabled.  Here's an example of the OFDM/OFDMA channel data with one channel enabled. Scroll down to the bottom of the signal data to see the enabled OFDM channel within the OFDM/OFAMA Overview.  The other OFDM channel is disabled:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Internet-Keeps-Dropping/m-p/475915#M65430

If you have the XB6 for Ignite TV service:

1.  I'd like to know what modem model you have. It will be indicated on the bottom of the modem and it will either be an Arris TG-3482ER (Intel Puma 7 modem) or a Technicolor CGM-4140COM (Broadcom BCM-3390 modem).

2.  Please log into the modem. You should end up at the Gateway page.  Select Connection from the left hand menu.  When that page populates, please select Rogers Network from the left hand menu.  That will take 20 to 30 seconds to populate the page.  Scroll down until you see the Downstream and Upstream data.  I'd like to know if there is an OFDMA Upstream channel running.  That should be shown in the Upstream data under the Modulation type.  I think it will show as a locked channel under the lock status.  I don't use this modem, so, not entirely sure what the data will look like in its entirety.  If someone could post an image of the upstream data which shows the OFDMA channel, that would be appreciated.

So, two items if you have the time and patience:

1. Modem model: White Hitron CODA-4582 or grey/black Arris TG-3482ER or Technicolor CGM-4140COM

2. Please indicate (Yes / No) the presence of an enabled upstream OFDMA channel in the case of of the CODA-4582 or the presence of an OFDM channel in the case of the Arris TG-3482ER or Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  I don't need to see any part of the signal table posted, a Yes/No will suffice.

As they say in the commercial, "Thanks for your support" 🙂

augmentium
I plan to stick around
@Datalink

1. CODA 4582U modem
2. Yes

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

1. Coda 4582

2. Yes

yever
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

1. Coda 4582

2. Yes

jmarshall13
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

1. Coda4582

2. Yes

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

1. CODA-4582U

2. Yes

And for folks who might not be sure about what they're looking for, as Datalink requested, this is how you can answer question 2. If you see one "operate" here, it's a yes to OFDMA. If both are "disabled", then it's a no to OFDMA. 

enabled.JPG

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

1. Coda4582

2. Yes

GuyWiththeHat
I plan to stick around

1.  CODA-4582U.

2.  Yes.

Frustrated Customer