cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet wifi keeps disconnecting

Habdelwahed
I've been here awhile

Hi my ignite wifi keep disconnecting. The wired connection is ok any suggestions

**Labels Added**

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Internet wifi keeps disconnecting

RogersCorey

Greetings @Habdelwahed!

An intermittent WiFi connection is certainly cause for some frustration... but if your wired connection is fine, at least we know that your overall Internet connection is not the problem here. This is definitely an issue isolated to WiFi alone.

Are all of your devices disconnecting simultaneously or just some of them? Does it seem like disconnections are more likely to happen in one part of the house or another?

In a situation such as this, I would typically suspect that your modem is not centrally placed or you need WiFi pods to fill in the gaps in coverage.

However, if all your devices disconnect at the same time, there may be something going on with the modem. 

If you would kindly answer my questions above, I'll have a better idea of how to resolve this for you. Thanks!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Habdelwahed
I've been here awhile
Hi
They all disconnect at the same time. Furthermore. When I switch to data on my phone and switch back immediately to wifi, it works again. The wifi signal is great. Someone might one sitting in upper floor and another in the basement and they complain at the same time. I don't have any coverage problem in the house and it started less than 2 months ago.

Yeah, that sounds like something else is going on other than a mere WiFi coverage issue. I'd like to run some tests for you.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Too many people are reporting a connectivity issue to simply be a signal strength issue. I have 3 wireless STBs with a centrally located wifi hub. Signal strength looks good on all devices. Every few days one or the other STB disconnects. Light on the hub is solid white. Sometimes even the wifi connection on my non TV devices (mobile phone) is dropped and needs to reconnect. The pat answer is it must be a weak wifi signal. I think you need to dig a bit deeper into the issue because IMHO it seems to be a H/W issue.

Good morning @ihorp!

Is this centrally located WiFi hub a third party device or are you using one of our WiFi pods? We can't guarantee that Ignite TV will work with third party equipment.

If you're having connectivity issues while using third party equipment, our first troubleshooting suggestion is going to be to remove your third party equipment and test for 24 hours without it to see if the issue persists.

Please let us know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

ihorp
I'm here a lot

I am not using any third party equipment in the wifi signal path. I have computers, mobile devices and music streamer connected to wifi. The wifi signal for the most part is stable and bandwidth seems to be OK. The issue is 3exclusively with TV. Screen goes black, randomly on one of the ignite TV receivers. We have 2. Sometime reset works, sometime changing channels works and sometimes nothing works. This is happening every second day and multiple times a day. Is this a hardware issue?

Is it always the same box that's always blacking out or could it be either of them at random? If it's just one box that's blacking out, have you tried swapping positions of the two boxes to see if the issue persists? 

If both boxes are exhibiting this same behaviour, I'd like to run some tests on your connection.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

ihorp
I'm here a lot

I spoke to Rogers support on the phone. They have tested the connection and all seems to be fine. The issue is random on all receivers. They have escalated the issue and said I will hear back in 24-48 hours. Seems this is a known issue, but no specifics as to the cause or solution.

ihorp
I'm here a lot
This info may be useful. I use a music streamer connected to internet using wifi. When the TV screen goes black the Music streamer also freezes. After a second or two I have to restart TV and streamer and they work fine. It seems like the hub drops the internet connection for some reason.

ihorp
I'm here a lot
When the connection is dropped it seems to freeze TV and my streamer. The streamer is a Wiim Pro connected via WiFi to Amazon music.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation