cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I ran this ping test overnight from my computer I may run another from one of my linux server's in a tmux session to make sure it can't get interrupted.

Which ip's do you recommend tracerouting/pinging?

Click here for details
Ping statistics for 99.228.142.1:
Packets: Sent = 37694, Received = 37589, Lost = 105 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 507ms, Average = 10ms

I have also noticed consistent packet loss within Fortnite anywhere between 3-10% however ping stays low, I have talked to some friends on Rogers and they seem to be having a similar issue with just this game, people I have talked to who are on Bell and Cogeco do not have this issue and they can notice me lagging around the game.

I am unsure what IP's Fortnite uses so I am unsure what to ping 

Click here for details

My internet also dropped yesterday October 15 2020 from around 11:25 AM till 11:28 AM according to my pfSense logs, I was on a video call at the time and everything dropped and I also noticed it dropped last night from 2:09 AM to 2:12 AM I was wondering if you could get any logs on your side to explain what was going on, I tried contacting Twitter support but they did not seem to want to help as they did not understand what I was asking

Hi, I can confirm I am using an ethernet connection straight from the modem to my PC.

Since I am getting extreme packet loss and I am connected by ethernet, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the possible solution is?

I read earlier in the forum that you could ask for a tier II tech, but I am wondering if there are any tips or what the proper etiquette is when communicating with Rogers as to how to ask for that.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Greetings @stepy2015 and @reddenaltmer1,

Thanks for the replies! 🙂

@stepy2015, we may need to run some additional testing to help further pinpoint the issue. Can you kindly send us a PM via @CommunityHelps to get started? For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

@reddenaltmer1, as per post #833 from @RogersMoin, did you have a chance to review our Internet Knowledge Base article Troubleshooting Latency (Wired Devices) to see the instructions on how to obtain and post the ping & traceroute results to google.com and your gaming server? The results can help us isolate the issue. Please remember to remove the IP address from the first and second hop as this is your personal IP address and should not be shared in a public forum.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I'm experiencing random packet loss on my ethernet connect so (after having a tier 2 tech and riser repair team unable to help me on multiple occassions) I switched to wifi, which doesn't seem to be effected, and now I'm getting random ping and lag spikes. Thinking of switching to Bell as they just installed brand new equipment in my building, because my experience with Rogers since March has been disgustingly bad.

Hey @Shakeshaft

Welcome to our Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post with us! 😊 I know how frustrating it can be dealing with latency issues. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're having and we'd love for you to stay! Latency can be tricky to diagnose but we can learn a lot from a ping test and traceroute. Have you had the chance to have a look at this article, Troubleshooting Latency (Wired Devices) posted by @RogersAndy? It's super helpful! 

Feel free to post your results so we can gain some insight. Kindly remember to remove the IP address from the first and second hop as this is your personal IP address and should not be shared in a public forum. If the issue persists, we may need to run some additional testing to help further pinpoint the issue. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Regards, 

RogersJo 

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Ran another ping test last night to the CMTS from my server 

Click here for details
53990 packets transmitted, 53791 received, 0.368587% packet loss, time 54077395ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.874/11.154/253.435/7.809 ms

Sport69
I've been here awhile

Hello, 

In my white CODA 4582 when I enter the ping 64.71.255.204 I only get a short test, not 24 hours which is what I would like.  What am I not doing correct?  Thanks

Hello, @Sport69

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to do ping testing to determine if there are latency issues affected your service.

The method that we recommend is it use the command prompt on a device that is wired to the modem using an ethernet connection. You can follow the specific steps by visiting our Troubleshooting Latency knowledge base article.

Instead of using the command "ping -n 50" you can use "ping -n 3200" which will run a test consisting of 3200 pings rather than the 4 ping tests that the modem will run via the admin settings. Instead of entering www.google.com, you can enter the IP address you referenced in your post. An example of the command you will use in the command prompt is ping -n 3200 64.71.255.204.

We would also recommend running a traceroute via the command prompt by following step 4 of the Troubleshooting Latency knowledge base article.

Feel free to post both of the test results in the community for our experts to review.

RogersTony

Hey, I am experiencing the same issue. I completed the ping test with 0% packet loss, however I am getting a few response times over 100 ms for the traceroute. Can you please take a look? This is very frustrating.

Sport69
I've been here awhile

Hello @RogersTony 

Here are the results of my Ping test followed by the Tracert

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:

Packets: Sent = 555, Received = 406, Lost = 149 (26% loss),

Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 17ms

(Sorry I didnt wait the entire hour, but this is always the result I get)

Tracert:

Tracing route to dns.cp.net.rogers.com [64.71.255.204]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  CODA4582 [192.168.0.1]

2    22 ms    20 ms    17 ms  99.234.250.1

3    20 ms    18 ms    14 ms  8082-dgw02.hnsn.rmgt.net.rogers.com [69.63.255.33]

4    16 ms    16 ms    13 ms  69.63.249.38

5    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  209.148.227.157

6    16 ms    19 ms     *     10.202.47.161

7    15 ms    15 ms     *     dns.cp.net.rogers.com [64.71.255.204]

8    18 ms     *       18 ms  dns.cp.net.rogers.com [64.71.255.204]

Trace complete.

Any insight you can provide would be helpful as Rogers keeps telling me my internet is fine, and the Bots they have running show no issues.

Please note, the modem was restarted (Hitron CODA), the WIFI is disabled, and only my laptop was cable connected to the modem.

Thanks!!!!

Hey @traceroutemaste!

Welcome to the community!

Thank you for providing your traceroute results, I have removed the link for privacy but it's clear there's latency occurring on that third hop within the Rogers network. If you haven't yet I would recommend reaching out to support or us here @CommunityHelps so these results can be replicated for a ticket to our network team. Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this for you. For more info on our PM system, click here.

Hi @Sport69!

Thank you for providing the test results of your ping and traceroute. However I'm afraid they do not indicate a visible issue that is addressable by Rogers. We would need to see latency that exceeds 100ms with relative consistency within the Rogers network for it to be actioned. If your issue does persist I do recommend continuing your traceroute testing during impact as if it's a micro spike in latency consistent testing may identify where it's occurring.

Thank you for your patience.

@RogersAndy

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Having absolutely awful internet right now. It started about noon and is still going on. Lots of ping spikes and timeouts. 

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:800::2004:
Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 59, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 520ms, Average = 32ms

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.1.4]

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms CODA4582 [192.168.0.1]
2 16 ms 13 ms 9 ms 99.242.132.1
3 16 ms 11 ms 10 ms 8083-dgw02.lndn.rmgt.net.rogers.com [67.231.220.25]
4 13 ms 18 ms 14 ms 69.63.250.133
5 24 ms 17 ms 15 ms 209.148.233.38
6 17 ms 17 ms 26 ms 72.14.209.126
7 92 ms 18 ms 94 ms 108.170.228.0
8 * 17 ms 15 ms 216.239.35.233
9 21 ms 15 ms 9 ms yyz10s14-in-f4.1e100.net [172.217.1.4]

Trace complete.

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.1.4]

1 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms CODA4582 [192.168.0.1]
2 20 ms 17 ms 20 ms 99.242.132.1
3 12 ms 20 ms * 8083-dgw02.lndn.rmgt.net.rogers.com [67.231.220.25]
4 15 ms 14 ms 16 ms 69.63.250.133
5 19 ms 16 ms 14 ms 209.148.233.38
6 * 18 ms 16 ms 72.14.209.126
7 * 17 ms 17 ms 108.170.228.0
8 16 ms 19 ms 357 ms 216.239.35.233
9 15 ms 14 ms 13 ms yyz10s14-in-f4.1e100.net [172.217.1.4]

I have a work at home job that requires a stable connection. I need help now.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Thank you for calling Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Technical Support. Please be advised we are currently experiencing multiple service interruptions across Ontario due to severe weather. Our technical teams have been engaged and full service will be restored as soon as possible.

Saw this message trying to reach out to chat support. Is my issue what they're talking about?

Hey @herrshaun.

A consistent home network connection is most certainly important when working from home! I do hope you were able to get a hold of support, is the issue still occurring? I've reviewed the traceroute results and ping test provided. and the traceroute information doesn't indicate an issue within the Rogers network and 1% packet loss (59/60) with a single packet occasionally lost, though should not be occurring, also shouldn't be service debilitating. Keep us posted.

@RogersAndy

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Just an update it's been a month and Rogers is still looking into my issue and its only gotten worse over the last week my CMTS latency has been extremely bad 

Look at the CMTS latency PLEASE fix this soon:

Click here for details
--- 99.228.xxx.xxx ping statistics ---
403 packets transmitted, 402 received, 0.248139% packet loss, time 402243ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.907/158.982/532.186/90.874 ms

158 ms average 

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

Just to let everyone still posting in this thread know;

This is a structural problem within the Rogers network for all latency sensitive games.  It has been going on ever since ignite was installed. 

They do not measure latency on their network, and they only measure jitter, as latency within a large multi-packet download.

The problem is that their network router processors are overloaded, managing traffic.  Individual upstream packets get stacked up at peak times waiting to be processed.  On a large download the pacing packets sent upstream do not go through the same software, they are precleared, so they do not jitter.

When playing a game however, at peak times, if their are other gamers on your node, or just a lot of traffic, you will get jitter and latency spikes on a regular basis, as the upstream packets stack up.  This is because every small gaming packet sent upstream goes through the same processing and QOS pacing as a request for a 2GB download, or the request for a webpage.  And they take the same time for the network software to process.

I've given up trying to get my problem fixed and now I am moving to an area with Bell, so I am finally going to be able to play online games again.  🙂

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

The thing is, before the "severe weather" problems too place, I could do a 3600-hit ping test at any time and get 10-50 ms range with all packets. It's not as bad as it was yesterday, but this is still not acceptable:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:80f::2004:

Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3589, Lost = 11 (0% loss),
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 513ms, Average = 12ms

This is how it was back in February/March. It was brutal one night, they did some maintenance (I guess) and it was better, but still bad. I really hope that this doesn't go on for months like last time. I will see how it is tomorrow (can't be bothered to monitor it now), and if it doesn't improve then I guess I'm putting in a ticket.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

During the first few months of 2020, my latency and packet loss stats were beyond abysmal, as was the case for MANY others.  Since that got resolved, network performance for me has been consistently good.  These ping stats are pretty typical for me now:

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3600, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 11ms

Clearly, some areas are experiencing more problems than others.  I can't complain.

zxcvbnm123
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I spent the last two weeks trying to talk to Rogers, tried everything they told me to do; switched modem, had technician came in and said everything was good, signals lines etc. They did numerous amounts of test in their end and always said everything is normal on their side till they said there's nothing they can do to fix this problem but to post here in the forums and ask for help.

Using a Hitron CODA-4582(swapped out for a new one recently). I get obnoxious ping spikes online, happens very randomly but it only happens for one second, could be once to five spikes in an hour throughout the day.

https://imgur.com/a/mYJXzLT

Tracing route to http://iad.valve.net [208.78.164.2] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms CODA4582 [192.168.0.1] 2 15 ms 10 ms 11 ms 99.227.224.1 3 10 ms 11 ms 12 ms 24.156.158.245 4 10 ms 9 ms 12 ms 209.148.237.85 5 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 209.148.237.77 6 13 ms 18 ms 17 ms 209.148.233.94 7 31 ms 26 ms 27 ms 209.148.233.102 8 29 ms 32 ms 26 ms 162.254.192.236 9 * * * Request timed out. 10 31 ms 28 ms 25 ms http://164-78-208-2.valve.net [208.78.164.2]

Ping statistics for 208.78.164.1: Packets: Sent = 1298, Received = 1296, Lost = 2 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 208ms, Average = 34ms

Pinged the official game servers on US east, also pinged different websites, from different companies and they all had the same spikes.

I also tried pinging on a wireless laptop, and on another wired computer that's not the one I am using and they all have the same results. This has never happened before this year but started to show up the past three months. I have been browsing this forums and looks like some people are in the same boat and the answer I see is that rogers on their end did something on their side and ruined stability. Although you won't see anything if you just go on netflix or browse the internet, unless you're tech savvy or play video games professionally. This is my last resort as my only other option is to switch ISPs like some people on this forums since I tried everything rogers told me.

Hoping for a fix!

raymond111
I plan to stick around

Pretty much this.  I have tried troubleshooting with Rogers etc.  They will NEVER admit their is a problem within their network.  As long as your modems signal levels are fine their is NOTHING you can do to fix latency issues.  You are wasting your time trying to find the problem as it lies within Rogers and not within your home network.  

A good test of this is to try gaming anytime after 2am.  If you are still seeing huge latency spikes then its probably a problem within your home.  If you are seeing consistent ping of 60 or lower then you know your node is overloaded during the day and nothing you can do to fix it.