Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
herrshaun
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

The good pings are smaller, but the ping spikes are getting longer. I just had 3 2000ms+ pings in a row, and then back to 8-12 ms. I get the feeling that the engineers are fixing the wrong thing.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@m4te here are some items to consider:

1.  Bell appears to route a good majority of its traffic thru Chicago for some reason.  End result, the Rogers and Bell routing are probably completely different. 

2.  Even though you and your friend are situated close together, you might be connected to a completely different neighbourhood node and CMTS.  The neighbourhood nodes don't show up in a trace.  If the modem is in Gateway mode with a direct connection, or, the modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, and with a direct connection to the router, the second hop in the trace is the CMTS.  If you and your friend were to compare a trace to the same point, have a look at the IP address in hop #2 to see if its the same address.  If so, you're both on the same CMTS.  I would expect the routing to be the same to the same endpoint.  If not, ok, then you're on a different CMTS, in which case the routing will be slightly different, but, I'd expect to see the two routes converge after one or two hops.  

3.  Probably the only staff who could tell you if you were both on the same neighbourhood node would be tech support or perhaps @RogersAndy or @RogersMoin or @RogersTony.  You would have to send one of them the MAC address of the two modems in order to track down the connected neighbourhood node and the connected port on the node.  Even if you were on the same node, you could be on different ports, which is highly probable if the neighbourhood node is nearby.  Each node port would support some number of connected modems (500, 1000, or 1500 ??) and have its own noise issues and cable issues to contend with.  All of those factors combined could result in different modem performance observed by yourself and your friend.  I think the biggest factor would be the total number of modems connected to each port.  If your node port had a significantly higher number of supported modems, then you would end up with less transmit time slots and higher latency.  This is down into the weeds level, but, knowing how many modems are connected to each port would provide some idea of why there might be a difference in latency.  Beyond that, differences in noise levels experienced by both modems could have an impact on the data rates.  If you were to compare both modem's signal levels, QAM levels and signal to noise , that might provide another part of the puzzle.  

When you compare your gaming performance to your friend on Bell, there are a couple of points that might work in his favour:

1.  VDSL can definitely give you lower latency, as see in the following chart:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32680851-

2.  Bell's routing to the servers in question might just be in his favour.

The bigger question, I think, when you're trying to compare numbers and understand the differences, is the routing and peering issue.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again (hello moderators), the gaming community here in the forum could really make use of an Ask the Expert session with someone who is knowledgeable in Rogers routing beyond the borders, and knowledgeable with Rogers peering partners.  The additional aspect of this is the throughput at the exchanges that Rogers is connected to.  For example, for Torix, the Toronto Internet Exchange, the exchange web site indicates that Rogers has a 40 Gb/s link, while Teksavvy has a 100 Gb/s link.  If you look at the following chart, you can see the throughput rates at Torix.  Keep in mind that it doesn't provide the whole story of total ISP peering throughput rates.  This is just for Torix connected companies, at Torix:

https://www.torix.ca/peers/

Here's the data from the peering database.  Note that this is the pubic data, so there is more that can't be seen"

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/307

So, these are a couple of examples, and maybe Rogers exchange links elsewhere provide enough throughput, or maybe not.  At the end of the day, the customers don't care, unless their throttled by a lack of throughput due to the choices that Rogers has made in its routing and peering and throughput data rates.  This appears to be a closely guarded secret squirrel issue, and as a result, its a total black hole for the gamers who use Rogers.  Fwiw, TPIAs appear to be willing to discuss issues like this, or at the very least attempt to sort out issues due to routing, larger incumbents appear to do nothing.  That's from observations of posts from users with various ISPs expressing frustrations with their routing.  

Hope this helps.

Zealotki11er
I Plan to Stick Around

This is just brutal. Roger needs to get their act together. Capture.PNGIMG_20200307_183552.jpg

RogersLaura

Hello @LimboMan,

I definitely get your frustration as everyone has their breaking point. In all honesty, we'd be pretty devastated to lose your valued business after 25+ years!! 😟

If at all possible, we'd love for you to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can do a deeper dive into your issue. We can run some tests at our end but may also need to collect some data from you as well. After the necessary tests are run we'll be able to determine if this is an isolated issue or if it's related to the latency issues impacting some of our users who have posted here.

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kindest of regards,

RogersLaura

jtm437
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersLaura this is just ridiculous... This is clearly not an isolated issue for anyone here as we've all been through this spiel with multiple Roger's reps and their testing has only proven that the issue lies with Roger's infrastructure and is not isolated to individual users. Also, "related to the latency issues impacting some of our users who have posted here" is an insane response. "Some" is clearly thousands of users. Obviously only a small percentage of users experiencing this issue will comment on this thread so fact that we are at almost 500 posts means that this is a very wide spread issue.

Believe me, if Rogers didn't have a monopoly on my area, I'd have switched to another ISP within the first week of having this issue. It's been 3 weeks now and the problem has only gotten worse. Working from home is essential to my line of work (and is only becoming more essential as COVID-19 is forcing companies to make employee work from home) and with these ping spikes it is making it very hard. Streaming and calling is a nightmare with all of the interruptions.

How this hasn't blown up on social media is beyond me but it has to be a ticking time bomb at this point. This has to be the worst customer service I've ever dealt with as their is zero transparency into what is actually happening here.

seadooxp30
I Plan to Stick Around

@ jtm437

I agree with you completely.

I do work from home time to time and this is big issue.

I have 5 weeks old case with Rogers regarding this which also causes big issue with ignite TV feed as well.

Finally after 5 weeks I had one day of no issue.

They are finally saying that yes there is issue on line somewhere.

Why does it take 5 weeks and 20 calls to get to this point.

I'm on same boat as you. If Bell had gigabit in my area I wouldn't be here!

Richie45
I've Been Here Awhile

Having this issue as well. Started a few weeks ago, and has gotten progressively worse. For me, the days have been a lot worse than nights. Not an issue for most but I work evenings, so would appreciate having it work during the day. I'm on the Ignite 150 bundle. Every minute or so, the Ignite tv and internet completely craps out (I'm using LTE to type this). Obviously tried re-booting everything. Also went to the extreme measure of factory resetting my Asus router. No luck. Called Rogers. Got the typical "everything looks good" on their end, and must be a "wifi" issue. Really? Gee thanks.

Just wanted to add another name to this growing list.

super_robot
I Plan to Stick Around

The problem is only a small % of people actually notice the issues. Most people only stream netflix/spotify which works fine for the most part even if you have high latency/packet loss. People who work from home and people who game are likely going to notice the poor performance.   Assuming their infrastructure needs to be upgraded to accommodate the current load, the investment might not be worth it considering only a small amount of people complain. Obviously I am only guessing but I would think their $ is on the 5G/Fiber expansion. 

I wonder who will have fiber service in my area faster.. BELL or Rogers 🤔

JJSG
I'm Here A Lot

After having tech support telling me the issue is on my end for a month in a row, I'm switching to Bell this weekend. Been with Rogers 20 years, not that it matters to them. I would recommend you all to do the switch since the problem clearly isn't being addressed. You can get some sweet new customer bundles (check RFD). Found $99.90/mth for gigabit Internet, better tv, and home phone. Looking forward to the switch. 

JRandell
I Plan to Stick Around

Just an update regarding my tech visit on Monday.  He replaced the line from the pole coming into my house.  Replaced my arris modem with a technicolor modem and told me a node in my area was in the process of either being repaired or replaced which I got a confirmation text last night saying it was fixed.  Been playing World of Tanks now with pings between 42-110ms.  Much better than the 999+ I was getting over the past two weeks.  He also told me that Rogers is currently doing a Nationwide upgrade over the next two years which will affect various areas.  Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and BC are currently undergoing the upgrades this year with the rest of Canada to follow.

Also, do not call rogers 1-888 number as the call center techs are useless.  Use the ignite concierge number instead.

1-866-299-3622.  They are much better to deal with.