cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Really eh? Maybe I should contact them too so there’s more attention on it for our area. Did you just call the customer service line to speak with a tech?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@P0ison1vy wrote:

just got off the phone, the tech support said he saw some noise in my connection that they're going to monitor for the next 2 days and get back to me... this doesn't look good though...

It's not "noise", or at least not for me and probably a huge number of other people.  It's particularly bad for me tonight.  It looks like the CMTS (or CMTS router or some other piece of network gear in the node) suddenly stops forwarding traffic for seconds at a time and then everything goes back to normal again.  I know that traffic is getting blocked in the downstream direction.  I think that it's very likely happening in the upstream direction as well but I need to hack together some software to confirm that.

you should. they ought to know if it's a widespread problem.  i just contacted the internet help line.

P0ison1vy
I'm here a lot

yeah, I'm very much a lay person, but I don't feel good about his "noise" diagnosis. According to pingplotter, i've got some bad packet loss/jitter. my issues are constant; i can't play any games at all because of the constant rubberbanding. 

Singh31
I plan to stick around
I'll have to go take a walk by node and see if they did any sort of work to it, because so far it's been pretty good the last three days.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Heh... no wonder things are so bad tonight!  Check out this post from Start.ca's main network guy: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32682704-

There's been a very large increase in traffic today on most networks including ours due to the Call of Duty game release. I honestly haven't seen anything this bad in many years. I suspect things will come back to normal very soon tonight.

Just to give you an idea of the amplitude of this...look at this TorIX graph which is the largest IX in Canada...they broke their record by a large margin tonight.

blackbox970
I've been here awhile

Well it seemed like the situation was getting better - the past few days for me were pretty stable.  I got my hopes up.

And then tonight the issue reared its ugly head once again in all its glory.  Rubber banding all over the place while trying to game all night. 😒

This is beyond frustrating at this point.  I guess I might just have to bite the bullet and switch to Bell 50mbps, because continuing to pay for this service as it is right now is a joke.

m4te
I plan to stick around

Is there really no easy fix that Rorgers can implement in their infrastructure that will benefit gamers? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@m4te wrote:

Is there really no easy fix that Rorgers can implement in their infrastructure that will benefit gamers? 

We'll see.  I've confirmed that things are getting gummed up at the CMTS and am trying to provide whatever data I can to Rogers while they troubleshoot as well.

have you contacted support over this yet? I was told my internet would be monitored over the next couple of days, but looking at the forum doesn't leave me very optimistic. my deal is going to expire in a few weeks anyways so i might just switch now, if this isn't going to be fixed...

gamei56
I've been here awhile

Couldn't switch to FTTH due to building issues. In other news, internet today has been the worst its been in the last month or so. I'm struggling to write this post after the webpage "reset connection" 3 or 4 times. Drop rate is near 50%.

What the . is going on? I'm also stuck with this or Bell 100 Mbps over copper.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@P0ison1vy wrote:

have you contacted support over this yet?

I'm currently working with the Mods, sending them my findings via PM and they are in turn passing that on to others backstage.

FYI, I just got a new high score with my ping tests:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3583 received, 0% packet loss, time 3610968ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.613/345.891/11768.086/1159.638 ms, pipe 12

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

you.... win? 😉

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gamei56 wrote:

What the . is going on? I'm also stuck with this or Bell 100 Mbps over copper.

Apparently, the new Call of Duty release is breaking the Internet.

P0ison1vy
I'm here a lot

these issues have been ongoing for a while now though. my rubberbanding has been going on for about a week at this point

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

this also causes freezing with ignite TV which I am complaining to Rogers for over 6 weeks.

They finally admitted that there is issue.

Surprise Surprise tonight was the first time without issye

I'm in Richmond Hill

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- how do you figure that the CMTS is at fault?  Don't know about your path to Rogers primary IPV4 DNS at 64.71.255.204 for example, but, fwiw, the CMTS and DNS responds to an ICMP ping, the intermediate servers don't.  Given that fact, that the end points are the only servers to respond to an ICMP ping, its difficult to come to a conclusion as to whether or not the CMTS is necessarily at fault. 

Interestingly enough, the entire path from the CMTS to the DNS responds to a tcp ping port 53.  That's new from what I can remember.  Its been a while since I checked but the last time I tried the anything other than the DNS, tcp ping wouldn't work.  So, fwiw, given that a tcp ping now appears to work, that allows customers to test beyond the CMTS and back again using tcp/ip to determine if the CMTS is a bottleneck for tcp/ip data. 

UDP is a lost cause as you need a server configured to respond to a UDP ping, or you run continuous queries to the DNS to check for latency.  

The problem here is that anyone testing for latency needs to test all three protocols ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP for both IPV4 and IPV6 to really understand what is occurring.  Each one of those has its own limitation in terms of a target that you can use.  That testing won't point to the fault necessarily, more than likely it will show the end result of the fault, latency in one or more protocols.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink  I'm doing more than just ping tests to Google.

theonwish
I've been around

Myself (rogers), my brother (tech savy) and my friend (rogers) up the street in south west etobicoke have been getting crazy lag spikes for over 3 weeks now. 

Total pain, makes multiplayer COD unplayable.

Rogers please fix it!

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@-G- If you singlehandedly get Rogers engineers on the ball, we will all buy you a steak dinner.

Hwy7
I've been here awhile
So after more than a month of constant lag while I play cod I actually had a good night tonight. I played from about 8 pm to 1am and it was smooth with no lag at all. I'm in markham so I'm hoping it's all good now but we'll see