cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

As I thought as well. That is why I declined the tech visit since there is nothing wrong on my side of the CMTS. I will wait and see if @RogersAndy is available throw the weekend to discuss. If he is not, I will definitely try tech support once again and try my luck at convincing them there is something wrong

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the mean time, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the first post in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Gaming-amp-Streaming-Lab/td-p/440211

Visuria
I plan to stick around

So I need to get in touch with a tier 2 tech to fix a CMTS loading problem? I dont know what a CMTS loading problem is. If i just say "I need to get in touch with a tier 2 tech to fix a CMTS loading problem" to support will they ask me more complex questions? like i can do these little tests and am not that tech illiterate but down know networking lingo.   

Also the game that i am having ping problems with made me run winmtr

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 12 | 218 | 194 | 1 | 13 | 68 | 10 |
| 99.235.60.1 - 8 | 238 | 219 | 7 | 14 | 99 | 10 |
| 8083-dgw01.hnsn.rmgt.net.rogers.com - 0 | 314 | 314 | 5 | 15 | 67 | 13 |
| 3000-dgw02.hnsn.rmgt.net.rogers.com - 0 | 314 | 314 | 5 | 15 | 65 | 12 |
| 209.148.235.77 - 0 | 314 | 314 | 5 | 15 | 69 | 15 |
| 209.148.233.106 - 0 | 314 | 314 | 18 | 30 | 87 | 27 |
| eqix-dc2.blizzard.com - 0 | 314 | 314 | 23 | 34 | 134 | 25 |
| ae1-br01-eqdc2.as57976.net - 0 | 314 | 314 | 27 | 41 | 135 | 38 |
| et-0-0-2-br01-eqch2.as57976.net - 0 | 314 | 314 | 29 | 42 | 113 | 34 |
| be1-pe2-eqch2.as57976.net - 0 | 314 | 314 | 27 | 38 | 91 | 32 |
| chi-eqch2-ia-bons-04.as57976.net - 0 | 314 | 314 | 29 | 40 | 97 | 33 |
| 24.105.62.129 - 0 | 314 | 314 | 28 | 38 | 91 | 34 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

rogers222.png

Not sure if this is of any help

@Visuria don't contact tech support just yet.  Your WinMTR results show a packet loss from your desktop or laptop to the modem.  That shouldn't be happening.  The average time to the modem or router should be less than 1 milli-second.  Your average is 13 ms with a high time of 68 ms.  That high time it probably the first ping, but, with WinMRT you can really know.  If you were running pingplotter it would be easy to see if that's the case.   The first step here is to determine whats going on in your own network.

1.  Are you running the ping tests via ethernet or wifi?

2.  What modem to you have, a black Hitron CGN3xxxxx modem or the white Hitron CODA-4582.  In both cases

the modem model can be seen at the back of the modem on the product sticker. 

Fwiw, the last Rogers server is 209.148.233.106.  There is a 15 ms jump in average time between that server and the Rogers server just before it, so, internally, within the Rogers network, there appears to be some issue between those two servers that is causing an increase in overall latency.  

From that last Rogers server at 209.148.233.106 you then jump to the Blizzard network.  From that change over to Blizzard's network, and within Blizzard's network, you're gaining another 8 ms, on average, which isn't a huge amount.  

The problem with WinMTR is that is shows basic results.  You can't tell if there are regular jumps in time between the best time and max time, so if there is something going on you can't see it.  That's where Pingplotter comes in, as much as I'm loath to recommend it.  You can download it and run it in Pro mode for free for 14 days.  If you don't buy a standard or pro licence by the end of 14 days it will kick down to a basic free mode where you can only see 10 minutes worth of data.  A standard licence is fine to use.  I have that but I prefer to use command line applications and Wireshark to record and plot the data.  So, that's worth considering, if only for the purposes of running it in the freebie time window. 

The first step here is to determine whats up within your own network.

To that end, can you run a ping test to the modem, if in fact you're not using a router.  This should be done via ethernet.  Assuming that the modem is running in its default configuration, the ping command would be:

ping -n 3600 192.168.0.1

That will ping the modem for an hour and terminate when complete.  Let that run in the background while your carrying on with normal computer activities.  You can run that for a longer time period by simply increasing the 3600 figure.  Windows will run one ping per second until the count down is complete.  

YbTL
I've been here awhile

Same here, my tech support said he found some problem after putting a booster or something in the basement, but he couldnt fix it. The internet sucks in past 3 weeks and getting worse.(hwy7 & bathurst)

Visuria
I plan to stick around

Hey I just had a tech come this morning and replace a booster with an equalizer or something along those lines, not entirely sure the issues been fixed tho.

Visuria
I plan to stick around

1. I am using ethernet  2. I just got the white Hitron coda after i first encountered the issue as tech support thought it might fix my problems.

As for the ping test I just started it and the time is always either 1ms or <1ms

@Visuria in the case of WinMTR, the high time ping  might be caused by the initial ping.  My statement above should have read:

That high time it probably the first ping, but, with WinMRT you can't really know. 

instead of 

"That high time it probably the first ping, but, with WinMRT you can really know. "

Sorry for the typo.

Ok, so you're now running the white Hitron CODA-4582.  Can you log into the modem when you have time and navigate to the STATUS ... DOCSIS WAN tab.  Copy the signal stats in their entirety and paste that into a post please.  To do that select, or highlight the start of the "Downstream Overview" line, and go all the way to the very bottom right hand corner of the OFDM/OFDMA section.  With that area selected, right click, .... Copy.  Then paste that into a post, right click, ..... Paste.  The end result should look like the table in the modem's UI.

Can you have a look at the amp or equalizer that the tech installed and let me know the model number off of the front of the device.  I'd like to look that up so that I understand whats installed.  If its powered, it will be an amplifier.  If its not a powered device, then it should be a simple splitter.  Are you running more than one Rogers service in your home, such as Home Phone or Cable TV in the form of the Nextbox's?

Visuria
I plan to stick around

rogers 11.pngrogers 22.png

rogers 33.png

Yes I also have cable tv

Visuria
I plan to stick around

rogers 44.png

Ok, so, the signal levels look ok, and the ping time to the modem looks good.  Can you determine if the cable to the modem is connected to the Voip port on that amp?  If you're not running a Voip phone, that port should be used for the modem. 

Hey @t27c and @Visuria!

It's definitely clear from the information provided that there's a visible issue. It'll come down to a matter of identifying what's going on and taking the necessary steps to resolve it. Datalink made some incredibly helpful observations as well so as always thanks so much! I would like to note that in speaking with Tier II support, their time available to assist is limited to the time they spend on the phone with you, and in cases such as this, that may not be sufficient. If you have though spoken with them we can review their notes and speak with them directly if needed. I would highly recommend reaching out to @CommunityHelps so we can take a closer look at things like area network impact, RF, noise, congestion and determine the next best steps for you.

As much as seeing these types of issues is painful, and knowing firsthand how incredibly destructive this can be to a gaming/streaming experience, the one positive I can provide from all of this is that solving these types of issues has become a huge passion for me. It's what I now spend a lot of my weeks doing and I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of this for you both.

@RogersAndy

t27c
I plan to stick around
@RogersAndy Thank you for your timely response. So far my experience on these forums have been great. And I do actually feel as though my problems are being heard and understood how frustrating it can be when these types of issues happen. I appreciate your will to find out the cause of this nasty problem I’m having. I will reach out to @CommunityHelps at once

Visuria
I plan to stick around

I dont have voip. I can't determine it by looking, I can check later on by just unplugging it and seeing if it loses connection that way though right?

Yup, that works.  Be careful when you reinstall the connector onto the amp, that you don't over torque the connector.  Just slightly beyond hand tight is good.  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@t27c when you have time, can you run the following traces and post the result.  Run the traces one after the other as they complete and then post the three of them in one post.  I'm wondering where the paths to the Rogers DNS, Google DNS and OpenDNS diverge, given that you see 20% or more pinging the Rogers DNS and no losses from the other DNS targets.  You shouldn't see any loss to the Rogers DNS and very little loss, if any to any DNS outside of Rogers.  If you ran a test for 24 hours, at a faster rate, which is what I run, you should see a loss somewhere below 0.1%

Ok, so, just to see where the paths diverge:

tracert 64.71.255.204

tracert 8.8.8.8

tracert 208.67.222.222

t27c
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

Tracing route to dns.cp.net.rogers.com [64.71.255.204]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
2 35 ms 22 ms 66 ms 99.255.58.1
3 49 ms 79 ms 31 ms 8177-dgw02.ktgc.rmgt.net.rogers.com [69.63.242.189]
4 26 ms 19 ms 38 ms 69.63.249.209
5 47 ms 18 ms 45 ms 209.148.227.157
6 28 ms 34 ms 40 ms 10.202.47.161
7 32 ms 31 ms 35 ms dns.cp.net.rogers.com [64.71.255.204]

Trace complete.

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
2 19 ms 73 ms 41 ms 99.255.58.1
3 27 ms 15 ms 13 ms 8177-dgw02.ktgc.rmgt.net.rogers.com [69.63.242.189]
4 43 ms 42 ms 77 ms 209.148.237.53
5 37 ms 87 ms 41 ms 209.148.230.6
6 60 ms 33 ms 31 ms 72.14.222.87
7 45 ms 22 ms 39 ms 74.125.244.161
8 49 ms 94 ms 29 ms 216.239.42.61
9 56 ms 23 ms 16 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Tracing route to resolver1.opendns.com [208.67.222.222]

1 4 ms 1 ms 1 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
2 35 ms 61 ms 37 ms 99.255.58.1
3 60 ms 21 ms 30 ms 8177-dgw01.ktgc.rmgt.net.rogers.com [69.63.242.185]
4 73 ms 30 ms 59 ms 69.63.249.205
5 16 ms 73 ms 36 ms 209.148.235.42
6 42 ms 75 ms 26 ms opendns.ip4.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.229]
7 31 ms 63 ms 47 ms resolver1.opendns.com [208.67.222.222]

Trace complete.

expodonent
I plan to stick around

i've had the exact same issue since last august, after having 4 technicians come in, 3 different modems, and a lot of different diagnostic tests rogers finally located the problem and blamed the issue on external hops and said there is nothing they can do about it because its not their fault which sounds like obvious scripted words they give the customer reps to feed us. 

hw7 & bayview area, 6 months of this now where i have not been able to game properly anytime between 4pm-1am on weekdays, all day saturday and sunday.  worst part is bell only offers up to 50mbps/10mbps DSL in my neighbourhood so i'm basically stuck with rogers until they fix it, which they won't even admit is their fault to begin with.

this is infuriating.

youutube88
I've been here awhile

Hey.

I'm having all the same issues as these guys are... Can you help me diagnose this?

DOCSIS

docsis.png

easo.ea.com

This is what EA says to test for. This is absolutely messed up. Anyways, I'm trying to play Battlefield1 on EA servers. I know its not theirs because nobody else is complaining. I know these results are weird...

easo.png

I use a wired ethernet connection. Just showing this to show that my link to the router is good...

local.png

The ping test to 64.71.255.204 (bad too)
64.71.255.204.png

Pingplotter to 99.249.122.1

99.png

I have the CODA-4582 with the 2.0.10.36T6 firmware.
I'm from Midland, ON area. Gigabit plan.
Used to work great. Now its atrocious. I don't notice it for downloading but I'm sure there are a lot of re-transfers going on I'm just not aware of them...

I personally think the modem is pooched but you seem to really know your stuff so I thought I'd run it by you first.

I run the net-state in the Battlefield game and the Pkt loss is occuring before I even begin PLAYING the game. Like when its the opening lobby or whatever... It never works, however I played ONE game before dinner a couple nights ago and it was perfect!

Maybe Rogers needs to fix some routes or something? Maybe I got old connectors. My cable line is suspended in the air.

Yes it’s not only you I got friends who play EA games online with other providers in my area and I’m with Rogers playing together in the same game and my ping / latency is always higher for some reason we play ea nhl 20 so I’m thinking it’s the route Rogers takes to there servers it’s been like this for a long time now games are non playable with delay and slow

Your signal levels are a little on the high side.
'within spec' is technically between +/- 10... and your sitting up near 9.
So that could possibly be effecting things.