cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

The bufferbloat is much worse with the new ignite modem replacement I got today. It went from a grade of C to F https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=eebda29a-8ff6-4c29-82d2-dfd2e38e0e68.

I'm noticing more lags in my gaming experience.

Does the firmware have Smart Queue Management implemented?

No, no SQM.  The XB6 and XB7 gateways also do not have the CPU power needed to implement SQM and sustain the full subscribed speed of even the 500u service.  Users also already complain about fan noise, even when the gateway's CPU is not under any load.

However, if you enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway and enable (and correctly configure) SQM your own router, you can improve things significantly for latency-sensitive applications while the network is under load:

Ignite-SQM_enabled.jpg

testlin
I've been here awhile

Thanks for you reply. That's really not ideal for a typical user though. Could you point me to a guide for enabling bridge mode on the ignite modem and how to check if a router supports SQM?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

Thanks for you reply. That's really not ideal for a typical user though. Could you point me to a guide for enabling bridge mode on the ignite modem and how to check if a router supports SQM?

Enabling Bridge Mode is easy:  Just go to http://10.0.0.1 , log into your router, and enable Bridge Mode.  Of course, do this only AFTER you have installed and configured your own router.

If you also have Ignite TV, beware that Rogers will not be able to provide you with any support in this configuration.  You will also be responsible for providing flawless Wi-Fi coverage within your home on your own.  If you require any level of support from Rogers, you really are best off running your Ignite gateway in a normal, standard configuration, with Bridge Mode disabled.

As for which routers support SQM, I have no idea.  Gamers here might be able to provide you with recommendations.  I run OpenWrt and have the luci-app-sqm and sqm-scripts packages installed.

Even if you do have an SQM-capable router, you still need to configure it properly and fine-tune the configuration for optimal results... otherwise, you will end up burning CPU on your router and your latency-sensitive applications will still perform just as poorly as they ever have, perhaps worse.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

I have been thinking some more about this.  I'm not a gamer but I do run some latency-sensitive applications, and I never really had a problem with bufferbloat in a practical sense with my XB6 running in gateway mode.  Sure, I never received stellar scores on bufferbloat tests but presumably AQM did its thing and I always got acceptable performance.

I pointed out the downsides of SQM: it's only vendor-supported on a few high-end routers, it needs to be configured correctly, and without specialized hardware support, SQM will put a huge load on your CPU and significantly limit your network throughput.

The reality is that I don't need "A+" bufferbloat test scores, and I would rather not cook the insides of my router, so I don't typically have SQM enabled.  I can still get "B" and "C" bufferbloat scores, even without using my own router, and that's good enough for me.

I don't know what to make of the scores that you got.  I would test again.  If you continue to see unacceptable performance on a wired Ethernet connection, I would reach out to @CommunityHelps  for assistance.   I know that some of the Moderators are avid gamers and may be able to assist further as well.

testlin
I've been here awhile

I did couple more tests and I'm getting Cs now https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=39df6e99-e09c-4f4b-8ae9-70f1822603e9

Same results from dslreports. I didn't configure anything nor restarted the modem so I have no idea why such a big difference but I'll take it ha.

colton30
I plan to stick around
i cant run my modem in bridge mode or i get bad speeds, when not in bridge mode speeds are fine not sure if that helps any

missedFG
I plan to stick around

Poor latency over a Rogers hop? I've recently noticed that the latency I normally get in the games I play has gone up considerably (Valorant on the Illinois/Chicago server mainly). Where I used to get 25ms ping, I'm now getting 50ms+. I made an inquiry with the developer directly and also ran some traceroutes and noticed that one particular hop is giving me quite poor latency relative to everything else.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                          24.156.151.181 -    0 |    9 |    9 |   13 |   16 |   25 |   14 |
|    3132-cgw01.bloor.rmgt.net.rogers.com -    0 |    9 |    9 |   14 |   19 |   27 |   25 |
|       9403-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com -    0 |    9 |    9 |   16 |   19 |   27 |   25 |
|                          209.148.237.21 -    0 |    9 |    9 |   51 |   54 |   63 |   51 |
|           eqix-ch2.chi01.riotdirect.net -    0 |    9 |    9 |   50 |   55 |   65 |   60 |
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I've pasted a snippet of the WinMTR results above (removed the first couple of hops)

The issue is that fourth hop in the list at 209.148.237.21 it seems? The developer said that this is not their server and when looking up the two Rogers servers in the 2nd and 3rd row, it seems they have IP's starting with 209.148.x.x as well (209.148.233.185 and 209.148.235.230) so I'm thinking the high ping hop is also Rogers owned.

Is this something I can ask tech support to help me look into in terms of how much traffic is routed?

Greetings @missedFG!

While these ping times fall within our tolerance levels, it's definitely worth investigating for potential issues with your connection if this behaviour only began recently. 

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

amd7674
I plan to stick around

I'm having recent issues with high bufferbloat  too...

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=5a4b990b-864d-463c-9301-9cacf2568b19

my pc gaming kids are having issues with Valorant 😞  Also I'm getting some VPN issues too which impact my work from home.

I'm on 7.2.4.1.4b15, which I asked to be rollback to 7.1.1.37 Rev. 2 without much luck... Can someone PLEASE help me to roll back to 7.1.1.37 Rev. 2?    I was promised by one of the mods almost 2 months ago to be done and be removed from firmware trial program.

Please help.

tulowindow
I plan to stick around

sigh....

the entire last winter I had this ping spiking issue and micro disconnect issue. originally, the issue had stemmed from I believe their rollout of OFDMA, which by the way is completely unconfirmed because Rogers is next to useless. Once OFDMA was disabled, finally i started to get normal performance.

I don't know what started happening in the last couple weeks, but the issue is back and I'm so fed up already. Try consistently being the reason that your business conference calls have to get interrupted multiple times a call. Thats rogers stuff. Imagine trying to stream content live and getting disconnected constantly, try playing games that have network compensation built in while you warp around like a clown on your rogers connection.

I was told last year that they were going to enhance the infrastructure in March of 2021. Well, here we are in 2022 and the issue still exists. I hate this internet more than anything. I was watching a movie on Netflix with my wife 3 nights ago, and we got disconnected 9 times during a 2 hour movie. NINE TIMES. It's insane.

Jok9
I plan to stick around

I'm in the exact same boat right now man. I had issues all last winter until ofdma was disabled and now for the past month or so I've been getting packetloss again. Once again the tech's say everything is fine, and when the supports tests it they cant see the packetloss. Ofdma is also reenabled again lmao. 

alpheeleblanc
I've been here awhile

i have the same problem they came over change everything but i find its getting worst

this is on a good day

1 64 ms 2 ms 1 ms 2607:fea8:ec68:db00:8e6a:8dff:fe4b:d84a
2 11 ms 14 ms 13 ms 2607:f798:80c:64::1
3 23 ms 24 ms 25 ms 2607:f798:10:c00a:0:672:3122:1249
4 34 ms 28 ms 31 ms 2607:f798:10:3f3:0:690:6325:45
5 41 ms 38 ms 38 ms 2607:f798:10:3a2:0:690:6324:8077
6 42 ms 42 ms 40 ms 2607:f798:10:38b9:0:2019:4823:3130
7 44 ms 42 ms 39 ms 2607:f798:14:60:0:2091:4821:5154
8 44 ms * 42 ms 2001:4860::1c:4000:f5e9
9 44 ms 40 ms 41 ms 2001:4860:0:1::c4f
10 42 ms 43 ms 42 ms yul02s04-in-x04.1e100.net [2607:f8b0:4020:804::2004]

cant even play vanguard ping goes up and down every min thinking of looking for a new internet provider. last time i call they told me there ping 40 to 50 was normal,,, been with them for years and i had a ping of 5 or 6 and on bad days it could go up to 15 and 18  ,now they tell me its normal that it up to 40 and 50 ,,yeah right