Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcoll83ca
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

I figured I might as well chime in here. I'm also experiencing high ping/latency and also packet burst issues when gaming after 10pm AST.  It is especially bad Friday and Saturday. Games like Fortnite and Modern Warfare ill get 100+ ping and severe packet burst. It literally makes the games unplayable. I have tried everything I can to resolve the issue on my end. Port forwarding, changing DNS servers, putting the router in bridge mode and using my own router.. nothing works.

I have tried working with the tech support team and they have told me there is "noise" on the line which could be causing the issue. Each time I contact them they somehow reset the signals going to the router and it temporarily fixes the problem but then it just reoccurs.

At this point I'm at a loss as to what else can be done other then a tech coming out, which they seem reluctant to do.

SquishyTomato
I'm Here A Lot

The noise on the line is insane, I've had a tech come in 3 times to "fix" the noise in the line, still get insane lag spikes.

same issues as you, Warzone is unplayable due to the lag and packet loss

AngryChicken
I Plan to Stick Around

I would reach out to the community support moderators about this, though I haven’t seen a post by them on this thread in over a week. Likely they are getting tired of repeating plays from the same playbook all the time as Rogers corporate had done nothing to ameliorate the situation and probably won’t unless you open a formal complaint. And by that, I mean with the CCTS. If you are not aware of that organization, you will find it in a quick Google search! I have an open complaint with them and it’s now back to Rogers to suggest a remedy.

Ultimately the remedy is to ease the congestion in their network which is causing the latency issues which quite a few users are experiencing. This will never be solved in “the last mile”, meaning the cables to our houses and the equipment therein (ie their modem). The problem can only be resolved by upgrading and segmenting their infrastructure in the core of their network and where it serves our neighborhoods, so we have more traffic lanes into their network.

Yes we’re all living with COVID (it sucks!) and all the resultant stay-at-home workers and learners saturating the network, but.... at the end of the day it is a contract. We pay them handsomely for the service and despite all their legalese in their terms of service with us (and which is worded in their favour) they have to deliver the service we pay for.

My hats are off to the wonderful community support ninjas that I have met on this forum. Not at all their fault so let’s help one another by opening up complaints with the CCTS and put Rogers’ feet to the fire.
PizzaBear
I Plan to Stick Around

@SquishyTomato

I am curious about a couple things, can you provide to the forums how your modem signal page is showing.

Also, can you do a ping test of 50 pings to:
192.168.50.1 ( if asus, or 192.168.1.1 )

if you modem is in bridge mode ( also ping 192.168.100.1 ).

Also ping 8.8.8.8

Don't post the entire ping, just copy/paste the ping result (min,max,avg)

AngryChicken
I Plan to Stick Around

My complaint that I opened with CCTS about my Rogers issues was resolved to my satisfaction.  Rogers will not change their shovels-in-the-ground date of June 2021 time frame to increase our network capacity where I live, but to their credit they agreed that they hadn't lived up to their end of the deal regarding my service.  I ended up with a generous one-time bill credit and an ongoing credit for the next year. 

BTW, June 2021 seems pretty soon but should be measured against the fact that they had previously said it would be done in June 2020. 

Meanwhile, as I write this (but to fair, it's not always like this):

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.844]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\erics>ping -t 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3121ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2112ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=655ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1856ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3598ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3213ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2077ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=352ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=116

chemical1
I Plan to Stick Around

They better do something because Bell Fibre is coming to my area and I have been a customer with Rogers for probably 20 years but am just tired of the service.

Nyyksi
I've Been Around

I just switched to Rogers from Bell about mid-February. Rogers offered 1gbps compared to Bell's 100mbps available in my area. I needed to change because 100mbps was Bell's fastest in my area but I needed more due to family moving in and the internet load would be higher.

At first it was okay. The internet was fast and stable but slowly over time got worse and worse. I'm now reaching ping spikes to the thousands when I game, averaging out in the triple-digits most of the time, making most games unplayable.

Apart from my gaming, my mother and sister needs the internet for working from home and their load isn't light either. Video calls mostly but their connection was incredibly spotty, or so I was told.

Rogers support HAS been contacted, they even offered to text me updates upon updates. I received a text this morning saying it has been fixed. Nothing has changed, it was even called a TV issue despite not having cable or anything TV related.

Rogers, I'm paying good money for this service with the expectation of stable internet at the minimum. Please communicate with us, this problem has been around for way too long from what it looks like. It doesn't help that I'm paying for 1Gbps but only able to use not even half of it.

RogersCorey

Good morning @Nyyksi!

If you're still experiencing Internet issues after an escalation, you've come to the right place for further help.

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersCorey

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

. - this describes my issue exactly. I just bought a $300 gaming router off amazon which should arrive tomorrow... but now it seems like it won't help anything... maybe I should cancel that order.

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

you're not going to like hearing this, but I just switched from Bell Fibe to Rogers Ignite BECAUSE of my awful latency and Bell's tech support's inability to help. I've been with Rogers for a few weeks now and my latency is actually worse. I can't even watch the Ignite TV! Extremely disappointing.