Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

PS4 Packet Loss

I have 1gb down and 30mbps up...I have been getting packetloss, I have netgear xr500 router, which allows to connect to closer server, but even then i have packetloss. I have QOS on. For some reason I get high latency and packet loss..I dont understand why. I called yesterday and they restarted the modem but even then i have packetloss and the person kept saying make sure your ports forwarding are correct. but i have a open NAT.

So I dont know what to do.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was just informed by support that a ticket has already been generated for server maintenance/upgrades that wont be completed until May 15th.  (node congestion)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sukhwinder2392 wrote:

PS4 Packet Loss

I have 1gb down and 30mbps up...I have been getting packetloss, I have netgear xr500 router, which allows to connect to closer server, but even then i have packetloss. I have QOS on. For some reason I get high latency and packet loss..I dont understand why. I called yesterday and they restarted the modem but even then i have packetloss and the person kept saying make sure your ports forwarding are correct. but i have a open NAT.

So I dont know what to do.

Actually, enabling QoS (or any other forms of prioritization or traffic shaping) will likely make your situation worse, not better.  You need to implement QoS carefully and prescriptively.  Any time that you implement traffic prioritization, you are creating separate internal priority queues in your router and splitting network traffic across those queues.  If the majority of traffic on your network is gaming (and/or from one computer) and if you have (for example) two internal priority queues, then you are effectively halving the number of available packet buffers... and if they overflow, you get packet loss.  Secondly, if your QoS scheme implements some form of rate limiting, one of the ways that it does this (and force a network client to slow down transmission) is to intentionally drop network packets.  Furthermore, once you start rate-limiting traffic, this will also force a network client to queue packets locally... and this will result in additional packet loss because network packets will get dropped when the local queues overflow.

QoS is meant to be used in times when your network is congested; when you need to implement controls to smartly manage traffic from multiple computers and multiple applications as it flows from a high-speed network to a lower-speed network and you do not have sufficient egress bandwidth.  The only way to eliminate packet loss is to have sufficient end-to-end bandwidth and to over-engineer the network to eliminate constraints.  

It's also unrealistic to demand network performance that is superior to the ones used in telerobotic surgery.  That expectation is neither practical nor feasible on a service that is designed to meet the needs of the masses as cost-effectively as possible, and that is why residential Internet (from any provider) is best-effort only and does not offer any service level commitments.  Rogers can and should take steps to minimize jitter and to eliminate large latency spikes (that are currently being introduced at the point where traffic is routed at the local node) but they cannot guarantee zero packet loss, especially when the Internet itself can only deliver traffic on a best-effort basis.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Which area are you at? @luckyfiveo 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Orangeville
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ping Plotter Packet Loss Help

Hey, 

I was wondering if someone is able to help me diagnose my internet issues and what could be the problem, here are my ping plotter results, as you can see I have packet loss pinging from my Modem and the jitter seems to be unstable also, any help would be appreciated. Ping_Plotter_Test_-_April_7_2020.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Marando  This looks like the same issue that all of us here have been seeing (to varying degrees) for the past few months.  Fortunately, I am no longer seeing 8000 ms ping RTTs but when I ping 8.8.8.8, I still see regular latency spikes that vary from 20 to 150 ms... and on rare occasions, much more.  One of the things that I do is perform simultaneous, timestamped ping tests (in two separate windows) to my CMTS router and to 8.8.8.8, and I note the results.  Sometimes, the ping RTT to the first upstream router exceeds that of the corresponding ping all the way to Google's server, and that's indicative not only of the latency that is getting introduced at the network edge but also that the router is busy enough doing something that it cannot immediately respond to ICMP Echo Requests.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-  Thanks for the reply,  So is there nothing that can be done on my end or Rogers end to fix the issue, I play games semi- professionally and for the last few months it has been very difficult with play while my character always stutters and rubber bands, for the most part my ping stays steady at 40-60ms however I get packet loss indications and also with my ping plot results show there is an obvious problem. 

Its a problem that I get a more stable internet off my phone hotspot data than my hardwired home internet , however I cant just use my phone data because I have a data limit 

Is there nothing that can be done to fix this? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Marando wrote:

Is there nothing that can be done to fix this? 

I don't think so.  This seems to be the new normal for now.  I presume that the problem was caused by an upgrade and/or configuration change that should have "just worked" but clearly had an unexpected negative impact on network performance.  Rogers hasn't confirmed or denied anything.  They also have not publicly acknowledged the problem or promised to fix it... and they don't really need either to because this technically is not an outage and does not impact any of their other services.  I would love to be in the room when they discuss this issue with their vendors.

Here are the results of my ping tests from earlier this afternoon:

To my CMTS router:

3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604178ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.205/21.422/176.413/17.944 ms

To 8.8.8.8:

3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604122ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.468/19.362/171.595/13.333 ms

Not a problem at all for the average Internet user.  Ignite TV still works perfectly fine.  MUCH better that it was before. However, not great if you are a gamer that needs consistent network performance.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Marando the best thing you can do is determine if Bell's Fibre service is available, or soon to be, or look for DSL/VDLS service with Bell or one of the TPIAs.  The TPIAs also have numerous customers complaining as well.  The common denominator?  Those particular customers are using Rogers network to access the TPIA services.  The TPIA companies were supposed to tackle Rogers on this issue, but, interestingly, they've gone silent as well.  So, no one outside of Rogers or the TPIAs knows what Rogers has been up to for the last three months that is causing this problem.  

If you're looking for low latency, you're best bet outside of fibre is DSL or VDSL services.  You can run that as a secondary service without any impact on the cable service.  The tricky part is whether you might want to run a dual WAN router which can use both services, or keep the services separate so that you can game via DSL/VDSL.