cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

LimboMan
I plan to stick around

Time for me to move on.

Well after 25+ years with Rogers, Bell Fibe was installed in my neighbourhood a couple years back and I'm ready to make the jump if things don't get resolved soon. With the high rates we are paying for internet service (for what we get/don't get) these days, my Gigabit internet service is little better than my old dial-up when everything grinds to a halt.  I've resorted to tether to cell phone service whenever Rogers 'goes down'

In past interactions with customer service I was told everything was okay, just reboot my equipment (which those on this forum know that that's the first thing we'd do).  Subsequent calls I was told there was nothing that can be done, as there is a problem in my 'area'.  We hear all the marketing Rogers' investment in "infrastructure upgrades" resulting in higher costs.  It's been YEARS in my neighbourhood that we've experienced concerns. 

I was going to paste my logs and troubleshooting, but I think I'm done.  I'm tired of doing the leg work for Rogers and having to pay for the privilege.  I tried placing one last call to see if I could give Rogers a final chance.  After 30+minutes on hold, I decided my time was more valuable than spent on hold trying to resolve a concern that I'm told I don't have.  The switch to Bell will actually save me a lot of money on my monthly bills, but I've been reluctant to make that switch. 

25+ year loyalty really doesn't amount to much, when the best promotions are saved for new subscribers.

wulf0ut
I'm here a lot
It has nothing to do with the Call of duty release last night. I haven’t been able to play online properly for two weeks now. it’s unacceptable for how much we pay.

Trying to talk to an agent right now and it’s like pulling teeth....

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

It's important that Rogers knows it's not just tied to something like a Call of Duty release, because if they can find a reason to pass the buck, they'll do it...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

It's important that Rogers knows it's not just tied to something like a Call of Duty release, because if they can find a reason to pass the buck, they'll do it...

Yeah, I agree totally.  It's one thing for a TPIA provider to be impacted if they have under-provisioned at the POI.  For Rogers, this should be a non-issue.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless of course Rogers has carved off several hundred Gb/s from the core routers and dedicated that capacity for something else, like maybe 5G deployment?  "Look at how fast our 5G is!!!"  All speculation on my part of course....

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/rogers-starts-rollout-of-canadas-first-5g-network-and-joins-glob...

It doesn't make sense that the latency and packet loss problem has suddenly arrived out of the blue.  As IPTV deployment ramps up for example, I would think you would see a gradual decrease in performance if Rogers didn't expand its data capacity, or didn't preplan for the required capacity.  I don't believe it would cause a sudden drop.  I doubt that the installers are doing enough installs every day to cause what appears to be a sudden network performance drop.  Something else has been going on over the last two months that Rogers isn't revealing (take your pick), and whatever that is, it appears to be hitting the GTA with greater impact.  

Just an update after talking to 5 different agents. they refused to acknowledge anything I was telling them and just insisted on sending a tech. Was pointing stuff out from this forum and about ignite and they won’t acknowledge it. Gave me a 50 dollar credit and a tech for Saturday. I doubt it’s going to do anything. Let me know if there’s anything specific I can say to this tech coming to the parkdale area to get more attention on this and for them to try and take it more serious.

super_robot
I plan to stick around

You're wasting your time, the issue is on their infrastructure. Nothing a home technician is gonna do will magically fix your latency issues.

super_robot
I plan to stick around

I'm sure Rogers is aware of the issue (I hope). 

I wish they were more transparent and didn't waste customer's time with pointless reboots/tech visits knowing full well this isn't going to resolve anything.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

It doesn't make sense that the latency and packet loss problem has suddenly arrived out of the blue.  As IPTV deployment ramps up for example, I would think you would see a gradual decrease in performance if Rogers didn't expand its data capacity, or didn't preplan for the required capacity.  I don't believe it would cause a sudden drop.  I doubt that the installers are doing enough installs every day to cause what appears to be a sudden network performance drop.  Something else has been going on over the last two months that Rogers isn't revealing (take your pick), and whatever that is, it appears to be hitting the GTA with greater impact.

Yeah, this is a weird issue that has been impacting everybody who is on Rogers' infrastructure, that (my feeling as well) occurred out of the blue because somebody did something not realizing that something profoundly bad would happen.  (Will retest this evening to see if the problem in my corner of the world has been fixed.)

Yesterday, the TPIA providers potentially got hit twice: due to local issues at the CMTS and bandwidth constraints at the POI with the traffic spike from game downloads.

Just also agreeing that traffic spikes should not have brought any part of the Rogers infrastructure to its knees.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

Will retest this evening to see if the problem in my corner of the world has been fixed.

Nope.  My local node is having kittens again.

Raveneire
I plan to stick around
My thoughts exactly. When this happened in my area it happened overnight and in full force. From what others have been saying it seems to affect area by area and who knows how many others are affected that haven't thought to take a look here and report it.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

My average ping keeps getting lower, but the ping spikes are the same. I really hope the engineers understand what they're looking for here.

P0ison1vy
I'm here a lot
So I got a message today saying that after monitoring the noise in my connection for 24 h, they weren't able to find any issues with my internet.

Rather than fighting with them I decided to sign up for bell's Fibe 50 plan. My promotion with Rogers ends in April anyways, so in a way this was good timing. Hopefully bell is as stable as I've been lead to believe.

Zealotki11er
I plan to stick around
I thought I was the only one. I have had no issue for 3 years and starting Feb 6 I have been getting packet loss, late packet, ping spikes. I cant games, remote desktop.

m4te
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

@-G- 

I was wondering if either of you can help me understand my situation.

I've always had issues with Rogers in respect to gaming and I would really like to diagnose the issue because in addition to the recent packet loss that myself and several users are experiencing, for the past few years I've also had issues with what I'm assuming is lack of consistancy in latency. 

For this post, I'd like to focus on the inconsistant latency. First off, it's the most noticable when playing an FPS game called CSGO which is played on 128 tick servers located in several regions (NY, Chicago, Denver, Texas). There is a net graph that I can see while in-game and I do not notice any notable lag spikes. Instead, I notice that my ping to the server is consistantly higher than my buddy that has BELL internet and is just a few streets away from me, as well as my friend that also lives a few streets away from me but is also with ROGERS. 

Example: Ping to a Chicago server for my friends is 35ms +/- 5ms, but for me it's 59ms +/- 5ms (consistant). 

My understanding is that 20ms difference shouldn't make a difference in terms of game quality, but it makes my game very jittery and there is a noticable lag. First off, my ping shouldn't even be that much higher considering we live so close and are connected to the exact same server. Secondly, this occurance happens at random. In the past, there would be some nights where my ping was the same as my friends (both Bell and Rogers users), and the gameplay quality was great. Other nights however, and it didn't matter if it was during peek hours, or 3am in the morning, I would have that issue where my ping is higher than theres despite being connected to the same server, and my game was jittery and they would often ask if I was lagging as they would see my character jittering in movement, but once again no ping spikes, just a consistant higher than average ping.

Is there anyway that I can diagnose the issue here?  I understand that Rogers uses cable, and Bell uses VDSL, and that cable is affected by other users in the area, while VDSL although providing slower speeds is more consistant in terms of ping stability. So my assumption is that in my area, there are too many Rogers users so that's why my quality of internet is so poor while my friend who is using Rogers doesn't have too many customers in his, and my other friend with Bell just overall has a good experience consistantly due to Bell's infrastructure in regards to gaming.

Thanks for your time

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@m4te  I don't have any immediate recommendations at the moment.  I'm also hopeful that the jitter that you are currently seeing is only temporary and that you'll see more consistent path latency once the issues that we are discussing here finally get resolved.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

The good pings are smaller, but the ping spikes are getting longer. I just had 3 2000ms+ pings in a row, and then back to 8-12 ms. I get the feeling that the engineers are fixing the wrong thing.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@m4te here are some items to consider:

1.  Bell appears to route a good majority of its traffic thru Chicago for some reason.  End result, the Rogers and Bell routing are probably completely different. 

2.  Even though you and your friend are situated close together, you might be connected to a completely different neighbourhood node and CMTS.  The neighbourhood nodes don't show up in a trace.  If the modem is in Gateway mode with a direct connection, or, the modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, and with a direct connection to the router, the second hop in the trace is the CMTS.  If you and your friend were to compare a trace to the same point, have a look at the IP address in hop #2 to see if its the same address.  If so, you're both on the same CMTS.  I would expect the routing to be the same to the same endpoint.  If not, ok, then you're on a different CMTS, in which case the routing will be slightly different, but, I'd expect to see the two routes converge after one or two hops.  

3.  Probably the only staff who could tell you if you were both on the same neighbourhood node would be tech support or perhaps @RogersAndy or @RogersMoin or @RogersTony.  You would have to send one of them the MAC address of the two modems in order to track down the connected neighbourhood node and the connected port on the node.  Even if you were on the same node, you could be on different ports, which is highly probable if the neighbourhood node is nearby.  Each node port would support some number of connected modems (500, 1000, or 1500 ??) and have its own noise issues and cable issues to contend with.  All of those factors combined could result in different modem performance observed by yourself and your friend.  I think the biggest factor would be the total number of modems connected to each port.  If your node port had a significantly higher number of supported modems, then you would end up with less transmit time slots and higher latency.  This is down into the weeds level, but, knowing how many modems are connected to each port would provide some idea of why there might be a difference in latency.  Beyond that, differences in noise levels experienced by both modems could have an impact on the data rates.  If you were to compare both modem's signal levels, QAM levels and signal to noise , that might provide another part of the puzzle.  

When you compare your gaming performance to your friend on Bell, there are a couple of points that might work in his favour:

1.  VDSL can definitely give you lower latency, as see in the following chart:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32680851-

2.  Bell's routing to the servers in question might just be in his favour.

The bigger question, I think, when you're trying to compare numbers and understand the differences, is the routing and peering issue.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again (hello moderators), the gaming community here in the forum could really make use of an Ask the Expert session with someone who is knowledgeable in Rogers routing beyond the borders, and knowledgeable with Rogers peering partners.  The additional aspect of this is the throughput at the exchanges that Rogers is connected to.  For example, for Torix, the Toronto Internet Exchange, the exchange web site indicates that Rogers has a 40 Gb/s link, while Teksavvy has a 100 Gb/s link.  If you look at the following chart, you can see the throughput rates at Torix.  Keep in mind that it doesn't provide the whole story of total ISP peering throughput rates.  This is just for Torix connected companies, at Torix:

https://www.torix.ca/peers/

Here's the data from the peering database.  Note that this is the pubic data, so there is more that can't be seen"

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/307

So, these are a couple of examples, and maybe Rogers exchange links elsewhere provide enough throughput, or maybe not.  At the end of the day, the customers don't care, unless their throttled by a lack of throughput due to the choices that Rogers has made in its routing and peering and throughput data rates.  This appears to be a closely guarded secret squirrel issue, and as a result, its a total black hole for the gamers who use Rogers.  Fwiw, TPIAs appear to be willing to discuss issues like this, or at the very least attempt to sort out issues due to routing, larger incumbents appear to do nothing.  That's from observations of posts from users with various ISPs expressing frustrations with their routing.  

Hope this helps.

Zealotki11er
I plan to stick around

This is just brutal. Roger needs to get their act together. Capture.PNGIMG_20200307_183552.jpg

Hello @LimboMan,

I definitely get your frustration as everyone has their breaking point. In all honesty, we'd be pretty devastated to lose your valued business after 25+ years!! 😟

If at all possible, we'd love for you to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can do a deeper dive into your issue. We can run some tests at our end but may also need to collect some data from you as well. After the necessary tests are run we'll be able to determine if this is an isolated issue or if it's related to the latency issues impacting some of our users who have posted here.

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kindest of regards,

RogersLaura

jtm437
I've been here awhile

@RogersYasmine this is just ridiculous... This is clearly not an isolated issue for anyone here as we've all been through this spiel with multiple Roger's reps and their testing has only proven that the issue lies with Roger's infrastructure and is not isolated to individual users. Also, "related to the latency issues impacting some of our users who have posted here" is an insane response. "Some" is clearly thousands of users. Obviously only a small percentage of users experiencing this issue will comment on this thread so fact that we are at almost 500 posts means that this is a very wide spread issue.

Believe me, if Rogers didn't have a monopoly on my area, I'd have switched to another ISP within the first week of having this issue. It's been 3 weeks now and the problem has only gotten worse. Working from home is essential to my line of work (and is only becoming more essential as COVID-19 is forcing companies to make employee work from home) and with these ping spikes it is making it very hard. Streaming and calling is a nightmare with all of the interruptions.

How this hasn't blown up on social media is beyond me but it has to be a ticking time bomb at this point. This has to be the worst customer service I've ever dealt with as their is zero transparency into what is actually happening here.