Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunnnnyc
I've Been Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

My job revolves around a constant connection, as I’m sure it does for others. Please Rogers, fix this issue and at the very least advise your reps to identify the issue. Yes I know I use a third party router. All power users do.
Mikec_81
I'm Here A Lot

I have been experiencing the very same issues as these users since near the end of January.  Intermittent packet loss or high latency.  It affects everything from web browsing to gaming.  I am literally on the verge of losing my Mythic raid spot in World of Warcraft because I cannot be counted on to have a stable internet connection.

I had a level 2 tech come out on Saturday and he told me everything was fine.  Was doing a Mythic+ dungeon tonight and nearly failed to time it because I had a period of around 5 minutes where I could not play the game with ping spiking up to 1000ms.

Gonna put in yet another call to Rogers tomorrow morning but I am fast running out of patience.  I am sick and tired of live chats and phone ins where people tell me to reset my modem or to swap it out yet again.  You guys are on the verge of losing a 10-year customer.

antennabeams
I've Been Here Awhile

Exact same issue here, started over a week ago. Came across this thread from Google.

It's impossible to play games online, lag spikes of 2k-3k every minute or two, along with some sporadic packet loss Captured it with a log (timestamped ping over 3 minutes to www.rogers.com) and shows the spikes with minor packet loss. 

Support over social media told me yesterday "[I've]  ran a thorough test on your area and it is fine. If you continue to experience the ping spikes you can try to exchange your modem at a Rogers retail store".  

My modem is a CODA4582U (on gigabit).  It's hard to think the modem is the issue given the existence of this thread. Did everyone's modems suddenly die? Doubtful.  

Still, just to go through with the troubleshooting, I exchanged the modem this morning and guess what, the issue still PERSISTS! It doesn't matter what Ethernet port direct connect to or what device I use, I can replicate the issue.

So, to me, its pretty clear there's a network issue somewhere, whether its the connection into my home or the connection in the neighborhood or further upstream, the point is that it's a Rogers issue, not a personal hardware issue. 

I'm quite annoyed.

Swifty00
I Plan to Stick Around

I've given up - it has been 3 weeks.  The case has been closed twice without anything being done.  It takes forever to get anyone at Rogers, and they don't do anything even if you do get them.

They are completely incompetent.

All I am doing now is lobbying Bell to get Fiber in our area.  All I can suggest is that if you get this problem, ditch Rogers and move to Bell.  Don't have any hope that they will make a serious attempt at fixing it.  And they are being completely stupid about it.  This is going to get worse and worse as traffic increases.  Sticking their heads in the sand and sweeping it under the carpet isn't going to work forever.

BigJay1
I'm Here A Lot

Same issue here in Brampton..........Bovaird/Torbram area....

I have had the Gigabit service now for many months, has been great.   I am a tech by trade, have tried all the usual methods and investigated all the usual suspects.   My speeds are bouncing like a yoyo...One test I am getting 850, next I am getting 10 down......

It has been perfect for months, a steady 950+ direct connection....

Frustrating.....

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BigJay1 do you happen to have the white Hitron COCA-4582 modem?  If so log into your modem and check the Software (firmware) version on the STATUS page to see if its been updated to V 7.1.1.30. If so, and your downstream rates on a speedtest don't go beyond 900 Mb/s or if the speedtest results are all over the map:

1. restart/reboot the modem if you haven't done that already. Pull the power, wait 15 seconds and plug it back in. Run a few speedtests to see whats up.

2. if the modem is in Bridge mode, flip it to Gateway mode and back to Bridge mode. Run a few speedtests to see whats up.

3. if neither of those work, nuke the modem and run factory reset. That should solve the problem.  Run a few speedtests to see whats up.

Use the www.speedtest.net Rogers servers at Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal to check the data rates, whichever is closer.  Looks like WTC Communications in Kingston must have upgraded their server as its running 900+ Mb/s these days, so also worth trying. Try the Rogers speedtest as well, although its only a gigabit server:

»www.rogers.com/customer/ ··· peedtest

CanuckisH
I've Been Around

I have the same issues at Lakeshore and Browns line, every minute or so a brutal high lag spike that cuts out internet, then back to a smooth constant ping.

Talked to a colleague at work in Richmond hill he has the same issue, Rogers so far says they see no issues, but this is to much to believe it is not a real issue on their infrastructure end.

BigJay1
I'm Here A Lot

Hello Datalink....

This is what my modem info says...

Hardware Version1A
Software Version2.0.10.36T6

Your number looks greatly different...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

7.1.1.xx will be the next version released for that modem, whenever the engineering staff solve all of the problems with that version.  

shank1
I've Been Around

This problem "went away" for me about 2 hours ago.

Since the end of last week (kids say Thursday,  I noticed it Friday) we were having a loss of sync with an upstream channel.  This is the only relevant entry in the logs when that happened:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Prior to this event, my service was generally hassle-free, there's only been 1 day over the past year that I recall it being unusable or intolerable. During this latest event I never fully lost sync and TCP sessions managed to stay active through the loss and in addition to that my US/DS power levels were where they should be.

Download tests hit the usual 900+Mbit until the desynch occurs, at which point it stalled/slowed (down to 10Mbit at times) but did eventually continue and climb back up within 30 seconds until it happened again, which has been within minutes of each occurrence over the past few days.  I constantly had that error message refreshing its timestamp every minute at the bottom of my event log; it was reoccurring over and over and over all day long.

Upload tests struggled to maintain 5-10Mbit where usually it's an effortless 32, similar to the downloads they did eventually continue and complete.

Some ICMP/UDP traffic gets lost, TCP appears to weather the storm.  DNS wasn't affected as much as some other stateless protocols I use.

After posting this (with my CMTS-MAC unmasked) to a similar reddit post on this topic the issue seems to have been resolved about 5 hours later.  My modem has been up and connected for 24 hours (since I last tried to reboot) and no new configs were downloaded, so whatever fixed this for me was upstream and had nothing to do with my modem or wiring.