Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swifty00
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

I have the same thing, and I know of many other Rogers customers that have it.

It is a combination of a woefully inadequate upload capacity nationally, oversold infrastructure, poorly managed infrastructure, and a lack of investment over the last 10 years replacing/upgrading outdated and overloaded network nodes.

The problem is that with the way internet load balancing works, once a packet gets slightly slowed, it will be dropped in priority all along the route.  It really is a national scandal.  Pretty much fraud.  They can't possibly supply everyone with what they are paying for, and are now just playing a shell game, hoping no one notices.

Jitter is pretty much always a capacity/throughput problem.

Singh673
I'm Here A Lot

So I did what you asked and here are my results:

Ping test on alternative server (64.71.255.198) shows its good although i didnt run it too long but its show enough to say that server is going good. But I did another test on the last server (64.71.255.204) as of Saturday 22 and still same problem

I did a traceroute of Overwatch US West server which isn't ideal but Call of Duty Modern Warfare crashes when opening Wireshark so it will do I guess unless someone in the forum has a ideal IP I can traceroute to.

Ping test on 64.71.255.204Ping test on 64.71.255.204

Overwatch US WestOverwatch US WestPing test on alternative Rogers DNSPing test on alternative Rogers DNS

Singh673
I'm Here A Lot

I also did a traceroute to both the Rogers DNS server also if it helps

powershell_Hi9wWDJ25E.jpg

Zyselr_
I'm Here A Lot

I used pingplotter against Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 for 2 hours. I can hardly go 5 minutes without a massive spike in latency. It's noticeable during normal web browsing or streaming content as well as gaming.

I can't embed images so here's a link showing my pingplotter results: https://i.imgur.com/HTDMfZt.png 

NancyN
I'm Here A Lot

Since this last Tuesday (Feb. 18th, 2020) my internet has been having seemingly random lag spikes cause me to lag out and freeze in any game I play. I've been doing ping tests to Google and Twitch.tv (More reliable and less worried about packets being rejected) and playing games to see if the spikes are connected and they are.

I have tried physically rebooting the modem (turning it off and on again), going into the modem settings and rebooting there, factory resetting the modem, /release and /renew, netsh interface ip delete arpcache, changed dns servers to cloudflare 8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4, tried disabling ipv6, did a network reset on my PC. The problems I have experienced on my PC that's connected via Ethernet cable is also happening to the rest of the devices in the house, I've done testing on my brother's PC which has it's own different Ethernet cable, and using a near brand new Ethernet cable on my mother's laptop with all the exact same issues popping up as well.

I called Rogers on Friday night (Feb. 21st) and they sent in a guy today (Sat. Feb. 22nd). He replaced a few of the wires in the house, the fittings, the splitters used for the internet/T.V., and gave us a new modem. I went to do a speedtest by Ookla and saw a download speed increase and was happy. I went a play a game only to experience the exact same lag issues as before. So I went back to pinging twitch.tv again and indeed the issues are still here.

First pings to Google.

Pings to Twitch.tv before rogers came in.

Pings to Twitch.tv after rogers guy left.

https://i.imgur.com/lMKZlPT.png - winMTR traceroute. - NOTE: The average is fine but the moment I ran a speedtest the ping shot right up.

timfolkins
I Plan to Stick Around

How are we supposed to get attention to this?

Rogers Ombudsman?

Nothing seems to be getting addressed here.

Stemnin
I've Been Around

I'm in Moncton on Gigabit (switched in december) was smooth until the end of January. Been acting up the last 2-3 weeks and has gotten worse. Done 2 chats online, called this morning, three departments, went to store and exchanged the CODA-4582 for another one today. And I'm still getting massive latency spikes while gaming. Any game.

Did the speed test on dslreports and got an F for bufferbloat (possibly the worst I've seen, it's usually C or D lately). Quality A+ though, certainly doesn't feel like it.

Playing on PC mainly, wired and wireless does the same.

Frammy-
I've Been Around

I live in Barrie and have the exact same issue since last Monday. I’m in CODA modem #3 this week. We had 1.5 year of perfect internet. No lag no dropped connection. Out of nowhere ps4 games are unplayable. Last Monday the modem was outputting less then 100 download and 5 upload. I pay for 500 download and 50 upload I think it is. Second tech changed modem on Wednesday. Ran his speed test said all was good. I get home from work fire up black ops 4, nothing but lag. I ping google and am getting 98% packet loss. Call Rogers and they admit pinging the modem is taking much longer then it should. New tech comes out today I show him the lag and packet loss. He switches the modem again. Now I have zero packet loss. Getting 350-400 download and 20-25 upload. Try to game to and again serious lag unplayable. So disappointing we had 18 months of perfect internet now it sucks. Gaming and streaming is our entertainment at home, even streaming its buffering. We have a week of credit so far but that does nothing. I want it to work like it’s suppose to. I’m lost on what to do next.
BoldAdanac
I Plan to Stick Around

OK so clearly this issue has started at all around the same time for us all around the GTA...... I don't understand how after 130 posts to this forum topic  -- and i can't even image the amount of calls and chats between us all they still have yet to even acknowledge there is a issue. I am sure anyone here like me who is a gamer has very thin patience by now. I do not have the option to switch to another ISP as rogers has dominated this area and bell won't touch it...... I as many others here like to get home from work and play a few rounds of our favorite games and rogers has literally ripped that away, and is so far - for me at least  offering a $35  credit for the issue .(LOL) I have had to re-arrange my schedule now 4 times for a technician twice causing lost $$ as I am a contractor myself. Not to mention the completely unusable internet for now 2+ weeks and the complete lack of transparency through their entire support network. I have the maintenance dept coming on Monday I am told (2nd time for the maintenance team) to come "look" at the node feeding my properly, but unless my node is also feeding the rest of GTA I think the issue may be deeper. I literally feel imprisoned by this ping, I wake up in the morning with a small glimmer of hope that rogers may have reset whatever is broken - and have now made it a routine to check through ping plotter to see if there were any changes through the night even minuscule just to have my hopes and dreams crushed by one of the largest richest company's in canada. This issue has no gone as far to cause a fight between me and my upstairs neighbor as he is accusing me of using too much bandwidth. It shows that we just expect that the company we pours thousands of dollars into to actually stand by their promises but anyone who knows how bandwidth works and how rogers in most areas still works they cannot promise GB bandwidth to anyone that is not fiber to the house as the cable system currently in place was never designed for that type of traffic, yes rogers is planning on completely upgrading there infrastructure to support fiber to the house but this wont be a quick task and its sad they are now years behind bell and still promising they can compete with the stability of their network. Rogers has convinced us they are the fastest network in Canada and well they may be true - I can get 950 MBPS on Ookla using FibreStream servers which is impressive if all the information sent actually reached its target in a realistic time. Anyways today's rant is over - if you read this entire thing that props to you 🙂 

After_Fixes.jpg

youutube88
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an open ticket since Feb 14th...
So far what I've received is about 2-3 auto-SMS messages stating:

"There's been a delay in fixing the Rogers internet service problem you told us about, but our technical teams are working on it. We're sorry its taking so long. we will provide an update as soon as we can"

So. What I figured was going to be the routine send the guy to the house and change the modem gig, I guess they're bypassing that for me and they're trying to fix their entire network for me. Thanks, Rog! ❤️