cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

dooncomputer1
I plan to stick around
Couldn’t agree more.
“That monitoring is nothing but an appeasement measure. “

ikoflexer
I've been here awhile

We moved into a new unit and got Rogers Ignite 500, new modem/hub CGM4140COM sw version Prod_18.3_d31 & Prod_18.3. From the beginning of the service, the entire internet connection for all devices stops repeatedly. Several times per hour. It affect my work, as I drop out of meetings, my remote shell gets disconnected, terrible. Three technicians came already, checked the signal, it's perfect. 

I want to specify that it's not the wifi that drops, but the connection to the outside world. When the connection gets interrupted the white light on the modem does not change at all, stays solid white. The first two technicians replaced the signal attenuator (the signal Power level is perfect, near 0 dBmV, and the SNR about 40 dB) and assured me that going forward there would be zero problems. They have not gone out the door 10 minutes and yes, the interruptions happened again. 

So I kept a log of a continuously pinging the Rogers gateway, which is the very next hop going upstream. Here's what it looks like:

ping gatewayping gateway

When it all works the ping is around 20ms. Then no ping for a while. Some interruptions are as long as 40 seconds, while some are shorter like 10s. Immediately after the interruption ping times are long and slowly go back to the usual 20s or so.

I showed this to the third technician and he was trying to offer various explanations, that they always do some maintenance, and that maybe there is a downtime somewhere, etc. So I said, several times per hour, 24/7? He agreed that the problem is upstream from me, but it's not clear what he'll do. 

At this point I'd be happy with a 5Mbps connection that was stable, so I could do my work. Paying for a 500Mbps that's completely unreliable is not acceptable. If Rogers doesn't fix this soon off I go to Bell fiber, that's for sure.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

I have went through ticket after ticket and to this day, I am still having these ping spikes/packet loss happening minimum twice a day and randomly.

My family in the household is having arguments because they are also frustrated at how terrible the Rogers internet service has been.

Support staff has been little to no help to resolving my issues and sometimes they just annoy me by trying to blame the issue on my 'home router'. I've had multiple tech visits and still cannot get to the bottom of it. 

I wish more people that are experiencing the issue actually post on this forum, or open tickets with Rogers so it can be labelled as widespread....

arecad
I plan to stick around

Same issue. My internet drops out randomly for 30 - 240 seconds at a time. Modem shows connection is good. I cannot get on the Internet for a bit then eventually it comes back. 

This has been going on for a couple of months (was fine before and never experienced this problem).

Called support and they sent a technician that replaced connectors and told me that was fixed. He wasn't out the door longer than 5 minutes and it happened again. Called support back and they dismissed the issue and said my router was the problem. Even after telling them my friend, who lives a block away, experiences the outages at the EXACT same time as me. My router eh?

Did some research online and found on forums such as Reddit and now this one that this is a problem many are experiencing. Was hoping that Rogers would look into what they changed software or hardware wise in the last few months and take a good look at that. This problem is 100% a Rogers problem and it needs to be fixed asap seeing as many are working from home and depend on a stable connection now more than ever.

doctor80
I plan to stick around
It has been 48 hours since I put my modem into gateway mode, and router into AP mode.
Wifi is turned off on modem, and is turned on on router.
So far I can see definitely much better performance. For now the packet loss seem to be more isolated to 1-2 packets at the worst. I cannot longer observe the 10 seconds packet loss, that caused Zoom calls to be dropped. It's not perfect but BETTER now. Still it's too early to conclude.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
will still happen.. just wait 😉 I've already tried that.

I am wondering if it is the modem reboot that allow it to run possibly longer before the issue comes..

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

The symptoms have taken on a new dimension... service doesn't come back online by itself all the time anymore. The last two or three outages, I've had to reboot the CODA as well to get it going again. 

I'm up to 25 disconnects in December now. 

No update on my ticket.

yever
I plan to stick around
I rebooted this morning, and got a drop 1 hour later. so that doesn't help in my case.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

I'll keep monitoring to see if the improvement was coincidental or not. It's also possible that IF this is node congestion, naturally by mid-end December people can be less working so the node is less overloaded..
Although besides internet I don't know what is there left to do for people on vacation?

Time will tell.

Still will be helpful to see if anyone got their node utilization checked.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
@doctor80, I've been having more drops this month (and this week) than before.

zed
I plan to stick around

But what is load that causes this. 

Today only 2 people on video calls no TVs on and my session was regularly stalling. Did not lose the connection (which is a great improvement, sorry to say) but seconds at a time were lost. 

Is it that Rogers just does not have the infrastructure to carry the normal needs of the customers?

zed
I plan to stick around
Rogers cannot blame the customer's equipment. Slam them back if they try. Go to Contact Us and find the Share a Concern link. Write your complaint there. I got a call within hours and they have escalated to HEAD OFFICE, wherever that is.
Also tell them you will not pay for the internet service.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

@zed - what Rogers trying to imply is that (maybe) since there are many people working from home, and in particular among IT professionals, there are many Zoom sessions at the same time across the node, introducing potential load. In normal case we all would be in office..
Again I'm skeptical that this is what is causing the util.

Therefore it'll be helpful if more people will check their node. 

I've been experiencing these seemingly random drop out issues as well. The internet will cut out from anywhere of 1 minute to 10 minutes sometimes, getting worse and worse these past few weeks. This has been a problem for MONTHS now and isn't an issue that I am facing alone. 

About a 1-2 minute walk from my house lives a coworker of mine. He has the EXACT same issue happening at the EXACT same time. The way we disconnect is exactly the same. The time we're out is exactly the same. Any game that we're playing will boot us out, if we're watching a stream we lose connection to the stream. Interestingly enough though, if we're in a Discord call with out friends and such we can still hear them perfectly fine, though they will be unable to hear us. 

We both have the standard Hitron CODA 4582 modem, etc etc etc. I have very very serious doubts that this has anything to do with anything on our end at all. 

This has been a really longstanding issue and after dealing with more or less constant internet issues for this entire year now I'm very likely going to search for another option for my ISP, this is ridiculous at this point.

dooncomputer1
I plan to stick around

Welcome to Rogers unhappy customer club. Same here, I have been with Rogers for few years and dealing with customer/technical support is not help. They are god with lip service tough not necessarily take responsibility to solve the issue. For past few weeks having issue and number of call made to tech support and as said lip service no action so far. Scheduled a visit by tech person but based on past experience(s) not much hope. Maybe it is time to another provider not to say it will be any better but at least chance someone will question why customer left. 

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
It's pretty clear that everyone posting in this thread has the same issue: daily disconnections, short in duration, most notably characterized by sent packets grinding to a halt while some are still received. We are all over the province and maybe even all over the country. This is not an "in the home" issue.

The only idea I have at the moment is making one big list of everyone here affected by the issue and sending it to Head Office or the Ombudsman.

alfajina
I plan to stick around

York region (Aurora).

Same issue as everyone else, happening at least twice a day, lasting about 5 minutes. I can hear others in discord but they cannot hear me.

This has been going on for about 3 or 4 weeks now.

They did the "monitoring" on my connection, to tell me they see nothing wrong.

I asked about node congestion in my area, to which they said there was none.

Hopefully switching providers soon, this is unacceptable.

doctor80
I plan to stick around
@alfajina - I'm from Aurora too.
So your node is not congested and you still have the same issue with sporadic packet loss of 5 minutes at time? And then it works well?
Do you have CODA modem?

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

No updates on my ticket, and a new single day drop record of ten separate disconnects (and counting). My neighbour switched to Fibe and it's been smooth sailing for the last few months. I think I'm done. 

doctor80
I plan to stick around

4 days with being

Modem - Gateway ON , WIFI - OFF

Router - AP mode with WIFI ON.

Performance is still much better comparing to what I had before.

I can see while pingplotter still shows packet drops here and there, but it's not like before. I haven't got yet any significant packets loss case where Zoom would drop calls. Again too early to conclude.

Still monitoring.

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

@doctor80 I agree that the drops appear to have reduced significantly with CODA in gateway mode. Or it could just be because of the vacation time. I haven't heard back anything on my ticket yet, except an apology sms, for the long delay, that I receive almost everyday.