cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

So I have done everything I can.. once again I left my cable mode in gateway mode for few days, and I still get these drops.

My wife is getting really frustrated now that our Internet is so unstable. I had tech come out twice , and didn't really find anything wrong. The second visit the tech says the neighborhood is showing red for signal noise, so they have passed it over to maintenance crew to take a look. So far it has not solved these intermittent packet losses or aka loss of uplink sending of packets.

This is very surely that it is happening to a lot more people than just the handful. Many Rogers customers are starting to visit these community forums and finding that they are experiencing the exact same issue.

When is Rogers going to start a master ticket to start really looking at the root cause of this issue? Node congestion I really don't believe this is accurate. If it was accurate, I would not be experiencing these intermittent packet losses at 5:30 am or 7:00am in the morning. It is not node congestion. Someone needs to look to really see if it is related to the implementing OFDM/OFDMA to Operate state.

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

Definitely looks like Rogers hasn't been able to get a handle on this issue and it appears quite widespread. I just feel so frustrated when I hear tech say the the issue must be in my house because all Rogers' tests have returned normal results. Then I have to remind them that the issue is "intermittent", so the tests that Rogers may have run while my connection was stable, may be useless. What is worse is that reaching techs on chat is no longer quick enough, I have had to wait for up to 45 mins to get in touch with someone just to get transferred to someone else after another 15 mins wait.

Last evening I received a replacement for my existing CODA modem from Rogers that was damaged. I think someone didn't bother to check it before shipping and they ended up shipping me a damaged modem. It's cable port is missing and most likely it fell inside the modem box (I can hear it rattle when I shake the modem). It couldn't have been damaged in transit because the plastic lamination that the modem was enclosed in is intact. I am not very hopeful that modem replacement will fix anything. I think all these modems are refurbished and there is no guarantee that they will work better. I told tech on chat to put a note in my file to sort this mess by the 25th or else I am going to switch to Bell Fibe. I realize I'll end up paying a bit extra over what I am paying currently, but I won't have to deal with this on a daily basis.

@CommunityHelps 

Wanted to add my frustrations to this giant pile. Been dealing with packet loss and latency spikes at random times, multiple times a day, for months now. Multiple calls to Rogers and multiple tech visits have resulted in no change. I have replaced virtually all of my networking equipment in the home to no avail. 

MTR shows massive packet loss throughout the chain whenever I have an episode. Restarting the modem does nothing. Rogers' monitoring shows no fault from their end. I am at a total loss and am on the verge of switching providers. 

jonnay
I've been here awhile

I wanted to update my experience here in case it helps anyone else.

I was experiencing intermittent outages as well,  not very often, and usually relatively short (5-10 seconds) however this was long enough to kick my wife out of Google Classroom, and cause issues with my on Microsoft Teams though with me on Teams I could still hear people. On the other end of my meetings it would appear as though I was disconnecting, but from my end I couldnt initially tell there was a problem. Turns out this was the biggest clue for the Rogers maintenance team.

Now, take these next notes with a grain of salt. I am no Rogers employee, or expert in the technology they use. This is nothing more than what I overheard from a call with the technician that came to my house and someone from the Rogers maintenance team. 

Supposedly, relatively recently an extra upload channel was added to handle all of the traffic from everyone being at home. This channel was added to the "noisiest" part of the spectrum that Rogers has. There was no issue with my equipment, cable from the road to the house, etc. It WAS a Rogers network issue, and they supposedly know about it.

Over the weekend (I was told it happened Monday, but logs on the router say it was changed Saturday) it looks like something was disabled. The technician called me and indicated that this was the extra upload channel.

This is the before:

OFDM/OFDMA Overview

Channel IndexStatelin Digital AttDigital AttBW (sc's*fft)Report PowerReport Power1_6FFT Size
0OPERATE0.197511.17859.600044.781537.00002K
1DISABLED0.00000.00000.00000.00000.00002K

This is after:

OFDM/OFDMA Overview

Channel IndexStatelin Digital AttDigital AttBW (sc's*fft)Report PowerReport Power1_6FFT Size
0DISABLED0.00000.00000.00000.00000.00002K
1DISABLED0.00000.00000.00000.00000.00002K

What I can confirm is that  so far this week my wife and I have experienced no outages. This was a daily occurrence, usually a few times per day.

If your problem is the same, I would recommend escalating to the supervisor of your area, have them call the Rogers maintenance group for your area, and request that this channel be disabled.  As of now I have noticed zero negative impact with that turned off.

Hope this helps...

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

@jonnay  Looks like Rogers disabled OFDM in your area. I am not sure if this is something that can be done selectively for few a modems.  

doctor80
I plan to stick around

I've switched my modem to gateway mode, and Asus router to AP mode. So far it's been about 30 hours, and I haven't seen a single drop.
I'm still skeptic that this will help, because it doesnt make sense. But who knows.
@vikas-arora  I understand that for you , this setup didn't last more than 4 days?

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

@doctor80 yes, the setup worked fine for 4 days followed by drops in the afternoon yesterday. There was a brief period of drops around 7:00 am as well, though it lasted for under a minute.

>Last evening I received a replacement for my existing CODA modem from Rogers that was damaged. 

We had the same issue.  Box was undamaged and modem was well packed, however it arrived broken and dirty.

We ended up going to a store to exchange so we could verify condition before accepting it.

The new modem had no effect on regular drop-outs.

doctor80
I plan to stick around
@vikas-arora - Could it be just a separate disconnection as a coincidence?
If you can clearly see performance improvement with this new setup, it might be worth to leave it as is. Even though the whole functionality of the router is useless at this point.
I'm monitoring my setup. Let's see how long it will last, to make your setup idea stronger or vice versa

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

@doctor80  @vikas-arora I wish you guys all the best of luck and please report back!

Unfortunately I've been running a similar setup in gateway mode with wifi disabled and it's still dropping (using standalone APs for Wifi, similar to what you're doing with your routers).

Just wanted to add my experience as well. Got a replacement modem from Rogers and also replaced my mesh network to rule out any hardware issues on my end. Still get network drops everyday for a few minutes. Very frustrating .

GuyWiththeHat
I plan to stick around

Update to this.  Location:  Newmarket.

This is distilled information from ping logs to first hop from modem (99.254.22.1).  Pings are done every second.  Modem is in gateway mode.

December 14.  Outage between 11:26:47 and 11:28:00, 11:32:47 and 11:32:52, 11:33:20 and 11:33:35, and finally 21:22:41 and 21:26:21

December 15.  Horrible day.  Outage between 09:24:49 and 9:34:45.  Bad signs when there is a Rogers vehicle on your street!.  UDP issue (You can hear MS-Team meetings - but they can't hear you) repeating between 11:13:12 and 11:13:22, 11:13:52 and 11:14:02, 11:14:17 and 11:14:47, and finally between 11:18:34 and 11:18:59.  Somewhat frustrating when on a MS-Teams meeting and you keep cutting out when you are talking.  However everyone on the call now has an 'interesting opinion' of the stability of Rogers Internet!

Ticket opened regarding this instance and they said there is a known outage in the area.  I expect that was the 10 minute outage starting at 09:24.

December 16.  Good day.  No instances of this occurring.

Frustrated Customer

doctor80
I plan to stick around

@all

Ok, let's summarize what we have here.

1. We have pretty similar outage patterns of short discos bursts of 4-7 minutes at least twice per day. Pings going up to 3000 ms and more.

2. Therefore we can theoretically say that this is most likely caused by the same exact root cause.

3. As many others we have seen multiple techs coming with no pinpointing root cause. So signal, SNR is pretty much exhausted theory that didn't stand

4. Root cause that was provided to me by moderator of this forum, was - NODE CONGESTION

Now, for all of you that have the exact same issue of internet drops for 5 minutes at the time, I'd recommend to call Rogers and ASK to check the utilization on your node.

Now if you all get the same answer that your node util is spiking to it's max, then it'd make the theory stronger.

But if you get answer that the node is not congested , then the node congestion is not the root cause.

Node congestion is a side issue.

I have no other way to check. So we need more reference to compare each other nodes.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

All who experiences the same exact disconnection pattern:

Can you please contact Rogers and ask them to check your NODE CONGESTION.

This way it'd prove the theory that the issue is either:

1. Caused by node congestion, and only node split will help

OR

2. It has nothing to do with NODE CONGESTION and it's just a side issue

It's important so we can all understand. If it's not congestion, than it's not going to be solved by segmentation, and we'll just waste our time.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

I've been told this by the @CommunityHelps  people:

"Your area is currently being monitored for intermittency but we have not officially recognized this area to be congested."

This investigation was done through a formal ticket with their network engineering team in the form of CTxxxxxxx.

All this being said, I've scoured this thread and the issue I'm seeing is identical to that of @ab45 @doctor80 and others. Specifically ab45's post #283. Way too similar to be a different issue.

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

I was also told on Rogers chat that there is a new system in place using which network people can monitor (with enhanced capabilities) subscriber's connection for a period of 5 days. I was told that this system looks quite promising and it has helped solve many intermittent issues like most of us are facing. This monitoring was started on my line on the 14th of Dec. I hope they are able to catch what's causing these drops. If not, then I am going to look for alternatives because I don't want to have to deal with these disconnects in Jan after vacations are over. 

I am 100% sure that this is not a problem with our routers/mesh systems. I upgraded my 4 year old router recently and I ended up trying ASUS (RT-AX88U), Netgear Nighthawk RAX200, TP-Link AX11000 and Netgear Orbi AC3000 (ended up settling with this) and these intermittent disconnects happened with all of them. I have a Linux machine that is directly connected to Rogers modem and all that it does is to keep checking for ping drops. This completely rules out my Wi-FI or router causing drops.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

The only way for us to push, is to prove if it's node congestion or not.

If it's , then we will be dependent on Rogers nodes split which will take months.

But what I'm afraid is that Rogers just made assumption on individual use case and it won't solve anything.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

@vikas-arora Yeah I have a dedicated Windows 10 machine connected to the modem/router doing the same thing that you're doing. 

My last call into Rogers they said that maybe I had too many devices on my network and that my Unifi APs were giving out conflicting LAN IP addresses. I tried to explain that my APs are not routers and don't run DHCP servers on them but I kinda just gave up.

If you can, try disabling Wifi and unplugging everything except your Linux server whenever possible. If you can replicate then you know for sure. Of course this kind of testing is easier said than done if you're living with anyone else 🙂

I'm going to try to upgrade to the XB6 modem. If that fails then I'll go TekSaavy.

vikas-arora
I plan to stick around

@MisterPinst thankfully I haven't heard that one yet 🙂 If they want us to remove every device from their modem and let it run for monitoring then I'd give up the connection right away.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

Oh trust me they will if they haven't yet. And I'm happy to comply if I can avoid having another ridiculous conversation about why their router can't handle multiple (*gasp*) unmanaged switches with standalone APs.

zed
I plan to stick around

That monitoring is nothing but an appeasement measure.  They have done it at least 3 times and each time they concluded nothing was wrong. 

And still I get drops regularly. Today I ordered a new modem. I suspect that those devices are poorly constructed and cannot handle a little "noise".  Funny if they are made by Huawei!?!?

Now the flip side of the monitoring: How much does Rogers know about your viewing and surfing patterns; times  on line; whether you should be working not gaming????

Who do they share the data with?????