Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

@herrshaun wrote:

The cutoff is something like 4 seconds, which means you had ping spikes higher than that. 

No, that's not true.  Also, in that particular test run, the all of the previous and subsequent pings were < 20ms, so those packets simply got dropped somewhere.  It happens.  I'm not a gamer and I'm not using the service for tele-robotic surgery, so I'm not going to freak out over a few lost packets.

Another test run just finished:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604226ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.628/12.754/76.179/3.829 ms

Good enough for me.

herrshaun
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- Well that's all well and good, but the majority of people who are "freaking out over a few lost packets" are gamers, who are paying quite a bit of money for consistent internet that's not happening.

Again, a couple of decent ping tests are not indicative of anything. I wish more people at Rogers, especially the people who have the power to fix this, understood that.

gamei56
I've Been Here Awhile

It's not just gaming, anyone who uses any sort of streaming or live connection such as video calls, any sort of voice comm over WiFi, VNC, SSH, RDP are immensely impacted by packet loss. I've even had problems with buffered streaming applications like YouTube and Spotify lately. 

My connection tonight has been good surprisingly, but the damage is already done for me, it doesn't seem to me that this will be reliably resolved in a known amount of time. I've scheduled an installation for Bell FTTH. I'm hoping this will resolve the issues, but Datalink was also mentioning that Bell was having some issues on the East Coast?

Hopefully this gets fixed for all of us soon one way or another

JJSG
I'm Here A Lot

I spoke to a tech today and they gave me the following response: "there has been numerous reports of this happening in different areas. I am not seeing any extreme results right now in any test I'm running but I know it is intermittent. We will need to escalate a trouble ticket to our engineering team to investigate this further on our end as we are collecting the examples."  and that "the issue is widespread between Ontario and even out to Newfoundland but it's sporadic and not effecting everyone in any specific area or neighbourhood." As they mentioned the problem is sporadic, this might be why G and others I've spoken too aren't seeing the same issues. 

This is the first tech I spoke to that confirmed that an issue exists, so Rogers may be aware of the issue now. Let's hope for the best. They also mentioned this problem may take longer than usual to fix but could not specify a timeline. I signed up for updates, so I will post here when I receive one. 

herrshaun
I Plan to Stick Around

@JJSG Signed up for updates where? Was it something through your tech, or can I get in on that?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry if I'm sounding unsympathetic or if you think that I'm trying to cast doubt on any of the problems that you are all reporting.  That is NOT my intention.

There's DEFINITELY a real problem.  I've seen it and I can confirm what you have been seeing.

Today, I am no longer seeing the ping spikes that I saw over the weekend.  I'm only speaking for myself and about the quality of my own service, nothing more, nothing else.  I truly would like to see the Rogers Internet service get back to being consistent and reliable, for everybody.  I would also REALLY like to find out what has been causing this issue.

I also think that this same issue may also be causing all sorts of problems for a number of Ignite TV customers as well, who are seeing audio and video freezes despite tech support not being able to see any problems with the signal to their modems, the quality of their Wi-Fi, or any other problems with their equipment.

I would like to see this problem get fixed, for everybody's sake.

JJSG
I'm Here A Lot

@herrshaun It was through the tech/support on the online chat actually. I'd recommend going through the online support at https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus and describing your issue. They told me that they have been getting lots of reports about latency/ping spikes/packet loss recently and they will escalate a ticket on my account and others that will hopefully eventually go to the engineers. I received the option from support to give my cell number to them and I will receive updates on the situation/ticket via text. They also mentioned they have been able to resolve this issue for some, but I will wait to see what happens with my Internet before reporting back.

I agree with you on the second part. There is some useful information on here (from Datalink), but you will definitely have more success communicating directly with Rogers. 

herrshaun
I Plan to Stick Around

@JJSG I got a similar statement from a chat support agent, and the "update" I got basically boiled down to "we pinged your modem for 10 seconds and it looked fine, ticket closed". Here's hoping you have better luck than I did.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun thank you for that.  Please do not include myself or any of the other Resident Experts in your category of being present just to keep up appearances.  The REs are customers and volunteers who don't mind spending the time to assist other customers whenever and wherever we can.  The main point to keep in mind is that we're not Rogers employees.  We are volunteers on a forum where we believe and think that we can be of assistance to other customers.  As volunteers we don't have access to the system or to customer accounts, that's for everyone's protection.  Unfortunately, as we don't have system access, that also means that we don't have the ability to run tests that might help to determine what some of the issues are that are affecting performance of a customers internet systems.  We can do a lot thru coaching and direction which enables customers to run their own testing and modification of equipment settings, but, at the end of the day, its up to the individual customers to accomplish those steps and when necessary contact technical support or reach out to the moderators thru @CommunityHelps.  And at the end of the day, as is pointed out by the moderators, this is mainly a customer supported (thru volunteers), customer support forum with limited support by the moderators. 

My personal wish is to see more technical support by the engineering staff, network ops staff and others.  This could absolutely be a rocking forum with additional support, and that doesn't mean dedicating individuals from the various departments to this forum. A couple of hours here, a couple of hours there, by staff members who can instantly recognize a problem, pick up the phone at a moments notice and contact the right person would go a long way.  This forum or any forum like it is a great place to keep the company ear to the ground, so to speak,  and determine what the current day problems are.  The question is, is Rogers willing to make that effort.  Can't answer that as I don't work for Rogers. 

At the present time, personal opinion, we need someone from the Network Operations Center to watch the forum postings and use those posts to track down affected modems and CMTS equipment in real time.  That's pretty easy to do.  Allow a dedicated staff member to correspond directly with the customers based on what's posted.  That works, there is no doubt about it.  Just a matter of commitment from Rogers.  

I can see that I'm going to have to create a series of test steps to collect data on ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP response times and losses.  Hopefully with more customer data, there will be a little more clarity around the ongoing problems.   

If as has been indicated, that Rogers is doing some kind of maintenance that has resulted in the ongoing chaos, without warning the users, well that's would be a good example of how not to run a major change that affects your customers.  I'll only believe that when all of the details shake out in the wash, as they say.  There would have to be significant equipment changes and significant difficulties in accomplishing that change in order to result in what some customers are currently experiencing.  Sometimes that happens.  Despite all of the planning and preparation that you might have done, the equipment arrives onsite and installation simply doesn't go according to plan due to unforeseen and unknown issues.  Stuff happens ...... 😞

herrshaun
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Here's the thing. I appreciate that you're taking time out of your own schedule to talk with customers and guide them to a resolution, saving them the burden of the chain of support. I understand that you're trying to be helpful.

But here's what's not helpful: In a thread full of frustrated people who are all dealing with the same issue a month later, suggesting troubleshooting they would have tried on day one. Doing your own ping test during good hours, shrugging your shoulders and telling people "looks fine to me, I don't know why people are complaining". 

Again, I'm not singling you out, but in this and other threads, I've seen a complete disregard of the issue at hand from Rogers posters. When someone doesn't even bother to try to understand the issue at hand, even when the person tells them verbatim, it's pretty obvious that they're not really there to help at all.