cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@Datalink So your estimation is that this is all some problem with modem firmware, and that multiple modem models all got firmware at the same time? 

I'd like to believe that, I really would, but you must understand that's a pretty big coincidence.

I tried everything Datalink suggested...no Dice, so I opened a ticket, not expecting much.  I have never seen such wild speedtests in my life....

950 one minute, 10 the next......I moved over from Bell many months ago because they still only had the 100 Meg service, unfortunately no true Fiber in my area.   so, I am kinda stuck...

Wait and see......

@herrshaun  nope I don't think that at all.  There's only a small group of test modems with the 7.1.1.30 version running now.  Eventually, the successor to that version will be released network wide.  I have no idea how long that will take.  

My guess is that there's been some change in the network around the GTA, or that possibly there's a DDOS attack under way, or some other issue.  I don't believe that a large number of users suddenly had external cable issues to the extent that we see in this thread.  There's something else going on that affects Rogers customers and TPIA ( on Rcable) customers as well.  This is where a contact with a Network Operations staff member would be very useful.   Hello, NOC, are you listening??

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BigJay1 wrote:

I tried everything Datalink suggested...no Dice, so I opened a ticket, not expecting much.  I have never seen such wild speedtests in my life....

I did some more ping tests and the ping times are looking pretty normal now for me:

--- speedcheck.rogers.com ping statistics ---
3000 packets transmitted, 2983 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003687ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.515/11.074/86.716/4.890 ms

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

17 timeouts is normal now?

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

I have this version. *edit* not sure when it came in... I read a field wrong. Thought it was uptime.

I am doing ping tests and still seeing spikes

So progress of sorts from Rogers.  They finally admit that they are doing maintenance since Feb 5.  Exactly around the same time period that we all have been experiencing issues.  

Now get this, they don't have an ETA on when this issue will be resolved.  What a joke.

Mcgronow
I plan to stick around
Lag spikes are still happening and only getting worse. I’m switching to Bell - will follow up if that fixes it

jtm437
I've been here awhile

I am from Newfoundland and have been experiencing the same issues the past week. If I am playing video games and run Ping Plotter I can see ping spikes to 3000ms about every 10 seconds. Playing online games has been impossible for a week and it is really frustrating.

I am also likely going to switch to bell if this isn't fixed soon.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@Mikec_81 Did a tech tell you this, or where did you hear it? If it's true, that's a relief on one hand because it means I can stop dealing with the pepegas in tech support, but on the other hand that's also balls because it's been a month.

@herrshaun   

Here is what has happened tonight:

The first point of contact was a tech who looked over my tickets and acknowledged that they were working in my area starting on the 5th among other dates on the "main line".  He said that there was work done as recently as today.  His supervisor then told me that no, the last work that was done in my area was on the 20th.  But since I have been getting issues including tonight obviously there was nothing that was fixed.  He then turned around and insisted that these maintenance tickets were for "minor" issues and that there is nothing wrong with the network.

Lmao.  I am in the middle of a raid right now and I got another 5 minute period where the game was unplayable.  After chilling with the guys, gonna get Bell to get their guys in here and give them a shot.  50mpbs is the best they can do but if it means stable latency and no packet loss, that is good enough for me.

10 years Rogers....so long

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@Mikec_81 Report back here after a while and let us know how that goes. If Rogers keeps this up then I might make the switch too.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

17 timeouts is normal now?

I was only referring to the ping times.  Speed test servers are not always the best choice to test with.

I did another test this evening:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604255ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.865/12.187/40.608/2.915 ms

I'm totally fine with this.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@-G- The problem is, the fact that you had a good hour of pings later isn't a good indication of anything. I guarantee if you do more ping tests, especially later at night, you're going to see the insane ping spikes and packet loss all of us are talking about.

If the engineering team thought of this, just think of where we'd be!

blackbox970
I've been here awhile

Another frustrated customer chiming in here experiencing terrible latency and timeout issues...  The ping issues it causes for online gaming makes it unplayable.

Can't say exactly when it started for me, but I'd guess it's been like this for roughly a month now.
300u plan in Waterloo, ON.  Modem is CODA-4582U

Ping plotter to Rogers DNS tonight: https://imgur.com/a/FxWavek

Mikec_81
I'm here a lot

@-G- 

At the end of the day I am getting periods of unacceptable packet loss and high latency.  It happened again tonight.  It may seem trivial to talk about periods of high latency at night when they only last 15-30 minutes but this level of service from Rogers means I can't make my dedicated raid times for WoW.  

And it sucks that no one higher up seems to care so to speak.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm still running tests right now and don't know to what extent I may still be affected by this.  I'm just saying that during my testing today, I haven't seen a single ping spike over 100 ms in any of my test runs, and that's pretty good compared to what I saw over the weekend.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@-G- You had 17 timeouts. A timeout is a ping that is so high, the ping utility simply stops waiting for a response and gives up. The cutoff is something like 4 seconds, which means you had ping spikes higher than that. 

This is bad.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

The cutoff is something like 4 seconds, which means you had ping spikes higher than that. 

No, that's not true.  Also, in that particular test run, the all of the previous and subsequent pings were < 20ms, so those packets simply got dropped somewhere.  It happens.  I'm not a gamer and I'm not using the service for tele-robotic surgery, so I'm not going to freak out over a few lost packets.

Another test run just finished:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604226ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.628/12.754/76.179/3.829 ms

Good enough for me.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@-G- Well that's all well and good, but the majority of people who are "freaking out over a few lost packets" are gamers, who are paying quite a bit of money for consistent internet that's not happening.

Again, a couple of decent ping tests are not indicative of anything. I wish more people at Rogers, especially the people who have the power to fix this, understood that.

gamei56
I've been here awhile

It's not just gaming, anyone who uses any sort of streaming or live connection such as video calls, any sort of voice comm over WiFi, VNC, SSH, RDP are immensely impacted by packet loss. I've even had problems with buffered streaming applications like YouTube and Spotify lately. 

My connection tonight has been good surprisingly, but the damage is already done for me, it doesn't seem to me that this will be reliably resolved in a known amount of time. I've scheduled an installation for Bell FTTH. I'm hoping this will resolve the issues, but Datalink was also mentioning that Bell was having some issues on the East Coast?

Hopefully this gets fixed for all of us soon one way or another