cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,005 REPLIES 1,005

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

I need to add to this thread, I have Rogers Fibre Gigabit, in a fairly new community with ONLY fiber lines installed from both Rogers and Bell.  I use the White modem, as a modem, NOT as a gateway (that functionality I turned off, as I found there were too many stability issues with Wifi), and I use the Nest Wifi.  

My Wifi is PERFECT.. always running, no hiccups, fast, etc.. 

the ROGERS lines are the things that are dropping for me, multiple times a week, for 5 minutes or so each time.  When rogers drops, I can still use my Intranet and access my shared network drives, etc.. all via Wifi (nothing is hardwired).  

A lot of people misunderstand that when you use a 2-in-1 device, when one thing fails they both fail.  Or, when you try to do two things at once, you will end up doing neither very well.  

Get a dedicated router, that you own and can modify settings on to suit your needs, and use the ISPs modem as it is meant to be, as a MODEM.  

I have been on hold with rogers for the last hour trying to get them to understand that my internet dropping has nothing to do with Wifi, or Ethernet cables, or anything in my house, as its not just me, it is my entire community that drops at the same time.  Speak to your neighbours who also have rogers, and see if they have the same issues. 

sdfroger
I've Been Around

Recently I've noticed continual 5-10 second intervals of the internet just not working and I think I've determined it has something to do with packet loss. Following this post on the forums https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ping-spiking/m-p/481754/highlight/true#M67563

I pinged the IP and left it running for an hour. Those are the primary IPV4 and IPV6 DNS addresses for Rogers.  When I finally checked on it this was the result, I stopped it a bit early.

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 2768, Received = 1803, Lost = 965 (34% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 503ms, Average = 14ms

So 35% packet loss, what's the next step to do from here?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sdfroger  Keep in mind that the ping packet loss stats on Windows can be a bit bogus because ping will report a lost packet whenever it does not receive a response within 4 seconds.  The problem may be that you actually experiencing VERY bad latency.  It's important to identify what the actual underlying problem(s) is/are.  If you add a "-w 20000" switch to your ping command, ping will wait up to 20 seconds for the response to arrive.

Pguy
I Plan to Stick Around

I have brief disconnections and slowdowns. 

My theory, now, is that Rogers is throttling my vpn (vpns, in general)?  

I don't think Rogers will concede that but here is the pattern:

internet is running at regular/acceptable speeds:  30/5 - 28mbps down/5 up - direct connection with Rogers modem or connected via 3rd party router - using normal connection.

When using vpn:   speeds vary from 20 - 27 mbps

Eventually/suddenly (at random):   I experience a disconnection - then when I reboot modem and/or router - connection resumes but connected via vpn - speeds drop drastically to 5 mbps

This has occurred at least 4 or 5 separate times - with the first two events - longer disconnection (all night) and vpn connection with a slow speed for several hours.

I am not happy.   I am also reading about Rogers executives wanting to shut down vpns - articles from 2015.

I doubt I can receive any help/assistance on this - as I suspect it's an unofficial policy - to randomly throttle a vpn connection? 

Pguy
I Plan to Stick Around
DOWN AGAIN!!!!!

I HAVE TO USE MY DATA TO POST NOW.

GETTING SICK OF THIS!