cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

PDUBZ
I've been around

The new Ignite boxes seem to take up alot of power so if you are in an old house with old breaker panel and old wiring then it won't work properly, as it seems (landlord recently changed us to 100AMP from a 60 AMP, but didn't fix the issues...wiring needs to be changed over as well apparently. I'm in a 100+ year old house in Barrie, Allandale area, and my window AC unit always drops out when it's hot as downstairs neighbour's have a few AC units running constantly....when the AC drops out in our unit, the internet cuts out as well..but everything else (minus refrigeration and microwave) works perfectly fine, and our lights flicker as well..more than frustrating, and also makes me wonder why a single modem needs so much power lol!!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PDUBZ wrote:  ...makes me wonder why a single modem needs so much power lol!!!!

I can't imagine the modem using more than say 5-10W.  The IgniteTV STBs probably only use 5W or less.  I suggest you look elsewhere for the source of your problem.  Perhaps try plugging the problem equipment into a different circuit in your home. You may need an extension cord for that test.

You can test the power draw of various devices using a Watt Meter. Sometimes you can borrow one from a friend or local library.

Did this get resolved? I'm having the EXACT same issue for the past 5 weeks and Roger's has been useless in resolving my problem. I've had two tech come on site, I've upgraded from Legacy to ignite and even had my hardware changed out. Nothing is working...

j2k99
I've been here awhile
It seems that my internet signal periodically drops throughout the day for about 10 seconds and then connects again. I notice this via my ignite tv. Tv signal blacks out for about 10 seconds or so then comes in again. I get a message that I’m
Experiencing connection issues and to check modem connections are tight. I’ve had two Rogers tech guys come today and the second time he changed my modem to the new ignite WiFi gateway gen 2. So far it’s happened once where the signal drops for a short period then comes in again but it does disconnects everyone at hom on WiFi. Any ideas on what’s causing this?

Exactly same problem. 3-4 resets done but the problem continues for me. Any solutions??

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around
STILL DOWN.

I have to use my data (different provider) to post here! THANKS A LOT!

Hello @Pguy!

Welcome to our Community!

Is your Internet still down?

If so, feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Pguy
I plan to stick around
Keeps disconnecting or only offers ultra low (unusable) speeds.

atpham
I've been here awhile

Rogers promised that if I switch to Ignite internet, I can get good internet anywhere throughout the house.  It has been almost two years and every month or two I have to call for support and Rogers used to send someone to the house to fix the problem.  It seems that now they don't even bother to come out any more.  June 29th, I called and they said they would send someone out and will either call or text me within 24-48 h to let me know what needs to be done to fix the unstable internet connection.  NOONE called or text.

Problem continued on and off.  I called on July 19th and the tech support repeatedly told me that unless I am hardwired I should not expect to get stable or high speed internet until I told her to stop telling me nonsense as that is not the claim Rogers makes about Ignite service.  She said someone will look into it and get back to me within 24 h as she made the ticket high priority.  NOONE called or text to let me know anything.  I called again on July 20th, tech support gave me the same answer and assured me that I would be contacted by end of day to let me know what needs to be done to fix the issue.   Needless to say, I did not receive a single call or text and the problem continues.....  Do I have to make another half an hour call to receive the same answer again?!?

Their tech support is now telling the same lie every single time.  Clearly they are no longer bothering to fix the issue.  What does it take to get tech support or should I just switch provider if I wish to get any service???? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@atpham wrote:

Rogers promised that if I switch to Ignite internet, I can get good internet anywhere throughout the house.  It has been almost two years and every month or two I have to call for support and Rogers used to send someone to the house to fix the problem.  It seems that now they don't even bother to come out any more.  June 29th, I called and they said they would send someone out and will either call or text me within 24-48 h to let me know what needs to be done to fix the unstable internet connection.  NOONE called or text. 

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  Did you just switch to Ignite Internet recently or did you make the switch two years ago and have been battling with Rogers ever since?

Rogers makes a pretty bold "Ignite WiFi promise", and with the latest version of their hardware, they do offer a good solution that should perform well when installed correctly.  (Obviously, that promise comes with some conditions.  There are some highly-populated areas and certain types of building construction where Wi-Fi will not perform well.)

Problem continued on and off.  I called on July 19th and the tech support repeatedly told me that unless I am hardwired I should not expect to get stable or high speed internet until I told her to stop telling me nonsense as that is not the claim Rogers makes about Ignite service. 

If you have a Gigabit Internet service, it is unrealistic to expect Gigabit speeds over wireless... but if installed correctly, the service should be stable and you should get good WiFi coverage.

If you Internet service is unstable, you need to figure out whether it's due to a Wi-Fi problem, a problem with the Ignite gateway, or the coax Internet connection itself.  An Ethernet-connected computer should always have good, stable Internet connectivity.  If it does not, that is the first thing that Rogers needs to fix.

She said someone will look into it and get back to me within 24 h as she made the ticket high priority.  NOONE called or text to let me know anything.  I called again on July 20th, tech support gave me the same answer and assured me that I would be contacted by end of day to let me know what needs to be done to fix the issue.   Needless to say, I did not receive a single call or text and the problem continues.....  Do I have to make another half an hour call to receive the same answer again?!?

Their tech support is now telling the same lie every single time.  Clearly they are no longer bothering to fix the issue.  What does it take to get tech support or should I just switch provider if I wish to get any service???? 

Lots of people here say that their Internet keeps dropping.  It could be a problem on Rogers side.  It could be a problem within your home that you need to fix.

I just performed an Ignite TV installation a few days ago for family members who had never had Rogers Internet.

The first thing that I had to do was clean up the installation, removing splitters that they had in place for their Digital TV coax feeds.  I made sure that their modem had a good connection.

A Rogers tech (a contractor) dropped off the Ignite TV and Internet equipment.  The signal levels looked a bit strong at first, and this was confirmed when I brought the modem online.  I installed a 6 dB attenuator and the tech confirmed that everything looked good from his side.  I did the same and confirmed that the modem stats looked good.  The tech left and I continued to test the Internet connection before installing anything else.  I didn't see any uncorrectable codewords errors in the stats and I was getting the speeds that I was expecting when I tested with a computer over a wired Ethernet connection.

Before installing Pods, I manually set my preferred 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi channels on the modem.  I did some Wi-Fi testing using just the modem/gateway's Wi-Fi.  I also installed one Ignite TV set-top box (next to the modem) to confirm that the Ignite TV service worked well.  I also did a site survey and confirmed where the Wi-Fi signal was good and where I needed to improve coverage. 

I knew that I needed to install a Pod.  I also had to find the best possible location to install that Pod.  It couldn't be too close or too far from the Ignite modem/gateway.  It had to provide coverage to the dead zones in the house.  It also had to plug into an available wall socket.  I found a good location for the Pod but then had to reposition the modem so that the Pod could get a good connection.  (The wall behind the modem had plumbing, wiring, duct work, etc. and this made it very challenging to get a good connection to the Pod, and the Pod kept going offline.)

Today, everything is still performing well.  No issues.  However, it was really tricky getting the Wi-Fi installed correctly.  If I were to move the modem literally inches to the left or right, WiFi performance and stability would suffer.  You can't just take components out of the box, plug them in and expect everything to just work.

@atpham  I really am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these difficulties.  However, the only way to get this fixed may be to redo the same steps that I did.  Start by ensuring that you have a good, stable Internet for your devices with wired Ethernet connections.  Once that is done, get your Wi-Fi network stable.  This may not be an easy task if you are in a high-density area with many Wi-Fi networks and/or have a home with challenging building construction.

You can also start by sending a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team and ask them to check your modem's signal levels and the health of the Rogers network in your area.

Pguy
I plan to stick around

"You can also start by sending a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team and ask them to check your modem's signal levels and the health of the Rogers network in your area."

I would really like this to be done.

When I first signed up, the speeds and connection were just as good as before - with a third party ISP provider.

This month, I started having issues.  The speeds drop considerably and I've had disconnections. 

I have a good 'deal' but I am not getting the speeds I am paying for.   I have the option of paying a bit more and increasing the speed profile but I can't do that right now.   I also don't think I should until this issue is fixed. 

atpham
I've been here awhile
After waiting for 2 days with no response, I called Rogers again. I learned that Rogers had decided to intermittently monitor my internet for 7 days and put a note on file "Do not send out serviceman". So much for resolving my issue by end of day and being lied to by the customer support. After half an hour of refusing to get off the phone unless they send out someone the next day, customer support finally relented and scheduled someone to come out the next day to replace my modem and check the line from inside the house. It turned out that they provide poor quality modem that degrades after about a year and needs to be replaced.
And it is not due to splitting or wiring in the house since the modem is connected directly to the only line coming into the house from the street. I had removed all other cables two years ago when the house was renovated. I can't remember how many times they had sent out service calls over the last two years and the number of escalations I had to do to get it fixed. One time, it took over a month for them to replaced a line down the street that was defective and only because I had escalated it beyond the regular customer support that they finally look into it.
Poor service and poor quality equipment from Rogers! You do not get service unless you start escalating. The policy of just monitoring poor internet service for a whole week instead of sending out someone to address the issue immediately is beyond description of poor service!

NM72
I've been around

Hi team,

We have been having issues with Inconsistent and unreliable connection 1Gig internet plan for past 2weeks.

Customer care is taking forever to reach. After talking to them, Scheduled appointments/visits are not being honoured. Please suggest the options we have given the circumstances.

Hello, @NM72.

Thank you for your patience with an intermittent Internet connection, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums.

Are you experiencing this intermittency on a wired or WiFi connection?

Can you also please post the Downstream, Upstream, OFDM/OFDMA sections from the Status/DOCSIS WAN page of the modem? This data will help in analyzing the signal reaching your modem.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jphorx
I've been here awhile

Exact same problem here as well.  Periodic drops for 5-30s that self-recovers.  Validated when directly connected to the modem so I know it's not any of my home equipment.  All calls and service visits are completely fruitless.  This is 100% a network equipment problem that they don't seem to have the ability to detect or diagnose properly.

I can't wait until there are viable alternatives in my area.  Ignite has been a truly awful experience with my family all working and learning from home.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jphorx  Did your support calls ever get escalated to second-level (or higher) techs and/or did they ever dispatch an actual Rogers field tech, who drives a red truck, not a contractor?

An L1 support tech can check your signal levels and tell you that everything is fine.  Higher-level techs and network engineers have access to additional troubleshooting tools, logs and stats on the node/CMTS.

Given that this issue has been going on for so long, Rogers probably knows exactly what the problem is and has escalated this issue with their vendors.  However, if any of their vendors are not cooperating, it could still be a while before this problem (for those affected) finally gets fixed.

jphorx
I've been here awhile

They've never sent anyone in a red truck, so I guess I can try again. 

It's just such an exhausting procedure to go through the call center and go through all the steps in their script... I've done it so many times only to get a trainee-level tech show up or a promise to "monitor it on our end". 

I asked them to skip their script last time and just escalate immediately I was literally hung-up on.  After a 55-minute wait to talk to them, it just left me seething, so I thought it best for everyone involved not to call back right away.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jphorx wrote:

They've never sent anyone in a red truck, so I guess I can try again. 

It's just such an exhausting procedure to go through the call center and go through all the steps in their script... I've done it so many times only to get a trainee-level tech show up or a promise to "monitor it on our end".

Rogers dispatched a contractor.  Those folks are fine for dealing with most problems.  However, if the problem is beyond their ability to fix, they don't seem to have the ability to escalate it to Rogers' engineering or maintenance teams.

I asked them to skip their script last time and just escalate immediately I was literally hung-up on.  After a 55-minute wait to talk to them, it just left me seething, so I thought it best for everyone involved not to call back right away.

I can't stress enough how important it is to be patient with whoever you deal with on the phone.  You may be frustrated but the tech support teams really are trying to help, and there are reasons why they need to stick to established procedures.  To get this escalated, you just need to tell them that the contractor that they dispatched was unable to fix the problem, that your issue is still ongoing, and ask them to dispatch a "Senior Tech".  Before they do that, hopefully the L1 tech will escalate (and perhaps even transfer your call) to their L2 techs for further investigation.

Another avenue for support is to send a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team.

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I'm not sure how to log into the modem.

It's a Hitron CGN3ACSMR - neither 192.168.0.1 nor 192.168.100.1 work.

My theory is that the modem is contributing to or causing most of the problems.  I am not sure what to do next although I think I am getting speed drops due to the modem when using my router.

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I am able to log in now.  I read a number of posts on the forum.

Here's the updated scoop:

192.168.100.1 - gets me to the login screen - I must connect directly to a computer - computer and modem.  

I was using a third party router - had to disconnect that.

I enter username:  cusadmin and I used a password I created - I finally remembered what it was.   Thank you to someone who said to use default username and whatever password you changed the default to (the new password you came up with).

However, now I am wondering what to do next.   Gateway mode is disabled.  

My connection problems were last month and for a couple of days.   So, maybe they were 'fixed' - if it was on Rogers/connection end - I am just curious what the connection quality is, though.   I think Rogers tech can obtain that, right?

But, there is a remaining issue of connection speed drops when using a vpn.   I believe there's a few posts on here about that.   I don't know if the modem has anything to do with it.   I read a few posts on here about speed drops when using a vpn.   The speed when not using the vpn is usually very good - at max or near the max speeds.

But, it's well below half otherwise.   I know there is some reduction but more than 1/2 the speed is significant and not normal. 

Okay, waiting for further instruction and advice.  

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I think my downstream data looks okay - I understand that 38db signal noise is acceptable.  Here's the upstream data - the one at Port 2/Channel 8 looks a bit high?

Upstream Overview

Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
121100000ATDMA - 64QAM38.75053200000
238700000ATDMA - 64QAM42.50086400000
332300000ATDMA - 64QAM40.50076400000
425900000ATDMA - 64QAM40.50066400000