cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,005 REPLIES 1,005

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

Hi. If you were able.to.solve the issue. I am facing almost the same situation with no remedy till now.

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

carolynfs
I Plan to Stick Around

The only way that I found to resolve the issue was to attach my laptop via ethernet cable to the Rogers modem.  That works 99% of the time.  Occasionally if I use the laptop in the middle of the night, I find that my internet has dropped momentarily, even with the ethernet cable attached.  I have not experienced problems with the Ignite TV or home phone recently. 

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

nagasur
I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been a Rogers customer since 2012 and have been having all sorts of major internet connectivity issues for the last 2.5yrs with no efforts made by Rogers to resolve it. I'm basically looking at another provider.

carolynfs
I Plan to Stick Around

You may want to research issues with each of those companies; I've spoken with people also having internet issues who have those other suppliers.  And you may also want to let Rogers know that you're thinking about leaving to see whether there is something that they can do for you.  After 7 consulting 7 technicians both online and in person, the 8th advised me that the only way to get reliability was an ethernet cable. 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Don’t just accept “the only way to get reliability is with an ethernet cable” as an answer. While a hard wired connection will always be more reliable than WiFi, that statement is not entirely accurate. People should not be having as many problems with their WiFi as they’re reporting…if they do, then their WiFi networks are not configured properly. If those same individuals are not willing to install and manage their own 3rd party networking solutions (I don’t blame them if they’re not), then they should be contacting Rogers to get the problems fixed. Be persistent about it. Call Rogers every day if you have to until the problems are fixed. Also, don’t be afraid to use the “file a complaint” option on the Rogers site if you’re not getting anywhere with tech support. Rogers even has a worry-free internet / WiFi promise.

When WiFi is configured correctly, it should be very stable and reliable, so much so that you shouldn’t really notice a difference between being connected wirelessly vs via an ethernet cable.