cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

chandlore
I've been around

Internet drops multiple times a day, requiring a reboot of router (T3 time-out, Ranging, DHCP Renew):

Help, please!  For the last 1-2 weeks (it was fairly stable prior to this) Rogers internet drops at least once a day, and once in the evening.  Sometimes it's multiple times within a short period of time, while other times it does provide some hours before it drops again.  All devices on Wi-Fi are booted, and even hard-wired PCs show the internet is no longer accessible.  Rebooting resolves the issue...but only for a period of time.  So frustrating!  If this helps:

DOCSIS Logs

(Log removed for security/privacy reasons. Please edit MAC address before posting. - RogersMoin)

And DOCSIS WAN overviews:

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 597000000 256QAM -2.000 8 37.356
2 579000000 256QAM -1.500 5 37.356
3 585000000 256QAM -1.600 6 37.636
4 591000000 256QAM -1.700 7 37.356
5 303000000 256QAM -3.200 1 37.636
6 603000000 256QAM -2.200 9 37.636
7 609000000 256QAM -1.800 10 37.356
8 615000000 256QAM -2.500 11 36.610
9 621000000 256QAM -2.300 12 36.610
10 633000000 256QAM -1.800 13 36.610
11 639000000 256QAM -1.700 14 36.610
12 645000000 256QAM -1.100 15 37.636
13 651000000 256QAM -1.000 16 37.636
14 657000000 256QAM -0.700 17 37.356
15 663000000 256QAM -0.200 18 37.636
16 669000000 256QAM -1.000 19 37.356
17 675000000 256QAM -0.700 20 37.356
18 681000000 256QAM -0.400 21 37.356
19 687000000 256QAM -1.200 22 37.356
20 693000000 256QAM -1.400 23 37.356
21 699000000 256QAM -1.400 24 37.356
22 705000000 256QAM -1.500 25 37.356
23 711000000 256QAM -2.200 26 37.636
24 717000000 256QAM -1.300 27 37.636
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Bandwidth
1 21100000 ATDMA - 64QAM 44.750 1 3200000
2 38700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 46.750 4 6400000
3 32300000 ATDMA - 64QAM 46.000 3 6400000
4 25900000 ATDMA - 64QAM 44.750 2 6400000

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, @chandlore.

Thank you for posting your intermittent Internet concern, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums. 

I appreciate your detailed post; both the downstream and upstream signal levels seem fine. We can further look into it for you to figure out the root cause of intermittency. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

nagasur
I plan to stick around
Having the same issue here since the last 2 weeks in Downtown Toronto area. Everytime I contact the tech support they just keep telling me to upgrade to Rogers Ignite instead of taking ownership and resolving the issue.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nagasur wrote:
Having the same issue here since the last 2 weeks in Downtown Toronto area. Everytime I contact the tech support they just keep telling me to upgrade to Rogers Ignite instead of taking ownership and resolving the issue.

If the Rogers support teams are going to say stuff like that then they need to provide a valid technical explanation as to what, precisely, is causing the service disruption/instability and why switching to Ignite is the only way to fix it... and also explain why other Ignite Internet customers are also reporting similar issues.

You should probably also explore other options for Internet connectivity, services that do not use the Rogers network.  If Rogers can't provide you with a stable Internet service then you will need to find another provider that can.

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

mnauman
I've been here awhile
Hi. If you were able.to.solve the issue. I am facing almost the same situation with no remedy till now.

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

carolynfs
I plan to stick around

The only way that I found to resolve the issue was to attach my laptop via ethernet cable to the Rogers modem.  That works 99% of the time.  Occasionally if I use the laptop in the middle of the night, I find that my internet has dropped momentarily, even with the ethernet cable attached.  I have not experienced problems with the Ignite TV or home phone recently. 

nagasur
I plan to stick around

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been a Rogers customer since 2012 and have been having all sorts of major internet connectivity issues for the last 2.5yrs with no efforts made by Rogers to resolve it. I'm basically looking at another provider.

carolynfs
I plan to stick around

You may want to research issues with each of those companies; I've spoken with people also having internet issues who have those other suppliers.  And you may also want to let Rogers know that you're thinking about leaving to see whether there is something that they can do for you.  After 7 consulting 7 technicians both online and in person, the 8th advised me that the only way to get reliability was an ethernet cable. 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Don’t just accept “the only way to get reliability is with an ethernet cable” as an answer. While a hard wired connection will always be more reliable than WiFi, that statement is not entirely accurate. People should not be having as many problems with their WiFi as they’re reporting…if they do, then their WiFi networks are not configured properly. If those same individuals are not willing to install and manage their own 3rd party networking solutions (I don’t blame them if they’re not), then they should be contacting Rogers to get the problems fixed. Be persistent about it. Call Rogers every day if you have to until the problems are fixed. Also, don’t be afraid to use the “file a complaint” option on the Rogers site if you’re not getting anywhere with tech support. Rogers even has a worry-free internet / WiFi promise.

When WiFi is configured correctly, it should be very stable and reliable, so much so that you shouldn’t really notice a difference between being connected wirelessly vs via an ethernet cable.

I need to add to this thread, I have Rogers Fibre Gigabit, in a fairly new community with ONLY fiber lines installed from both Rogers and Bell.  I use the White modem, as a modem, NOT as a gateway (that functionality I turned off, as I found there were too many stability issues with Wifi), and I use the Nest Wifi.  

My Wifi is PERFECT.. always running, no hiccups, fast, etc.. 

the ROGERS lines are the things that are dropping for me, multiple times a week, for 5 minutes or so each time.  When rogers drops, I can still use my Intranet and access my shared network drives, etc.. all via Wifi (nothing is hardwired).  

A lot of people misunderstand that when you use a 2-in-1 device, when one thing fails they both fail.  Or, when you try to do two things at once, you will end up doing neither very well.  

Get a dedicated router, that you own and can modify settings on to suit your needs, and use the ISPs modem as it is meant to be, as a MODEM.  

I have been on hold with rogers for the last hour trying to get them to understand that my internet dropping has nothing to do with Wifi, or Ethernet cables, or anything in my house, as its not just me, it is my entire community that drops at the same time.  Speak to your neighbours who also have rogers, and see if they have the same issues. 

User8180
I've been here awhile

Recently I've noticed continual 5-10 second intervals of the internet just not working and I think I've determined it has something to do with packet loss. Following this post on the forums https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ping-spiking/m-p/481754/highlight/true#M67563

I pinged the IP and left it running for an hour. Those are the primary IPV4 and IPV6 DNS addresses for Rogers.  When I finally checked on it this was the result, I stopped it a bit early.

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 2768, Received = 1803, Lost = 965 (34% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 503ms, Average = 14ms

So 35% packet loss, what's the next step to do from here?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User8180  Keep in mind that the ping packet loss stats on Windows can be a bit bogus because ping will report a lost packet whenever it does not receive a response within 4 seconds.  The problem may be that you actually experiencing VERY bad latency.  It's important to identify what the actual underlying problem(s) is/are.  If you add a "-w 20000" switch to your ping command, ping will wait up to 20 seconds for the response to arrive.

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I have brief disconnections and slowdowns. 

My theory, now, is that Rogers is throttling my vpn (vpns, in general)?  

I don't think Rogers will concede that but here is the pattern:

internet is running at regular/acceptable speeds:  30/5 - 28mbps down/5 up - direct connection with Rogers modem or connected via 3rd party router - using normal connection.

When using vpn:   speeds vary from 20 - 27 mbps

Eventually/suddenly (at random):   I experience a disconnection - then when I reboot modem and/or router - connection resumes but connected via vpn - speeds drop drastically to 5 mbps

This has occurred at least 4 or 5 separate times - with the first two events - longer disconnection (all night) and vpn connection with a slow speed for several hours.

I am not happy.   I am also reading about Rogers executives wanting to shut down vpns - articles from 2015.

I doubt I can receive any help/assistance on this - as I suspect it's an unofficial policy - to randomly throttle a vpn connection? 

Pguy
I plan to stick around
DOWN AGAIN!!!!!

I HAVE TO USE MY DATA TO POST NOW.

GETTING SICK OF THIS!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pguy  When you say that you are experiencing disconnects, is your Internet link actually going down?  i.e. Is your modem actually resetting or are the status lights indicating that the modem is trying to reconnect to the Rogers network?

As for your slowness, I don't think that Rogers targets VPNs specifically.  (The 2015 articles that you were referring to were media executives venting their frustration over their customers using VPNs to bypass geoblocks so that they can access content on foreign streaming services.)  VPNs are a fact of life these says.  People use them when they work from home and to protect their privacy.  If you are experiencing problems with your VPN connection, Rogers even has a support page for this: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/vpn

However, Rogers absolutely does implement traffic management policies and will limit your upload speed if you generate huge volumes of upload traffic.

https://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/Rogers-Network-Management-Policy-en.pdf

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I'll note the lights from now on when it's a true disconnection - no internet connection whatsoever. 

But, I'm more concerned about the VPN connection.   It's like night and day - I disconnect from the VPN and the speeds (speed test) is normal.   I connect to the vpn and the speed is crawling.  

I didn't have these problems with my previous ISP.   There was maybe three serious disconnections a year (down for several hours) but there was no problems when the VPN was being used.   Of course, the vpn speeds were slightly lower than the speed profile but it was normal.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pguy when the internet service fails, thats the best time to call tech support, assuming of course that the service remains in a failed condition while you're on the phone waiting for tech support.  Its far easier troubleshoot a problem while its in progress, instead of trying to troubleshoot a problem that has come and gone.  

Since your in an apartment, there are two connection possibilities here.  If the apartment building is large enough, it might have its own Multiple Dwelling Unit(s) (MDUs) running.  That is one or more local taps which  connect to the individual apartments.  These are located in the service room somewhere in the basement of the building.  If you're in a smaller apartment building, the apartments might be connected to an external local neighbourhood node, which is located nearby. 

The MDUs are normally pretty reliable, but, when they start to fail, they're a pain to troubleshoot.  I don't know if a low level field tech is allowed to do anything with an MDU other than connect or disconnect service to the apartments.  Since you're having problems at this point, I'd ask tech support if you're connected to an MDU or to an external neighbourhood node.  If the answer is an MDU, then you should ask tech support to send a field tech to switch you to an unused port on another local tap, assuming that there is one available.  If not, then a tech needs to be assigned to switch out any components of the MDU that might be failing. 

Since the cable system in a building is normally stable, not exposed to any outside weathering elements, that cable system will last a very long time, but, eventually it does need replacing.  That's up to the building owner to carry out, in conjunction with the ISP that they have selected to do the upgrade.  If you're connected to an MDU, its possible that there might be a cable issue, but, I'd bet that there's an issue with a tap which is a component of the MDU. 

If you're connected to a local neighbourhood node, then I'd suspect that there's an external cable and/or connector issue on the go.  A field tech can start to track that down, but, it might take a Senior tech (real Rogers tech, not a contractor tech) or possibly a maintenance crew to track down the failing external component.  

As for the VPN, as I indicated to you previously, this might be a matter of the modem misidentifying the protocol type and dumping the traffic into the modem's QOS slow traffic bin.  VPNs have always been hit and miss with the Hitron modems.  That's actually a Intel Puma chipset problem, not necessarily a Hitron modem issue.  

It would help if you knew the protocol of the VPN, and whether or not the underlying transmit protocol can be switched from TCP/IP to UDP or vice versa.  

What was your previous internet provider and what modem were you using? 

Pguy
I plan to stick around

ROGERS THROTTLES VPNS.   If anyone is reading this and you use a VPN, DO NOT SIGN UP WITH ROGERS.

The policy is probably unofficial or it's unwritten or something.

I ran several tests and it's THE SAME PATTERN *EVERY SINGLE TIME*!!!!!!!!

Disconnection - no internet - about a minute or two.   Then, any vpn connection goes down in speed to a crawl - unusable.   Various speed tests from dial up speeds to 2 mbps.    It usually returns after an hour - to so-so speed 20 mbps but then this cycle will happen again i.e. continue.    However, I am posting this particular event because the speeds haven't returned.

I turn off the vpn - and the normal speeds and profile works great!    It's like night and day.

Rogers won't do anything.   I know if I call a tech - they won't do anything.   They will blame my equipment or something.

I had to pay more with my previous ISP and I had very infrequent disconnects - maybe lasting a couple of hours or overnight (if it happened at night) - so probably several hours.   But, it only happened a few times a year and NEVER was a problem with using VPNs.   I'm so disppointed and angry.   I honestly don't know what to do.   I was saving money on an income programme. 

Pguy
I plan to stick around

"As for the VPN, as I indicated to you previously, this might be a matter of the modem misidentifying the protocol type and dumping the traffic into the modem's QOS slow traffic bin. VPNs have always been hit and miss with the Hitron modems. That's actually a Intel Puma chipset problem, not necessarily a Hitron modem issue. "

If it's the Puma chipset - then I want to use a modem with a different chipset.   I doubt Rogers can provide that, right?!?  So, let me use my own modem.

If not, I have to seriously consider moving to another ISP.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pguy  Are you sure that this is not a problem with your VPN provider or the CPU on your router maxing out, if it is acting as the VPN client?

"As for the VPN, as I indicated to you previously, this might be a matter of the modem misidentifying the protocol type and dumping the traffic into the modem's QOS slow traffic bin. VPNs have always been hit and miss with the Hitron modems. That's actually a Intel Puma chipset problem, not necessarily a Hitron modem issue. "

If it's the Puma chipset - then I want to use a modem with a different chipset.   I doubt Rogers can provide that, right?!?  So, let me use my own modem.

If not, I have to seriously consider moving to another ISP.

Didn't you say that you have Bridge Mode enabled?  If so, the modem should simply be passing traffic.  It should not be classifying or prioritizing any types of traffic.

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I'm sure it's not the VPN.   My router has a maximum throughput for vpn of 30 mbps.   This is also the profile 30/5, I believe of my internet account.   I know that 30 mbps will be difficult to achieve, consistently or at all - I usually get about 20-27 mbps (sometimes higher according to speed tests - which I am skeptical but whatever, it's working).  

2mbps or dial up speeds including instances where there is barely a connection at all or none at all at times - isn't normal.  

My router is less than two years old and was working fine previously.