cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
Helpful tip, but I think your issue is a bit different from the one many of us in this thread are experiencing.

I am certainly hardwired into the modem/router and always have been, and for me the drops happen simultaneously across devices, both ones that are plugged in and ones that are not.

Even being plugged in, I lose connection at least once and up to a whopping 26 times a day, according to my monitoring software.

Christinew1
I've been here awhile
This is a great forum. Now I realize the issue isn’t unique to me, and helps explain their indifference to resolving this. I’ve only been experiencing this for two weeks. For some of you it has been four months!
Thanks for this forum, Rogers. You showed me I need to cut my losses early and get out.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
@Christinew1

11 months here. Maddening.

Having issues is one thing but what’s more annoying is they won’t even come on here and say what’s really going on

carolynfs
I plan to stick around

Has a technician checked the wi-fi signals in the rooms where the internet is dropping?

I learned that the signal in the room where I was having the problem was really bad, even when I had pods to boost the signal.  When I changed rooms, the problem decreased.   And moving to the room with the modem eliminated the problem.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
Yeah, that's a notorious problem with Rogers modems... the WiFi range is not great and will drop out. I'm glad you got that fixed. 😊

But that's a separate issue. Most of us here are having the modem itself lose connection to the outside world.

And yeah, 13 technicians have come to my place and have tested and tried and replaced everything. This is a Rogers infrastructure issue outside all of our homes.

alfajina
I plan to stick around

I suggest using "Share a concern" and demanding OFDMA be turned off or be upgraded to ignite for free (they'll choose OFDMA).

So far no issues since 12pm, when OFDMA was disabled.

JohnGM
I plan to stick around
@doctor80 I had same issue between 8:50-9:00pm ! But since then it seems to have stabilized for me

doctor80
I plan to stick around

@alfajina It's an action that I want to perform, but I want this to come from Rogers side, so they ack and reach out the customer, instead of customer chasing Rogers Technical Support that has no clue what to do.

I hope that this performance will stay stable for you. You need more time though to know for sure. Say week of monitoring.

BTW I also see ping spikes that can just make the point stronger that these Puma 6 or 7 modems are trash:

image.png

carolynfs
I plan to stick around

Oddly enough, metal in a bathroom wall seemed to be the culprit for the computer in the room beyond the wall losing contact with the modem in a room on the other side of the bathroom.  Solutions proved to be moving the computer to the room with the modem and connecting the computer to the modem via ethernet cable.  At the same time, noticed a lot of Rogers technicians working on connections on the street, and haven't had the modem lose connection since then.   

stuhome
I plan to stick around

So I thought I would try the same PingPlotter you guys are using...  I think because it pings on a faster timer, I'm seeing far more than I had with my previous Ping app.

8 drops in 1 hour!   OFDMA is disabled. 

Although yet again my modem is unreachable on 192.168.100.1 and cannot reboot it for a while to check the signal levels which I have a feeling may now be playing in to this as they're in the 10dBmv range.

2021-02-09.png

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

I have those thin red bars on PingPlotter too, @stuhome. I'm not sure what to make of them. Yes, they indicate 100% packet loss... but for a second or two. 

Now, when those bars are all clustered together and thick (30 seconds of outage followed by 10 seconds of functioning internet followed by another 30 second outage and repeat), that's super concerning. 

I'm a bit disheartened to hear disabling OFDMA didn't do anything for you. 

doctor80
I plan to stick around

And here we go again today!!!

During zoom stand up meeting today, completely unusable !!

ROGERS!!! Take responsibility !!!

image.png

bestjsg1
I plan to stick around

I have the Broadcom based XB6 and has been running solid for just over 20 days, yesterday in the morning after putting my phone off the airplane mode, the WiFi wouldn't connect, I can see the SSID listed on the phone but just can't click to connect and this happened to all other wireless devices, ended up power cycling the modem twice and Wifi came and go a few times then I was rushing into my zoom meetings so I plugged my old R7000 router to the modem (NOT in bridge mode) and they have the same SSID names , all got connected and moved on.   At night, I unplugged the router and connection didn't drop , it means that we had been using the modem's wifi.

This morning, same thing happened, devices just can't connect to the Modem's SSIDs so I did the same thing , plugged in my router and things back to normal.

It seems like the modem needs the router to help in connecting via WiFi, which I find very strange.  And what's worse is that I had 2 x random disconnects that lasted about 2 -3 mins , the connection came back on its own without power cycling.

So, looks like the XB6 Broadcom is not necessary the solution here and it sounds like there is something else going on than just the chipset issue...

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

My wife is going to kill me if this isn't resolved soon.  I've sent in another note to OOP requesting OFDMA be disabled on my line. Hopefully it gets done / issue resolved.

Nguygie
I've been here awhile

@bestjsg1 Agree that the XB6 Broadcom Modem is not the fix.  This is the modem we have and our internet disconnects have been frequent.  We've tried the modem in both bridge mode and without.  We have had a total of 12 internet drops over the last 3 days spanning anywhere from 10 seconds - 90 minutes. So frustrating Rogers either don't seem to care or are unaware of how to fix it.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

It's absolutely disappointing to see such a lack of response, ownership and responsibility from Rogers.

We have here critical issue that affects many thousands of customers, and there is no response from Rogers on that.

Ok.

Fine. 

nitinc
I've been here awhile
I got the XB7 today. Should I be requesting XB6 instead ?

alfajina
I plan to stick around

30 hours now, no more disconnects.

Ping spikes slightly during peak hours, but nothing noticeable. Maybe a 5-15ms difference.

Ive been having this intermittent problem for months now -- had my line completely changed, hitron modem replaced, tap outside my house changed, several technician visits and after 3 months of this I've had enough.  The problem is the exact  as when it started in Nov 20.   Technicians all say there is a continual modem flapping issue, last person I spoke with at Rogers who was a level 2 manager completely denies the flapping now and starts asking me to unplug my modem!

I hate Bell so much but at this point I have no other choice but to leave the red losers.

I’m sure lots of us are going to start leaving