cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

doctor80
I plan to stick around

@all

I just was advised, that my node experiences congestion.  In another words it gets high utilization, and when it happens it caps its maximum capacity. Will require node split work, which would take time.

It's not great, but if this is indeed the root cause of these drops, eventually it will be fixed.

I'm not sure if this is the same case for you, but it'd be worth checking.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

I have another technician visit scheduled for Thursday (to "look inside again"... sigh) but I will be sure to mention the node congestion/splitting and this thread. I just wish I could get some recognition by the tech team that this is an infrastructure problem rather than continuously being told nothing is wrong or that the problem is inside my house. 

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

@doctor80

Who are you getting that information from? Who do we contact to check?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zed wrote:

I am at my wit's end.

For over 5 weeks since we installed Ignite , we have had unreliable service. Outages at least once a day, often more. 

Technicians have come out over 5 times. They have: replaced the wire from the pole, the wire into the house. multitude of monitoring, checked the installation of devices, cleaned up the old amplifiers and splitters. All but replace the modem.  

To no avail. 

Phones calls are mounting into the 10s of hours with these people who do not care enough. They keep to their textbook care and escalation protocol. 

When the internet drops we are disconnected from our offices, VPN and VOIP phones. Reset always has been to re power the modem.  Funny the modem light stays WHITE. 

This is seriously affect my business, is professionally embarrassing and raises the frustration factor worse in this COVID time. 

WHAT IS A POOR CUSOTMER TO DO?????????

(I didn't pick this post for any specific reason, and this is also a very general reply.)

Some of you have said that this must be a "widespread infrastructure issue", but I can assure you that the "Internet keeps dropping" problem does not affect everybody everywhere.  

I'm generally not a huge fan of all-in-one gateways from a technical perspective, primarily because their performance tends to be "average" in most respects.  I also use Ignite TV over my own network infrastructure, with the XB6 in Bridge Mode.  However, if I ever run into a problem, I disable bridge mode, and ensure that the problem replicates before calling into Rogers for support.  I completely eliminate any of my own equipment from the troubleshooting process.

If you are experiencing connectivity drops, it could be WiFi-related, it could be the coax Internet link, an upstream problem, or it could be a problem with the modem itself.  If you see connectivity drop out on WiFi, and can also confirm that on an Ethernet-connected computer and using the modem's internal troubleshooting tools, that puts the problem squarely in Rogers's court, regardless of whether they can see any evidence of the problem using their testing tools.

If you are seeing connections drop on WiFi but do not see a connectivity drop on Ethernet or with the modem's troubleshooting tools, that puts the problem in your court, and there may not be much that Rogers can do on their own to help.

Your modem will also report connection drops (that it sees) in its Events log.  If you are seeing critical DOCSIS event errors getting logged, it is (most likely) caused by a problem on Rogers' side.

VPN and VoIP-related issues can also be very tricky to troubleshoot, and those network applications/protocols can be unstable when the network is under extreme load.  VPN sessions can drop due to problems anywhere on the network path.

If you are using Ignite WiFi Pods, understand that your WiFi connectivity will become even more unstable and unreliable if the Pods are not installed in the correct location.

I have also isolated problems on Rogers end that they could not initially see, and documented them so that could be escalated and eventually fixed.

Even if the problem is on your side, Rogers can still assist you in troubleshooting and resolving your connectivity issues.  However, unless the root cause of your particular problem can be isolated or the scope can at least be narrowed, your connectivity issues will never get resolved.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Thanks @-G- . To add context to my issues: 

• When a drop occurs, it happens on both Ethernet and WiFi connected devices simultaneously. 
  • The frequency of the drops (2-3 per day) is the same with or without third party equipment attached.
  • I am not using a VPN.
  • Coaxial cabling to the house and the modem itself have both been replaced (the latter multiple times). 
  • Monitoring the connection on WinMTR or Ping Plotter shows massive latency spikes (to 4500) and packet loss on the second or third hop going forward. 
  • Having my connection monitored for a month, and documenting all outages in a chart with dates, times, and WinMTR or PingPlotter printouts hasn't been enough to convince the technicians arriving at my door that the issue extends beyond my house. 

I'm really at a loss of what to do next. I can't keep doing my job through USB tethering. And I can't keep being told "it is a signal issue from inside the home" (the last message I received from Rogers' Facebook team). I really don't think it is.  

@88dalejrfan  In January/February, 2020, like many other people at the time, I was seeing extreme latency spikes and packet loss that got bad enough that it affected Ignite TV.  There were no problems with my modem's signal levels, no problems with noise in my neighbourhood, and no errors of any kind in my modem's log.  No uncorrectable codeword errors were getting logged either.  The signal to my modem was totally clean and there were no issues in my house.  The problem was that Rogers could not see any issues at there end either.

It got to the point where the latency spikes on a few occasions exceeded 12,000 ms.  Yes, for 12 seconds, packets were just getting stuck in the network somewhere.

Here's what I did:

On my Linux system, I set up continuous, concurrent, simultaneous pings, in separate windows to my router, to 8.8.8.8, and to my local CMTS router.  (On Linux, I can measure a 12000ms ping response; it does not get reported as a lost ping.  The ping response to the CMTS router took longer than the corresponding ping to 8.8.8.8, also indicating signs that the processor card on my CMTS router was under extreme load.)  When there was a latency spike, I could see EXACTLY where is was (and was not) occurring, and it was only visible on the simultaneous pings to 8.8.8.8 and to the CMTS router.  It was not a problem with my WiFi or anything in my home.

I then set up a traceroute on my XB6 to 8.8.8.8 and I waited for the next latency spike to occur.  When I did not see an immediate ping response from 8.8.8.8, I clicked "Start Traceroute" on the XB6.  That caught a response of 4500 ms from the CMTS router, but every other successive hop following took < 15 ms.

I caught an intermittent problem where my local node stopped forwarding packets, from time-to-time, for several seconds at a time.  I used tools that would take my WiFi and an-home network out of the picture, and used the tools on the XB6 to confirm the problem and pinpoint exactly where it was occurring.

You also need to understand how your own troubleshooting tools work, know their strengths and limitations, and bring tools into the mix that Rogers trusts.  Only then can they submit an escalation ticket that can be acted on by Engineering.  I'm not bashing tools such as PingPlotter.  However, sometimes the simplest of tools, when used correctly, are the most effective.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

@-G- - I have done everything that you have suggested including moving to the rogers gateway only, disabling wifi, running simultaneous ping traces to 192.168.1.1 and 8.8.8.8., etc. The only thing I haven't done is enabling a traceroute from the CODA-4582 gateway interface to 8.8.8.8. which is hard to do since it only happens 2x per day.

My major problem is that Rogers suggested that I disconnect every single device except one wired computer from my gateway to see if I can replicate the problem. That's unrealistic in my opinion with a family actively using the internet during peak periods.

I  have a ticket now that starts with "CT" and is followed by 8 digits. Is that an engineering ticket? I've honestly been as patient and as scientific, data-oriented as I can with this but I'm starting to get frustrated.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Thanks for that breakdown @-G- . Interesting that you mention the TV and packet loss issue; that's how all of this began for me in February. 

Could you tell me how to determine the address of the local CMTS router? Is this the next hop in the network from my router's address? 

@88dalejrfan wrote:

Could you tell me how to determine the address of the local CMTS router? Is this the next hop in the network from my router's address? 

If your modem is in bridge mode, yes.  Otherwise it would your modem's default gateway address.

@MisterPinst wrote:

I  have a ticket now that starts with "CT" and is followed by 8 digits. Is that an engineering ticket? I've honestly been as patient and as scientific, data-oriented as I can with this but I'm starting to get frustrated.

I think that this is the only kind of ticket that can get created on our behalf.  What matters is that it gets escalated internally to the right team, and that it ultimately has information that can be acted on by whatever team is responsible for resolving it.  And, yeah... sometimes issues, such as these, can take a while to get fixed but they eventually will.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Perfect. Thank you @-G- !

tulowindow
I plan to stick around

I'm the same position as dalejr.

This happens with or without a 3rd party router and I've used bell, rogers and beanfield all on this equipment albeit from different addresses. I'm pretty satisfied that there's no problem on my end. This issue seems to be exclusive to Rogers and with numerous people reporting the exact same behavior across the province, and sometimes the country.... I think it's fair to assume that something on Rogers network is causing this.

Most people are happy to wait 2 minutes and hey look, it works again. With the internet evolving into something that people require for their profession, I think it's crazy that a problem like this can persist for so long without being addressed. Sure there's only a handful of people in here reporting this issue, but I would reckon there are way more that don't know about this forum, aren't properly reporting the issue on phone cal, chat etc or simply don't care because it comes back up in a couple minutes.

This is a serious issue and with the amount of money that I'm shelling out for this connect, it baffles me that Rogers doesn't even offer people like us some sort of compensation for this. Like I said, money is the least of my worries in this situation, I just want the connectivity drops to stop. It's happened five more times today. I probably see it a lot more than most people because I live on my computer. I work in e-commerce and I also game a lot and participate in e-sports and streaming.

Caledon has a Fiber network coming our way in the very near future and if Rogers can't get their stuff together, it's going to be an elementary decision to switch providers. When i was Downtown at Fort York & Lakeshore, the switch was the best decision I could have possibly made. I got 20 x the connect @ half the cost with zero service interruptions. Rogers is always going to have themselves a broad customer base because of what is more or less an oligopoly across the country, but as new options become available they are going to lose customers unless the pricing and service greatly improve. As a side note, I used to have television through Rogers as well and I canceled it because the receiver and hardware were absolutely horrendous. Some of the slowest & laggy hardware I've ever experienced with a television service. I'm not trying to pile on and be negative, this is just the truth.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around
I share your sentiments, @tulowindow.

I am on the computer most of the day, I teach, and I compete in eSports. After two classes in a row of being dropped, I just taught the rest of the semester through my phone. I've had to resort to tethering for any eSports event that is really important. All has been super stable on that end (with Virgin) but at a cost of another $60 a month for enough data. And forget about streaming. Not in the cards as long as this is an issue.

I really just want to get this resolved before the one year mark passes, as doing everything through tethering is challenging and expensive.

jonnay
I've been here awhile

I am also experiencing this same problem. Tech has come out and changed connectors on my house and at the box, with no noticeable change. I still experience Teams calls where I can hear people but they can't hear me, and during this time pings to anywhere but my local modem fail.

Has anyone been able to get Rogers to successfully resolve this issue?

doctor80
I plan to stick around
@MisterPinst - Corey. You shall talk to one of these guys that are modering this forum

ab45
I plan to stick around

I've scheduled my service to be cancelled 30 days out because of this issue, and will switch to Teksavvy if its not addressed by then. 

The only reason I'm not switching immediately is if you schedule the cancellation, you basically get a free month - Rogers customer support said that I  won't be charged for those last 30 days.  $0 is about what this service is worth right now!

I realise Teksavvy cable uses the same lines and there's a chance that it will have the same problem, but willing to try anything at this point.  In addition I did some searching and couldn't find any reports of people online having these problems on Teksavvy.  We have relatives that live a couple blocks away using Teksavvy cable and they are not having any of these problems.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

@ab45I think if I'm told again tomorrow by the tech that the issue is within my house, despite sharing the address of where the drops happen in the network and despite having this escalated to the head maintenance office last month, I'm out. 

My neighbours have switched to Bell Fibe and their issues are gone. 

Thanks for the tip about the 30 days' notice.

zed
I plan to stick around

I have stopped counting the tech visits and calls to ROGERS. (However they are all documented.)

Today the first smart experienced (grey beard) tech discovered that an underground cable was frayed. 

With all the technology at Rogers hand, it still takes "boots on the ground" to solve things. Remember that youngsters!

I am now waiting for uninterrupted service  Day 0 begins.

When you folks called into Rogers and were told that everything tested fine, did your support agent ever consult with (or transfer you to) a 2nd-level tech, who has access to additional stats and tools?

If not, send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps  and get them engaged.  They can also check to see whether your local node is overloaded or if there are any other issues in your area that could be impacting your service.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

@-G- , good tip.

Yes. Every visit in the second-half of the year has been either from a second-level tech or someone dispatched from the neighbourhood-level team to investigate the area more broadly.

I've even had a personal phone call from a tech manager after I wrote to head office. They sent someone out, but that visit just ended up resulting in a reinstallation of an attenuator in my office, which was taken off on the previous visit, and had been installed on the visit before that, etc. 

When you shared the information about the CMTS router in your area, who did you direct that to in order to have it acted upon? I feel like I'm gathering the right information but not sharing it with the right people. I've tried the second-level techs in person, and sharing attachments to be put on my file when discussing with the Facebook team. But nothing has really changed.

@88dalejrfan  I sent my findings and test results to @CommunityHelps  and asked if they required any additional information.  They asked a few more questions, I passed on more information, and they created a ticket on my behalf so that the issue could be investigated.  And then I waited.

I don't know what could be causing the problems affecting your service but I like working with the CommunityHelps team because I can type up my findings, attach screenshots, etc. and they can then copy this information verbatim into the ticket.  Having spent my career in this field, I know what information the engineering teams need to know and I try to pass on whatever helpful information that I can.  I also use Telephone Support for simpler issues but for more complex things, you run the risk that an inexperienced tech won't fully understand the problem or that critical information will be omitted when they rush to create a ticket in the time that they have allotted to them.

You can log into your modem to check error logs and verify that your signal levels are within range:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-or-Intermittent...

This article has other great tips but keep in mind that if your problem is intermittent, the traceroute command likely will not be helpful in pinpointing latency on the network path, and may even provide misleading information.  You should also run your ping test for one hour (3600 seconds) to get a more accurate and more useful statistics.