cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
3 times of the behavior people are describing here.

Cannot ping external ip 5 to 10 consecutive time outs. Resumes back for little bit and then does the same thing. 5 to 10 minutes before connection goes back to stable again.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
@ab45

My modem rebooted today.. After it came back up a value on my OFDM/OFDMA Overview changes. It uses to be
Channel 0, state operate
Now it is
Channel 0, state rgn3

Can you check if yours changed? No idea if any difference or not for me as it's too early to tell.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

Mine is still in Channel 0 and 'OPERATE' state with no reboot yet.

How are your speeds/latency? Same as before?

Keep us posted!

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
Checked modem page again this morning 😞 Looks like its back to Channel 0, state operate

I'm on Rogers ignite 1gpbs in a condo in a very downtown area of Toronto and the internet has been terrible for the last few months.

Browsing the web, every 10th click on a link results in a 5-10 seconds page loading, during Zoom calls my video freezes randomly for multiple seconds, etc. Note that the connection does not drop.

I can confirm this is not a specific "google" or a "netflix" network issue, since I can reproduce the problem on pretty much every website given enough time (even rogers.ca). I've tried fast.com, and after enough refreshes surely enough for a good 5 to 10 seconds my connection was rated at 50mpbs (usually it's 700+).

I'm not on wifi, my computer is connected to the rogers modem (CODA-4582) through a brand new CAT 6 ethernet cable, I can also reproduce the issue with other computers and my TV connected through WiFi.

I've been told on the phone by the rogers customer support "there's nothing wrong with your network" (because they couldn't see timeouts) and "there's nothing we can do", implying I was inventing these issues. I've had my modem replaced a few months ago and it did not help.

What can I do to solve the problem? At this point I'm considering going back to fiberstream which was giving me way less issues.

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

Happened again just now. Hadn't lost a single packet all morning and had a flawless connection. And then it started dropping like crazy (see below) between 1:18 pm and 1:22 pm.

Ping trace logs also running and all reflect the same outage gaps.

Fun times....

capture2.JPG

tulowindow
I plan to stick around

This is the EXACT issue that I have been having for months now. I'm sick and tired of it and it ruins things for me on a daily basis. I couldn't have summarized this any better than what @ab45 has done here.

I play games and get disconnected from my matches but I can still see all the players moving around and I'm the only one who's pinged out and can't move. Everyone thinks I'm lagged out, but I can still hear everyone on discord and see everything. This happens multiple times a day.

I also happen to stream my games and this is a huge problem as it takes me offline mid stream while I'm often doing something that may not seem important, but it is. It's causing massive issues for me as a gamer and streamer because I get disconnected during meaningful matches and I've had my stream interrupted on numerous occasions when I'm broadcasting matches and providing commentary. It's beyond annoying, especially because where I live, the only other option is Bell which caps out at 5 mbps which is absurdly slow.

I had a similar issue to this when I was living in Downtown Toronto in Fort York, though not nearly as annoying... I just had to reboot my modem every morning/every day I got home from work... but it became annoying enough with no resolution that I eventually switched to Beanfield Metroconnect independent symmetrical gigabit fiber and it was the best connection I've EVER had. Flawless and only $50/month. My ping was pristine everywhere and I never ever ever went offline. My speeds were gigabit up & down and it was the best experience I've ever had using the internet anywhere.

Now that I've moved out of the city, I'm stuck pigeon holed into Rogers and my connection issues are even WORSE this time. Exactly as described in the post I'm responding to. Worse yet, I'm paying more than double what i did on Beanfield. It's beyond frustrating. I don't even mind paying the absurd costs, but could you at least provide a connection that works. The entire province seems to be having the same issue.

Greetings @PizzaBear and Community!

We'd like to run some additional tests and escalate if necessary. 

Please PM us @CommunityHelps for additional support. If anyone else is experiencing this issue and they haven't yet been escalated, please feel free to PM us as well.

We are noticing that some customers who are experiencing this are the only one reporting this issue on their node. Without a pattern of complaints in a given area, an issue may look like a single fault, rather than widespread.

If your neighbours are also experiencing this issue, please encourage them to contact us. The more reports we receive, the better a case we can build.

Regards,

RogersCorey

doctor80
I plan to stick around

Today happened again. 5 minutes burst, but was kicked twice from Zoom meeting during stand up.

It's very annoying and I can see many other people experience this exact behaviorrogers.jpg.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

And another one 11:33 AM - 11:39 AM

You can imagine how "happy" we are with the service that we get, in fact when the entire family is dependent on stable connectionRogers2.jpg

zed
I plan to stick around

I am at my wit's end.

For over 5 weeks since we installed Ignite , we have had unreliable service. Outages at least once a day, often more. 

Technicians have come out over 5 times. They have: replaced the wire from the pole, the wire into the house. multitude of monitoring, checked the installation of devices, cleaned up the old amplifiers and splitters. All but replace the modem.  

To no avail. 

Phones calls are mounting into the 10s of hours with these people who do not care enough. They keep to their textbook care and escalation protocol. 

When the internet drops we are disconnected from our offices, VPN and VOIP phones. Reset always has been to re power the modem.  Funny the modem light stays WHITE. 

This is seriously affect my business, is professionally embarrassing and raises the frustration factor worse in this COVID time. 

WHAT IS A POOR CUSOTMER TO DO?????????

This is a widespread issue throughout Roger's network.  I was with Teksavvy on Rogers in New Brunswick and also had these types of micro drops - a minute or two but enough to be dropped from a call or video meeting.  Surprisingly these outages happened at roughly the same time each day ~ 1:30 pm(lasting 1-2 minutes).

Ultimately decided to move on as I knew Rogers would be unable to diagnose such an intermittent and short lived issue.

I asked around on DSLReports and was directed towards this thread, maybe Rogers Network Engineers should start there.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32838045-rCable-WAN-dhcp-issue-on-rCable-suggestions 

This is the corresponding thread that was mentioned within the Rogers community forums:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Short-DHCP-lease-from-Rogers-causing-brief-internet-d... 

yever
I plan to stick around

The random disconnection is really frustrating. I got another one yesterday morning at 11am. Then I called nearby rogers store and did a modem swap. I got the same CODA-4582 model with the same firmware version. Since then I have not had any drop yet. But I still see T3 critical error in the event log, and no T4 critical error so far. I will keep monitoring it for a few days to see if the new modem can perform any better.

GuyWiththeHat
I plan to stick around

Identical issue as ab45.

When this occurs:

• Pings to 1.1.1.1 drop.
  • UDP based connections continue.  ie.  You can still hear VOIP calls or MS-Teams meetings.  However the participants cannot hear you.
  • Modem doesn't show any issues when this occurs.

This occurs multiple times per day and the condition can last upwards of 90 seconds.  An example that occurred last night:

2/7/2020 7:01:52 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:18 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:23 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:28 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:33 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:38 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:43 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:02:48 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:03:13 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:03:18 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:03:23 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:03:28 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:04:54 PM - Request timed out.
2/7/2020 7:06:19 PM - Request timed out.

After that it was relatively stable for the evening.

Talking to support and they have suggested un-bridging my modem.  Although I've been using a home WAP for years in this configuration.

Frustrated Customer

yever
I plan to stick around

Support always tell me to un-bridge and run gateway mode, but with today's home networking setup and usage, it's not as easy as it seems. Support is just following their books, not helpful at all.

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

I have been experiencing the exact same issue described by ab45 and others in this thread since February: daily, short disconnects of 2-3 minutes. In gaming or voice calls, download remains 100% (I can hear/see others) but upload falls to zero (no one can hear/see me). Drops happen on the second or subsequent hops in the Rogers network. I'm in Mid-town Toronto. 

I've been recording my drops over the last three months: 28 outages in October, 16 in November, and 18 in the first week of December. Video calls required for work are nearly impossible; I will always drop at least once. I've resorted to mobile tethering (on a competitor) for any tasks that require a stable connection. Surprise, surprise -- no drops.

I've had 9 technician visits. I've replaced all hardware (modem three times, wiring to the house once, splitter once, and I have had attenuators installed, removed, and re-installed on multiple occasions).

I keep being told "it's a signal problem IN your house" (???)... or "we don't see anything wrong". 

Clearly this is a widespread infrastructure issue with no end in sight.

ab45
I plan to stick around

Not sure if this helps for troubleshooting, but just having the on/off on/off outbound drops happening as I type this..  Started around 1:55pm and still ongoing.

zed
I plan to stick around

We are Oak Ridges, ON.

What area are you in?

Fin5039
I plan to stick around

By doing so the support can buy them some times to show you are on an unsupported setup.  They will not further look into the problem we un-bridge the modem.

GuyWiththeHat
I plan to stick around

Newmarket ON here.

Frustrated Customer

zed
I plan to stick around

Well it small comfort that ones are experiencing the same with the same inept solutions. I believe it is an infrastructure issue with Rogers. We are in a technically impoverished area (Bell does not have Fibe, or else I be there now).  They 

cannot solve the random disconnects. The modem stays lit so even if it is a electrical  issue, the hardware should be able to compensate. What are we dealing with equipment that is worse than our 9600 baud modems of the 1990s?

If only there was a monetary penalty against Rogers .