cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Mcgronow
I plan to stick around
I switched to Bell Fibe and instantly better. No more lag spikes 🙂

Singh31
I plan to stick around

The worst part is I just switched to Ignite maybe 2 months ago, to have to completely switch now would be a headache.

I didn't have any ping spikes for a week and today I'm back to spiking above 1000ms every few minutes.

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

Well, all we can do is let everyone online know that Rogers is useless for gaming, or really anything that requires high speed.  Maybe Bell can put it into their advertising.

I certainly think it would be better to have 100GB throughput with low latency than this.  Calling it "fast" Internet is actually false advertising.  It isn't fast, it is actually slower than dial-up.

It is far more accurate to say it can carry a lot of data very slowly.

Fonarik1
I plan to stick around
Pretty clear it's a Rogers problem.
Can't even switch to Bell as all they offer in my area is 100mbps which would be a significant downgrade for me.

That's what happens when they own the market and coordinate to ensure you can't switch.

I recommend everybody flood the CCTS with complaints about this because we've yet to have Rogers acknowledge it's not 1000 different individual issues.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

buedita
I've been around

I think I reached the point where I would gladly switch to Bell and deal with slower speeds if it means I could actually start my games when I get home without having to worry if it's going to be another one of these nights full of issues.

The fact that Rogers hasn't acknowledged there's a serious issue going on has completely made me lose any faith I had on them as a customer. And no, I'm not asking any more technicians for help because at this point is obvious the problem is not at our end.

Singh31
I plan to stick around

They're basically telling me that the problem is at Blizzard's end, google's end, discord's end etc. That I should be reaching out to them. Yet, 2 days ago they said they'd submit a ticket on the issue and to cancel my tech appointment...

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

@Zyselr_ 

I've actually had a case open since the ending of January. So far, I've been told they cannot force Rogers to fix the issue with their equipment/infrastructure.

They should be following up with me Monday or Tuesday on their findings, but they've already set the expectation that nothing is going to be done. At this point it would be best to take action rather than words and switch providers rather than deal with this.. No one at any level is going to help or take action until the numbers dip and then they might launch investigation on what could be causing the issue. Might as well start relaying this information across social media and create a nightmare, maybe then it'll get some attention.

@RogersAndy

Would be nice to know where we're at with this, we already know there's an issue with the Rogers Network + TPIA. This should've been marked as Major or Critical so there should be an update if you had NOC open an IMT.

Singh31
I plan to stick around
Maybe in terms of social media outreach, perhaps alert the issue to someone like Michael Geist or someone along those lines?

Fonarik1
I plan to stick around

How likely is it that there are just so many people going for these Ignite packages - especially with competitors like Bell not being able to offer these speeds in a lot of areas - that the infrastructure just can't handle the load?

I feel like in any other scenario they would have been more forthcoming about the issue.

I didn't think it would resolve anything but if any of you have a tech come out and say stuff about old connectors/splices, last night I replaced my RG6 and F81 connectors and no change.

cjwheten
I've been here awhile
I had this done as well. I have new everything and nothing changed. I found a Redditor that has the same opinion. I honestly think their infrastructure isn't capable of the influx of customers. I'm in kitchener, and no Rogers had a new modem in stock. It happened so fast I don't think they were ready for it. Unfortunately I can't switch to bell so I guess I'm stuck waiting.

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

I think they are working on it.  My speeds are getting faster and I don't really have a problem playing games off-peak now.  I now get sub 10ms ping 80% of the time and it can go as low as 4ms.  The problem is that the spikes are still there.  Every time you send a frame request up to the gateway you still get a 3ms-10ms delay  even off-peak.   Actual line latency to the gateway server and back should be 1-2 ms at most.

The Gateway router must have such a large table of security and throttling and routing and QoS, and the rest of it, that it just takes too long to run the code.  Obviously at peak times, it is really easy for those frame requests to back up, at which point it is sometimes taking whole seconds to get to your frame request processed.

I really don't know how they even fix it conceptually.  Latency does become a problem eventually.  In the old days of networking you really had to worry about it.  In the last 20 years, it has become so much of a non issue, you don't even talk about it when considering speeds, but obviously it is becoming relevant again.  The limiting factor is no longer transmission times, but network/router processing times.

But this is not a problem for any other ISP, I have heard of, so someone at Rogers was exceptionally stupid.  It is going to take them forever to admit they have a fundamental design issue, not just a bug or a hardware problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I still don't think it's (entirely) load-related.  Most likely, they made some configuration changes and software update(s) to the network gear in their edge nodes are being bitten by bugs and other issues that didn't show up in earlier testing.

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

@-G- 

This is what I suspect as well as I've seen this happen in the past when I worked in their technical support department. A bad configuration gets loaded on to the CMTS/Head End which they can't see from our end but we can see as the end user.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

Seems to be getting worse in St. John's, NL.  Been this way now for two weeks.

Tech is coming by today and I'll update my results later.

World of Tanks is unplayable.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.693]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert microsoft.com

Tracing route to microsoft.com [104.215.148.63]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Docsis-Gateway.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [10.0.0.1]
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 174.117.206.1
3 6 ms 10 ms 14 ms 69.63.255.9
4 44 ms 45 ms 45 ms 69.63.250.197
5 57 ms 56 ms 58 ms 209.148.236.225
6 55 ms 54 ms 54 ms 9301-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com [209.148.229.229]
7 56 ms 58 ms 58 ms 209.148.235.218
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 61 ms 56 ms 56 ms ae22-0.icr02.yto30.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.237.163]
10 270 ms 269 ms 273 ms be-122-0.ibr02.yto30.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.20.179]
11 270 ms 272 ms 268 ms be-1-0.ibr02.yto20.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.7.163]
12 269 ms 267 ms 270 ms be-5-0.ibr02.ch2.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.17.147]
13 271 ms 271 ms 285 ms be-4-0.ibr02.dsm05.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.19.253]
14 1318 ms 272 ms 270 ms be-8-0.ibr02.cys04.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.18.150]
15 268 ms 269 ms 267 ms be-7-0.ibr02.mwh01.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.18.225]
16 279 ms 2179 ms 269 ms be-2-0.ibr03.mwh01.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.16.80]
17 268 ms 269 ms 275 ms be-4-0.ibr01.pdx30.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.16.67]
18 1318 ms 270 ms 269 ms be-7-0.ibr01.tyo79.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.18.166]
19 278 ms 268 ms 277 ms be-9-0.ibr01.sg2.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.18.213]
20 269 ms 269 ms 267 ms ae102-0.icr02.sg2.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.11.184]
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

jtm437
I've been here awhile

@JRandell I'm getting the same results in Mt. Pearl over the last 2 weeks (I think it started around Feb 23rd). Unfortunately, I don't think the tech will be able to help you as this problem lives deeper in the Roger's infrastructure 😞

JRandell
I plan to stick around

I'm also pretty sure it's much deeper than a modem swap, but my Xi6-A box has also crapped out on me and needs replacing.  So...why not kill two birds with one stone while he's here.  I think when I upgraded to ignite, the router/modem he installed was refurbished as it just didn't look new.  Scratches all over it and very dusty.  I'll update my results in the morning.

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

I wish I shared everyone's optimism.  I don't think it is a bug or a "bad configuration".

I think when they designed the ignite system, no one even considered latency as an issue.  They haven't done the math on it, they haven't considered it as a design issue, their test tools don't measure it, it is a metric they track for monthly reporting, and a lot of the people in charge at Rogers see it as "just a gaming issue" that isn't important.

They are going to ignore it for as long as humanly possible, because it is big enough that when it does all blow up, people are going to lose their jobs, possibly all the way up to the executive suite.

The stupid thing is they are wasting more money by ignoring the problem.  Just what they have spent on my problem alone, replacing perfectly good spare parts and paying 3rd party contractors, has probably cost more than they will ever make out of my contract for 10 years.

BGMAC
I've been here awhile

Experiencing the same issues in Ajax as everyone else has dealt with. I suspect that the introduction of Ignite has overwhelmed their existing infrastructure and the system simply can't handle it. Like many, I have been on the phone numerous times to complain and have had the tech out to the house. No problems reported. Big Surprise! Over the last several weeks we can't game without excessive ping or stream 720/1080p content without buffering. 4K … good luck! Even loading the Rogers website yesterday morning was painstakingly slow. Ridiculous to be paying for a flawed service. I would jump to another provider but other cable ISP's are experiencing similar problems using Rogers infrastructure and Bell does not offer Fibe in my area. For those who are social media savvy, please make this issue known on all the various platforms in an attempt to get Rogers to fix the problem.

xdCanuck
I plan to stick around

@Swifty00 It's what I said before. This has been going on for weeks but I feel most insulted not by the performance issues, but by their unwillingness to admit it's on their end. To anyone. When it's obviously widespread and not individual users.