cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

augmentium
I plan to stick around
@Jok9

Thanks, I've got it running, but don't know how to interpret anything. The PL% column is empty, so I'm assuming that's either a good thing or I might have to upgrade to a paid version. ?

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

PL% being empty is a good thing... you don't want packet loss.

I mainly focus on the graph at the bottom... when there are thick red bars, you have 100% packet loss (i.e., a dropped connection). The chart at the top tells you where the loss or slowdown happens in the network. 

The free version lets you monitor for the past 10 minutes; the paid version records unlimited history (I use that to just keep the program running in the background). 

yever
I plan to stick around

OFDMA is enabled again on my modem without me doing anything, no manual reboot either. Anyone else see that?

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Yes, @yever, it looks like it's been turned back on for all of us who had it disabled exactly one month ago, myself, @augmentium, and @Jok9 included

yever
I plan to stick around

@88dalejrfan 

With it enabled for the whole day, I have not experienced any drop yet. Hopefully Rogers knows what they are doing here.

Edit: On the DOCSIS Event page, I used to see a lot of T3 and T4 critical errors when I had the drops a month ago. Now the event page is empty one day after it's enabled again. Maybe that's a good sign?

ablatt
I plan to stick around

There is a 'bug' in the firmware, intentional or non-intentional, that prevents the event log from displaying when it is full after a few days.  If you reboot the modem you will see it again.

JohnGM
I plan to stick around
Mine turned back on too. But everything has been stable. They were doing significant work in the neighbourhood last week, Rogers trucks all around. Fingers crossed

doctor80
I plan to stick around

ROGERS - Can you please comment on that? OFDMA is enabled on my side as well.

1. Was it done on purpose , since you have the issue addressed and we no longer should expect drops?

2. Was it a temporary solution that had expired and needs to be re enabled again?

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

It was re-enabled for me too...my WAN restarted about 2 days ago, so I assume that's when it happened. That being said, it has been stable. 

doctor80
I plan to stick around

So far all stable. No drops

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

Connection remains stable after a few days of OFDMA being turned back on. Will know for sure after the next couple of days as we're now working and and attending Zoom meetings. 

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

I haven't "noticed" any issues using the internet since OFDMA came back on (in terms of streaming, website loading, meetings, etc.) but PingPlotter has been capturing 2-3 second instances of 100% packet loss. 

PingPlotter 2.png

This isn't the same as the "drops" before -- which would last 15-30 seconds and come in bursts of 5 or 6 drops, along with high latency spikes. 

So I'm not sure if these 2-3 second losses are normal or not.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

Well. 2-3 packets lost over span of 12 hours I believe can be considered as acceptable.

I do see them myself too. Especially if working via work VPN.

We'll know for sure if this was indeed addressed. Hopefully. 7 days of monitoring will most likely indicate if 'yes' or 'no'

msh493
I've been here awhile

That explains all of my problems:

1. Speeds drop dramatically from 150Mbps + to as low as 2Mbps

2. No one knows why and blames it on my internal devices

3. The same devices had consistent connection and speed with the previous provider. I moved for the promise of 125Mbps

4. The same devices can regain the high speeds at different times.

5. Even when connected through twisted pair the device can sit at 2-5Mbps

And Rogers has no support structure to resolve any of the issues. They can't even definitively say their signal is passing the gateway!!! 

Jok9
I plan to stick around

Im experiencing the exact same

msh493
I've been here awhile
I'm heading to the door. Rogers is not the only game in town.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

***Micro disconnections are back - but only with IPv6***

Hello, I recently re-enabled IPv6 on my Asus router.  Everything was working fine for a few days.  Now I'm getting the micro disconnections and packet loss again BUT only with IPv6.  The only issue this causes is with MS Teams (and presumably other teleconferencing apps - e.g. Zoom, Skype, etc).  Browsing, downloading, streaming (i.e. Netflix, etc) are all perfectly fine.  I'm currently running the CODA-4582 modem in bridge mode with my own Asus router behind it.  I've tried with the CODA in gateway mode (with IPv6 enabled and with the Asus router removed from my setup) but it's the same result - micro disconnections with IPv6.  This leads me to believe that there's a problem with my local CMTS but I'm not 100% sure.  The only way to fix the problem is if I disable IPv6 completely on my router.  NOTE:  I do NOT have OFDMA enabled.  See screenshots below.

Edit:  Just to add, when I run a speedtest with IPv6 enabled, speeds are fine but average pings are three times higher compared to when IPv6 is disabled (i.e. when the speedtest app is forced to use IPv4).  Pings in IPv4-only mode are typically under 10ms.  Pings with IPv6 enabled are typically close to 30ms.

IPv6:

IPv6.jpeg

IPv4:

IPv4.jpeg

OFDMA status on CODA:

OFDMA.jpeg

doctor80
I plan to stick around

I just lost internet from 1:30 PM to 1:36 PM EST. Most likely this has lead to the OFDMA setting to set to RNG3.

Rogers - Can we get some explanation what is going on? 

Why did you interrupt the service during working hours?
image.png

yever
I plan to stick around

@doctor80  I don't know what RNG3 means, but the only time I noticed it changed to RNG3 was during one tech visit when the guy was working on the junction box outside. It's definitely Rogers messing up something outside.

BTW, my connection has been stable after OFDMA re-enabled.

doctor80
I plan to stick around

@yever  I see that tonight from 2:00 AM until 2:45 AM EST there was an outage on my line.

Most likely Rogers did some work.

Anyways, I can confirm now that RNG3 is no longer present. The OFDMA setting came back to OPERATED state, as it was before that.

So far connection is stable and getting full speed.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
For those of you running the CODA bridged with your own routers and with IPv6 enabled, are you noticing any packet loss when pinging an IPv6 address (e.g. the IPv6 address for google.ca)? Curious if it’s just me or if others have the same issue.