Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

@Elochai I doubt that you will see any movement on the upload speeds for the very near future. That will require DOCSIS 3.1 upload to be enabled.  Currently I think there are two, maybe three tests ongoing, possibly less.  Rogers has not indicated when we can expect this to happen, but, its probably two to three firmware versions down the road.  Even then, when it is implemented, who knows what upload rates Rogers will allow.  It will be interesting to see how this works out.  At the end of the day, DOCSIS 3.1 upstream can support 1 to 2 Gb/s upload, Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 can support 10 Gb/s download and upload.  The low rate upload is probably what the Rogers engineering staff are working on at the present time, Full Duplex spec was only completed last year, so, I don't expect to see that rolled out anywhere for another year or two, maybe more. 

At the present time, I think that you'll only see significantly higher data rates over cable in test labs.  There might be the odd European system running higher data rates, but, I haven't been keeping an eye on this particular issue so I'm not sure of the progress on the other side of the pond. 

https://www.cablelabs.com/full-duplex-docsis/

I Plan to Stick Around

That’s really to bad, you think they would at least give you some real speeds on higher packages. 20 Mbps upload paired with a 500 Mbps download is just poor. The Gigibit is even worst at 30 Mbps, but I downgraded to the 500 Mbps package because the Gigibit plan wasn’t worth the price as most servers only pushed out about 600 Mbps that I connect too. However I run servers in Montreal, Dallas, and New York and when uploading files to a servers that can do Gigibit, you’d like to know you have a good connection speed when your paying for it that can do speeds in the 100 Mbps range at least.
I Plan to Stick Around

I was wondering if there is any particular reason why upload speeds with rogers are capped at around 30Mbps while Download speeds can get all the way to Gigabit. Is there any practical reason why this asymmetry  is so pronounced? I know that Bell Gigabit, for instance, has symmetric upload/download speeds where available.

Thanks in advance for helping me quench my curiosity!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, regarding upload on rogers network it is still on DOCSIS 3.0, which limit upload to 200 Mbps for entire neighborhood or for everyone who is sharing same cable modem termination system. In comparison downstream is running on 3.1 which allow 10 Gbps bandwidth for entire neighborhood, although they are theoretical max rates for DOCIS specs, actual bandwidth available is determined by how much is available at CMTS/MDU.

Rogers still has to implement DOCIS 3.1 in upstream direction, which will raise max upload between 1-2 Gbps, then Rogers need to add support for 3.1 Full Duplex which will allow 10 Gpbs in both direction.

Why Rogers hasn't done yet that is million dollar question?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@H0W1K2

Rogers has confirmed that they're trying to to roll out D3.1 on the upstream next year in 2019.

As for Full Duplex it will take a bit longer.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, that is great news and long overdue for them. If I am not mistaken, I heard it will be mid year of 2019, though I was not sure about it. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

There is no specific date yet for 2019, for now it's a sometime in 2019 tentative.

I've Been Around

Well, we are 3/4 of the way through 2019 and still nothing... who'd of guessed

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not going to happen without DOCSIS 3.1 upstream. Speaking of that, from what I've seen to date, there's only one ISP in North America running OFDMA, which is Service Electric.  They appear to be located in Pennsylvania.  Kind of interesting, a very small ISP has managed to do something that no large ISP has done to date.  No doubt Rogers is testing OFDMA, and for anyone who happens to be on a CMTS that is running OFDMA for test purposes, they'll be able to see that in the signal data for the Hitron CODA-4582, and in the XB6 modems.  Testing, but, no network wide rollout yet. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing that people dont understand.. thats its not just as simple as 'just add it' sort of thing.. that there is so much technical in the background, its not as simple as flipping a switch.

If you look at just about any of the regular internet services to date.. upstream was always on the lower side.  Compare cable to DSL, and DSL is often even worse 😞

There are services now which do offer higher upstream bandwidth.. but generally every one I have seen, are using FIBER direct to the house.  Overall its capability is much higher and can handle doing the higher upstream (usually is bi directional same speed).
This would ultimately be the best overall to provide to everyone.
BUT it wont happen any time soon unfortunately, in my opinion 😞

Really right now, you are seeing it only in the most highest density areas like Toronto.  As the area is so dense, and with lots of high density buildings (apartments, etc) its easier to get the feed to all those areas.  The further away, and the more spread out the population is, the much more expensive it is.  Especially when you get to areas where you would having to bury all new cables across streets with no above ground lines, etc.

Rogers generally seems to have stopped it FTTH push out.. as at least on the downstream side, they are able to get the same without having to pay to get all the fiber installed.
And as for Bell.. outside of those few select areas.. your not getting FTTH.  Your getting FTTN, same as rogers.  
But your luck if your getting that in some cases, all depending on where you are.  The more semi rural you get? sometimes next to nothing.  IE:  I can get up to 1gbps downstream speeds with Rogers.. the best Bell can do for 90% of my town? 10mbps..

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats