Ignite Internet Gigabit - Slow Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrusm
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite Internet Gigabit - Slow Speeds

I've done multiple speed tests through a wired connection and only getting about 500 mbps.

Called the tech support and these guys were pretty useless - they told me they would monitor my line and a day later I got the following reply:

Thank you for reporting a problem you were experiencing with your Rogers Internet Service on March 7, 2021. We’re unable to identify an issue at this time.

Can someone help me look into why I am not getting the speed that I am paying for?

nagasur
I Plan to Stick Around

Ask them to reset the signal and do a factory reset of your modem. I was having speed issues where I was getting 300mbps on a 1gnps connection and they sent me those messages until one agent reset the signal. Since they did that I've been getting 900mbps so that may be it
andrusm
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the suggestions. Can they do this remotely or do I have to bring the modem into the store?

nagasur
I Plan to Stick Around

Remotely via chat or message the moderators on here. They can do it as well.
doctor80
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everyone.

I have 300/20 Coda 4582 package.

Usually my speed is 450+/22 when measured.

Since maybe last 2 weeks , I observe that my speed is 215 max.

I measure connecting laptop to modem via wire. nothing changed in my setup.

Was on a call with tech support and was told that my speed is fine. They could measure 375 from their end to the modem.

Asked me to download mywifi app.

When i measured "internet to modem" it still gave me 219.

What is going on?

anyone has same experience?

nagasur
I Plan to Stick Around

Ask them to reset the signal and do factory reset of modem. That usually solves the issue. The agent telling you speed to modem is a waste of time.
doctor80
I Plan to Stick Around

@nagasur - Thank you! I just called them, and they said all is good. So I asked them to reset the modem anyways. Once it was done, the speed went up to the desired number!
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@doctor80 if your data rate drops back down over the next few days, that probably means that you have an external cable and/or connector issue.  A modem reboot will temporarily resolve the problem but it won't resolve the underlying cause.  So, if the data rate does drop, its worth requesting @RogersAndy to check your modem signal levels.  Andy has access to a better signal data display for the downstream OFDM channel which breaks that channel into sub-bands.  The techs that you chat with over the phone, and probably via facebook chat, etc, do not have access to that OFDM sub-band display.  

Since you're having problems with the downstream data rate, I'd interpret that as an issue with the OFDM channel, which points to a signal level or noise problem in the 350 to 500 Mhz range of the cable frequency range.   The downstream QAM channels run above 500 Mhz while the upstream QAM channels still run in the 5 to 42 Mhz range.

JPlouffe
I've Been Around

Since I have had the gigabit service ( January 2nd 2021) I have only seen speed above 500 on about a few  occasions. Never once above 800. Now if all I was getting was 750 to 800 from random checks I would be satisfied with that but most of the time it is only half of that. Not really quite as advertised now is it? I understand that different times of day can have an impact on that but I am pretty sure that is not the case here as I have checked at many different times throughout the day and night. I have had (including the installer) 4 different technicians here within the first few weeks of the install for a combined total of over 4 hours without any change in service. The last tech that was here said he would have to go to a higher level of tech to have them look for the problem in the panel or somewhere else in the building and I am not sure that person ever came to look or not because nothing ever changed.  I have given it a lot of time and tried many possible solutions myself from rebooting/uninstalling and reinstalling drivers/ disabling and enabling drivers/ adjusting other settings. No matter whether I am using it wired (which is 99% of the time) or through wifi my results have not changed at all.  I hate that I have to keep calling for help. I have done the phone call version of tech support and the chat type of help but even after the last chat (Steve), who said I would have help or fix within 2 business days and some text response to let me know from rogers what is happening I have heard nothing nor seen any change. And that was 9 days ago.

7:28:51 PM [Steve] It looks like this might be a problem on our end.  I will have our engineering team investigate and resolve this issue for you.  They can normally fix a problem like this within 2 business days.  I can have them text you with updates and a resolution.  Do you have a number we can text?

I am getting kind of tired of waiting anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes to chat or talk to someone about the issue not to mention that I do not feel I get what I am paying for. If my connected internet speed is being throttled to save bandwidth for the rest of the unused network or to help others in the building where I live just be honest and let me know. There is not much point in paying for gigabit if you really do not wish to provide it.

Last couple of weeks speed tests...

Tests 21

Highest speed 519.05

Average Speed 452.7

Jim

chomyn
I Plan to Stick Around

I get exactly the same. I did an file transfer with in my own intranet and was getting between 800-900mbps so it’s not my router and it’s not my network or my hardware. Actually using Internet I just barely get over 500mbps. I’m not talking about using Speedtest but it actual file transfers through Usenet it to test real world usage speeds. Has anyone actually got true gigabit?