cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 GHz connection not immediately detectable in recent CODA 4582 firmware update.

ntvai
I'm here a lot

Hi there. As the title suggests I have the suspicion that a recent firmware update to the CODA wifi/modem units has absolutely destabilized my devices from connecting to 5 GHz reliably.

In a nutshell, if any of my devices are on sleep mode for long enough, it’ll drop the connection to the 5 GHz network and won’t be able to reconnect to it right away. On the list of available networks, it’s as if I never had 5G wifi. Within several seconds (from 5-90 seconds) the network will suddenly reappear and reconnect to it with no problem. But the issue repeats the moment the device is put on sleep long enough to rest the network connection.

This is an interesting and new problem and I’m completely stumped. It doesn’t happen with the 2.4 GHz signal (all my devices can spot the 2.4G right away without fail but the 5G network is “hesitant” to be spotted). Location of the modem isn’t at fault as I haven’t moved my modem at all — it’s been in the same place as it’s always been and the recognition problem happens even if I’m literally standing in front of the router).

I’ve already tried everything I possibly could think of. I reset my network settings on Windows and iOS, clean installed my network adapters, reset my modem to factory settings countless times, ensured band steering was off, played with DFS to see if I’d get anything better with the less common channels, and ultimately went to a Rogers store to swap the modem entirely.

No dice.

Not a single intervention helped mitigate the issue and so I continue having to stare at my phone or computer like an idiot until the 5 GHz network decides to reappear each time my device has been off for long enough.

My most immediate deduction is that there must have been something changed with a recent firmware update. I can’t tell if this happened on the firmware that introduced band steering or the firmware(s) after that. But it’s an annoying problem that I’m tired of fighting and don’t want to resort to getting a 3rd party router.

Here’s the hardware stats of the CODA modem.

Hardware Version 2A
Software Version 7.1.1.32

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 5 GHz connection not immediately detectable in recent CODA 4582 firmware update.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ntvai this is a problem for @RogersIan to have a look at.  He'll see the tag and hopefully respond to you within a day or two.  

Re: 5 GHz connection not immediately detectable in recent CODA 4582 firmware update.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing a reply back soon.

ntvai
I'm here a lot

Hello, it's been about a week and no updates to this thread. This is getting really frustrating with everyone at the household working from home right now congesting the 2.4 G network.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

I too am having the same issue.  tried new network drivers and bought a new cat 6 cable, but nothing.  Hope this gets resolved soon.  Cheers!

ALaraby
I've been here awhile

Hi;

Was this issue ever resolved for you? I was losing 5G connectivity and thought it was the Rogers modem so I swapped it out only to have the same problem happening again. It is exactly as you described. The 5G disconnects whenever my device goes into sleep mode and when I "wake" the device the 5G is not in the list and I either wait the time it takes for the modem to reset it in the list again or I play with the "WiFi off and on" until it resets the list and 5G connects again.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation