cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

If you happen to be a gamer, you might want to consider staying with your current service.  Here's a rather interesting thread, comparing ICMP latency between Rogers cable service and Bell's VDSL.  

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32824164-Ping-comparison-between-Rogers-cable-and-Bell-VDSL

Compared to DOCSIS internet, VDSL ICMP latency is much lower and very consistent.  Interesting to say the least. 

I'd bet that TCP/IP and UDP results will be about the same in terms of the latency average, but, VDSL would be consistent compared to a wider DOCSIS result.  

So, thats not a reflection on Rogers, compared to Bell, its really a comparison to cable DOCSIS which in use everywhere, to VDSL, which isn't so popular these days. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:

Thanks i'll take a look. On my linksys setup right now I have that set to bridge mode so the Bell modem handles everything.

You'll probably want to keep that setup with the Ignite XB6 gateway as well.  (Just disable the "Private Wi-Fi Network" on the XB6.)  Ignite TV uses IPv6, and the IPv6 implementation on Linksys products is pretty basic.  Furthermore, according to Linksys, the Velop mesh networks also perform better in bridge mode since the parent node does not have to act as a router/firewall.

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Just a quick follow up, got the service installed today, lighting fast. Disabled wifi on the modem, plugged in my main node from my mesh setup, everything connected right away, setup the set top boxes onto my wifi, all 3 working great!

PVC
I plan to stick around

So I was on digital cable/model up until 2 hours ago when I upgraded to Ignite.  Needless to say, it's been frustrating.

My setup was the digital modem in bridge mode using a Netgear R7000 router, and then several TP-Link EAP-225 for access points, and 3 switches (due to IP cameras needing POE).

I tried removing my netgear router and using the Ignite modem, and some of the items on my switches just stopped working (e.g., MyQChamberlain connection).  It would be identified on the ignite app, I would assign it, then it just wouldn't "connect".  Called Rogers, they of course simply said "must be the switch, call the switch manufacturer since it works fine when directly connected to our modem".  Well, what does anyone think the switch manufacturer is going to say when I say "things stopped working right when I changed my rogers modem".  I digress.

Figured I would set up the Ignite modem in bridge mode and use the same set up I did before.  But after following the Netgear advice on how to setup IpV6 in this forum ..

Rogers IPv6 Settings for Netgear routers

In the ADVANCED / Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: DHCP
  • IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: Get automatically from ISP
  • LAN Setup: Auto Config

Sure enough, my router simply doesn't get an ipv6 from the Ignite modem. Have tried rebooting the router, refreshing, releasing/renewing my IP, rebooting the modem...nada.

Any help would be appreciated!

PVC
I plan to stick around

This is what I'm seeing btw:

Internet Connection Type: DHCP

Router's IPv6 Address On WAN

Not Available
LAN Setup
Router's IPv6 Address On LAN

Not Available

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

I left the Ignite modem in gateway mode and disabled its WIFI and have my mesh network, Linksys MR900 (parent node) in bridge mode (along with its 2 child nodes). All devices on my internal network via the wifi are getting a IPV6 address, and all 3 tv setop boxes are working over my wifi.

PVC
I plan to stick around

Okay, so upgraded the firmware on my R7000, and it obtained an IPv6 address.  Went through all the steps, checking the IPv6 was working at https://test-ipv6.com/.

Everything worked fine. Until I enabled Bridge mode on the rogers modem.

After that, I can still access the internet, but no longer have IPv6 per the test.ipv6.com address?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PVC when you kick the modem into Bridge mode, reboot the router as well.  

intcountzero
I plan to stick around

I don’t own ignite yet. Was hooping to confirm what a roger tech support agent said.

She mentioned that even though the XB6 modem is bridged, the mobile apps will still be able to connect and operate as usual. There is no change to service and no features are lost. Can any ignite owners confirm this?

I ask because bridging the Hitron CODA modem basically just allows it to pass through internet only. You can’t access the modem any other way.

Is this everyone’s experience using the XB6?

@intcountzero I can't speak for the XB6 modem, but the 4582 modem has a problem with the new firmware version 7.x.  The initial version was 7.1.1.30, the current version is 7.1.1.33.   

Normal you can use 192.168.100.1 as a web browser address to access the modem's login page.  Note that in Bridge mode, you can only use that address.  When the modem is in Gateway mode, you can only use 192.168.0.1 to access the login page. 

With any of the 7.x versions loaded, after a period of time, which I still haven't figured out, the modem's user interface becomes unresponsive.  I know that at or beyond 30 days of up time, the interface is not responsive.  I haven't kept track of short time spans.  There doesn't appear to be any other effect as the modem appears to run as it should, at least in Bridge mode which is what I use. 

To solve this, at least until Intel or now Maxlinear figures this out, you have to pull the power off of the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and then plug the modem back into the wall socket.  When the modem boots up, you should be able to log into the modem once again.  

Version 7.x is a new firmware version, built on a new kernel, which will support DOCSIS 3.1 upstream, when Rogers decides to enable it. 

@intcountzero wrote:

I don’t own ignite yet. Was hooping to confirm what a roger tech support agent said.

She mentioned that even though the XB6 modem is bridged, the mobile apps will still be able to connect and operate as usual. There is no change to service and no features are lost. Can any ignite owners confirm this?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  All of those fancy features that you see in Rogers commercials (e.g. being able to control WiFi, wall-to-wall WiFi, etc.) where you can manage everything through the Ignite WiFi Hub app only work when the XB6 is in gateway mode.  As soon as you enable bridge mode, you will disable WiFi, your Ignite WiFi Pods will be able to connect, the internal Internet firewall will not be active, etc.

I ask because bridging the Hitron CODA modem basically just allows it to pass through internet only.

Basically, the same is true when you put the XB6 into bridge mode as well.

You can’t access the modem any other way.

If the XB6 gateway is in bridge mode, you can still manage it and access stats using a web browser; go to http://10.0.0.1 and log in as admin.

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

odd i tried using the modem in bridge mode and wasn't able to access it at all with the 10.x.x.x IP address, I ended up having to factory reset the modem and start over LOL

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:

odd i tried using the modem in bridge mode and wasn't able to access it at all with the 10.x.x.x IP address, I ended up having to factory reset the modem and start over LOL

Did you happen to change the IPv4 address space for the Internal LAN on the XB6  before putting it into bridge mode OR were you also using the 10.0.0.0/24 address space on your own router?

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

I'm assuming the gateway will continue to receive firmware updates from Rogers while in bridge mode, just as the Hitron modems do when they're bridged.  However, will the TV boxes receive firmware updates (or any other Ignite TV related feature updates) if the gateway is bridged and the TV boxes are connected to a 3rd party router (either wirelessly or hard wired via ethernet)?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

I'm assuming the gateway will continue to receive firmware updates from Rogers while in bridge mode, just as the Hitron modems do when they're bridged.  However, will the TV boxes receive firmware updates (or any other Ignite TV related feature updates) if the gateway is bridged and the TV boxes are connected to a 3rd party router (either wirelessly or hard wired via ethernet)?

Yes, the Ignite XB6 gateway gets updates like any other cable modem, regardless of whether it is in bridge mode or in gateway mode.

The Ignite set-top boxes are purely IP devices, and they update themselves over their network connection.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Thank you!

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

So far so good with my setup, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this. When I log into the Xb6 it doesn't show any of my devices connected (my linksys is in bridge mode). I may show one device connected randomly but every other device on my wifi (which is listed ) is shown as offline, is that normal?

PVC
I plan to stick around

Okay so Rogers replaced my modem yesterday, and went back in to enable Bridge mode to use my router as I've given up on using the XB6 as a router, it's painful in so many ways.

However, once again, my router isn't getting an IPv6 address from the XB6. Have rebooted...everything..multiple times.  Also tried reloading the firmware, and nada.

Thoughts?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PVC  Did you set up IPv6 on your Netgear router as per the directions in this post?

After confirming that your router's settings are correct, please try the following steps:

- Ensure that bridge mode is enabled in your XB6 gateway

- Disconnect the ALL Ethernet cables from the XB6's LAN ports

- Unplug the power plug for your Netgear router

- Restart your XB6 by power-cycling it.

- After the XB6 comes back online and its status LED turns solid white, wait AT LEAST 10 minutes.

- After the 10 minute wait period has completed, connect the your Netgear router DIRECTLY to the XB6.  DO NOT connect any other devices to the XB6.

- Power up your Netgear router.

- Reboot your computer

Please let us know if this worked.

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around
Does it matter if the router is plugged into ETH1 or 2, or does it matter, I noticed that when the xb6 is in gateway mode, there are extra options on port 2

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:
Does it matter if the router is plugged into ETH1 or 2, or does it matter, I noticed that when the xb6 is in gateway mode, there are extra options on port 2

I don't think it matters which ETH port you use, at least not in a default configuration.  I use ETH 1.

As for "ETH 2", the XB6 gateway is not just a modem.  Comcast developed this device to be the hub for a whole suite of "connected home" service offerings.  I think the extra option for "ETH 2" is used to associate that port with a special internal VLAN, that is used to support wired and wireless devices and sensors for a Home Security service.

The XB6 has a few weird options that are not documented anywhere.  Whenever I have asked about them, the person either responds that they don't know or (if they do) says that is it used for a future service, and can't/won't provide any additional information.