Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Hey,

Glad that helped you out. Still trying to track down the root cause. There is another post by @NorthGraves who has the same issue https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Strange-recurring-issue-with-Rogers-Technicolor-CGM41...

You don't have to go so far as disconnecting everything just go to the Modem, disable bridged mode restart it and then re-enable bridged mode. I found that after about a week or so the speed drops again so I have to do the same process again.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abba77 wrote:
oh and I have IPv6 diabled on my router network. do I really need it, or only need it if connecting the tvbox Xi6 through it? Seemed to be working before with IPv6 disabled.

Ignite TV uses IPv6.  From time to time, Rogers' overnight maintenance breaks IPv6 connectivity and when that happens, I run into various glitches with Ignite TV in the morning.  e.g. slow channel changes and other weird little issues.

For a few months, I had the XB6 in bridge mode, and my Ubiquiti router connected to ETH1. Since it was bridge mode expecting ETH2 to be disabled , I wired the TV Xi6 to the UI router. 2 times in the last week, the tv would think there is no connection. Both times, the only way to get tv back was unbridge the modem and connect the TV box directly to the modem. Rebooting modem and router was not sufficient. Almost seemed like it was not authorized, though the error was no connection found.

I then randomly tried something. Bridge mode, router connected to ETH1 and TV box connected to ETH2....TV works!?! In the modem settings HARDWARE > LAN, port 1 status shows "Active Docsis WAN" and port 2 shows Active. My network seems to be working fine, albeit the slower speeds, for which I will now try the recommended start up here. My network would also be protected and receives a public IP. The Xi6 however also gets a public IP as seen via EXIT (5 secs), Down, Down, 2, and is working fine.

1. Any risk leaving the TV box like that, security wise? Rogers said they couldn't answer as this should not even be possible! 😄

2. Initially I was going to try to get to the wifi settings via EXIT (5 secs), Down, Down, 9434, but I cannot get that to work. TV just thinks I am searching for tv programming matching "wifi". Was going to try wifi as opposed to ethernet on my router to see if that was more stable, but honestly dont mind using ETH2 if its not a risk so that its traffic doesnt mess with my routers lan traffic stats.

Any feedback, comments, suggestions on my setup?

Will try the startup method and the unbrdge, reboot, then bridge method another user mentioned to try and get better speeds.

To be honest, I was cringing when I read this.  Regardless of what anybody else might tell you, I do not think that this is a good idea.  I doubt that the Comcast developers have even tried to harden their set-top box code enough for this connectivity scenario.

I do not know why users with Ubiquiti routers are seeing speed drops.  I only have a 150 Mb/s connection so I can't try to duplicate what you are seeing.  I am running OpenWrt on my router and I get better-than-advertised speeds, typically in the 190 - 200 Mb/s range.

I have also been running Ignite TV on my own network gear (with the XB6 in Bridge Mode) for almost a year and have never run into any problems with my set-top boxes losing connectivity.  Did you say that this only started happening last week?  Do you know if this coincided with a firmware update on the set-top box?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@KoN1 wrote:

You don't have to go so far as disconnecting everything just go to the Modem, disable bridged mode restart it and then re-enable bridged mode. I found that after about a week or so the speed drops again so I have to do the same process again.

Thanks. I dont think its the UI routers necessarily  since I had restarted the modem taken out of bridge mode and direct connecting a desktop, and still had slow speeds. I had not power cycled.

Will keep an eye on speed. Last time it lasted 4 days then I power cycled, ruining the speed. I have the 12 hourly auto tests so will keep an eye on the graphs. It's been good since yesterday at least.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

To be honest, I was cringing when I read this.  Regardless of what anybody else might tell you, I do not think that this is a good idea.  I doubt that the Comcast developers have even tried to harden their set-top box code enough for this connectivity scenario.

I have also been running Ignite TV on my own network gear (with the XB6 in Bridge Mode) for almost a year and have never run into any problems with my set-top boxes losing connectivity.  Did you say that this only started happening last week?  Do you know if this coincided with a firmware update on the set-top box?

The disconnects happened twice after I got a replacement modem for the speed issue. It was really strange that restarting all devices wouldnt let it reconnect again.

I did have the concern of connecting it directly and leaving the Xi6 unprotected, but also wondered if that would make the rest of my house vulnerable. If it was attacked, could they get into the modem, and then into the rest of my network.

Now that speed issue is solved, I can wire it back into my router and enable IPv6. Will need to read into it a little more as I have no knowledge of IPv6 setup. I wish I could get into the wifi settings of it though. Tried the 9434 many times, but only gave matching programming.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For IPv6, I can setup the WAN DHCPv6 side with 64 delegation, but not sure what to use for the LAN side. Here is the settings window:

https://i.imgur.com/aSXn00W.jpg 

From the other samples posted in Step 1, seem I just need check the Enable IPv6 Router Advertisement, leave the rest alone?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abba77 wrote:

Thanks. I dont think its the UI routers necessarily  since I had restarted the modem taken out of bridge mode and direct connecting a desktop, and still had slow speeds. I had not power cycled.

Will keep an eye on speed. Last time it lasted 4 days then I power cycled, ruining the speed. I have the 12 hourly auto tests so will keep an eye on the graphs. It's been good since yesterday at least.

The XB6 definitely has numerous quirks but so far, I have only seen users with Ubiquiti routers reporting this issue.

I just had a look at the UDM Data Sheet and noticed that is has a feature that they call "Automatic QoS".  Is it possible that this could be kicking in and applying a QoS traffic policy that rate-limits connections to a specific device or traffic flows for a particular application?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abba77 wrote:

The disconnects happened twice after I got a replacement modem for the speed issue. It was really strange that restarting all devices wouldnt let it reconnect again.

I did have the concern of connecting it directly and leaving the Xi6 unprotected, but also wondered if that would make the rest of my house vulnerable. If it was attacked, could they get into the modem, and then into the rest of my network.

I don't think that this could be an attack vector into your internal network but I also don't know what private information is stored in the Xi6 either.  I would also be worried about hackers finding some way to use the Xi6 as a proxy for launching attacks on others, making it look like their connections were coming from you.

Now that speed issue is solved, I can wire it back into my router and enable IPv6. Will need to read into it a little more as I have no knowledge of IPv6 setup. I wish I could get into the wifi settings of it though. Tried the 9434 many times, but only gave matching programming.

Are you pressing and holding the "Exit" button on the remote for 3 seconds, then keying in "Down Down 9-4-3-4"?

If the UDM supports WPS, you can also connect the Xi6 to Wi-Fi that way as well.  Press the button on the bottom of set-top box; there's a small depression on the bottom/front, under the status LED.

I don't know why the disconnects would be occurring unless a firmware update changed something, such as adding additional security checks to prevent the Xi6 from being used in another location.  I read somewhere that Rogers has a firewall rule on their XB6 gateway that allows inbound connections on port 56982 so that their back-end tools can communicate with the Xi6 using TR-069 / CWMP.  However, I'm not aware of anything breaking if that rule is not in place and that connection gets blocked.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abba77 wrote:

For IPv6, I can setup the WAN DHCPv6 side with 64 delegation, but not sure what to use for the LAN side. Here is the settings window:

https://i.imgur.com/aSXn00W.jpg 

From the other samples posted in Step 1, seem I just need check the Enable IPv6 Router Advertisement, leave the rest alone?

Yes, you will need to enable "IPv6 Router Advertisement" on the UDM so that IPv6 devices will use it as their gateway.

I don't have a Ubiquiti router so I don't know what the configuration options are on the LAN side.  Presumably, it will have sensible defaults for the case where you have a single subnet on your internal network.  If you have multiple internal subnets, you will need to configure how your delegated IPv6 address space gets allocated across those subnets.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies. Will group mine all in this post:

The Automatic QoS is only enabled by default if connection speeds are under 300Mbps. I set mine up as 999Mbps/30Mbps. I specifially checked the option was disabled as well. Speed tests were done with 2 separate wired desktops and the router itself. I seem to be good here now.

I will connect the Xi6 to the router after enabling IPv6 and see how it goes. I agree, I would rather not leave any IoT unprotected. I was going to isolate these to their own VLANS, but im not quite there yet.

Yes, holding EXIT for 3 seconds (seen 5 online as well), down, down, 9-4-3-4 gets me nowhere. As I said, hitting 2 or 3 gets me to the information page. 4 gets me to diagnostics, but i can never get to Wifi settings page. Not sure if the UDM has WPS, but will check. I would prefer wired anyway since I have a spare port for now, but would be nice to do it via WiFi should I need that last port for something else.

I wondered if any ports needed to be forwarded to the Xi6, but you stating 56982 is the first I have heard off.

Single subnet on my network makes it easier. Will enable advertisement and go from there. Seems simple enough here: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005868927-UniFi-USG-UDM-Addressing-How-to-Implement-IPv6-wi...

Thanks again for your time helping us.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abba77 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Will group mine all in this post:

My pleasure!

I will connect the Xi6 to the router after enabling IPv6 and see how it goes. I agree, I would rather not leave any IoT unprotected. I was going to isolate these to their own VLANS, but im not quite there yet.

I think the risk from having the STB on the same subnet as your other devices is fairly low, and my config also allows me to isolate them as well.  That said, I think that it is best to duplicate the Rogers-supported configuration first and make sure that everything is working correctly with 3rd-party gear before switching to a fancier/more secure configuration.

Yes, holding EXIT for 3 seconds (seen 5 online as well), down, down, 9-4-3-4 gets me nowhere. As I said, hitting 2 or 3 gets me to the information page. 4 gets me to diagnostics, but i can never get to Wifi settings page. Not sure if the UDM has WPS, but will check. I would prefer wired anyway since I have a spare port for now, but would be nice to do it via WiFi should I need that last port for something else.

Here's another tip:  I also use enterprise-grade Wi-Fi APs so I was able to configure a separate "tv" SSID, which I use only for the set-top boxes.  I duplicate the same SSID/passphrase in the XB6.

If I ever should need tech support from Rogers, this setup also allows me revert back to a supported configuration very quickly.  I disable (or rename) the "tv" SSID on my APs then put the XB6 back into gateway mode.  When I reboot the STBs, they connect to the XB6.  This config also allows me to connect an STB through WPS on the XB6. and it allows a new out-of-the-box replacement STB to autoconnect to Wi-Fi.  When I am done, I re-enable bridge mode on the XB6, re-enable the "tv" SSID on my APs, reboot the STBs, and I'm back into my usual configuration.

My APs also allow me to assign the "tv" SSID to a separate VLAN.

I don't know why long-press-Exit, Down, Down, 9-4-3-4 does not work for you.  I have miskeyed it countless times myself and now key in 9434 more deliberately as "WIFI"

I wondered if any ports needed to be forwarded to the Xi6, but you stating 56982 is the first I have heard off.

It's not absolutely necessary.  I don't have that rule in place.   Ignite TV works perfectly fine with a very basic configuration.  That is one of the things that I really like about it.

If I ever need tech support from Rogers, I revert back to a supported configuration and that allows them to run whatever tests that they need to run.

If my STBs should ever start going offline as well, I'll troubleshoot and report back here.

Single subnet on my network makes it easier. Will enable advertisement and go from there. Seems simple enough here: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005868927-UniFi-USG-UDM-Addressing-How-to-Implement-IPv6-wi...

Looks like you have everything that you need to get this working, all in one nice package.  For completeness, you would also probably want to implement additional firewall rules to block access to your home networks from less-trusted segments.

Thanks again for your time helping us.

No problem!  Sounds like you are well on you way to getting things into a good configuration.  Good luck!