cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have never tried changing the IP addressing for the Local LAN interface on the XB6 gateway and THEN putting it into bridge mode.  It's logical that if I changed the IP address to 192.168.50.1 that this would continue to stick in bridge mode, as other settings do.

I have always been careful not to configure overlapping/conflicting IP address spaces on any devices.  I have tested setups such as:

WiFi mesh -- Router -- XB6

Avoiding address space conflicts allows me to put any of those devices into either "gateway mode" or "bridge mode" without anything breaking.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around
Actually, I changed DHCP settings on XB6 when I switched to Gateway mode and made Orbi router Access Point to keep the uniformity of my IP range in my house because I have some devices with static IP. But when I changed back to Bridge Mode, I did not change the IP range in the XB6 thinking it will not matter because it is going to be in bridge mode.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155  Thanks for posting your experience here, even if it was a pain to fix.  We're all exploring new (and totally unsupported) territory in this thread and documenting our findings, and lessons learned, as we go along.

I hope that your network is back up and working normally again.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around
You are very welcome.
I did RESET on XB6 but it did not do anything.
So, I connected my laptop with ethernet cable to XB6 modem/router. Finally, I figured out that internal IP on XB6 in Bridge mode would be the same as I set it up earlier in Gateway Mode. Yes, I was right. I was able to connect with 192.168.50.1 IP. But I could not change this IP because it is in Bridge Mode. So I left it as it is because now I know the IP to connect to it.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around

I would like to add one more thing here. XB6  hard reset does not reset admin password. I think reset does not do anything except a reboot of the device. It did not change any settings.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

I would like to add one more thing here. XB6  hard reset does not reset admin password. I think reset does not do anything except a reboot of the device. It did not change any settings.

Did you press the reset button using a paper clip and keep it depressed, and release it only when the white status LED on top goes out, the internal fan turn off and the modem reboots?  I have only had to do it on a few occasions but every time, this procedure has performed a complete and total reset of the unit.

A few other people have also reported that the reset procedure did not work for them, then reported success after they realized that they had not been holding the reset button down long enough and had released it too soon.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around
I pressed the reset until the light turned off on the modem. So not sure if this was enough or not.

RCS99
I've been here awhile

Hello.  Has anyone tried using the Ignite service in a hybrid form?  By that I mean, the modem / router provided by Rogers is in gateway mode and all Rogers equipment stays on this router.  Then, adding an additional router / gateway to all access for your own equipment without bridge mode.  I'm looking at the Ignite service coming from digital cable and separate internet.  I like that the services are separate and my personal environment is protected by my Asus routers IDS.  On the surface, combing all my access in a Rogers environment makes me nervous from a security perspective.  Does anyone see issues with this kind of a set up?  Thank-you.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RCS99 wrote:

Hello.

Hi!  Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Has anyone tried using the Ignite service in a hybrid form?  By that I mean, the modem / router provided by Rogers is in gateway mode and all Rogers equipment stays on this router.  Then, adding an additional router / gateway to all access for your own equipment without bridge mode.  I'm looking at the Ignite service coming from digital cable and separate internet.

A number of people here have.  For example, it was discussed in another Ignite TV thread and you might be interested in reading that we had here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Your proposed configuration works for many people but it all depends on how you use the Internet.  You will be in a "double-NAT" configuration, with two network firewalls running back-to-back.  You will also run into issues with IPv6 connectivity.  This won't be a problem if you are only using the Internet for email, simple web browsing, streaming video, etc. but could be problematic for online gaming and with some video conferencing/chatting applications.

On the surface, combing all my access in a Rogers environment makes me nervous from a security perspective.

I understand where you are coming from.  However, even when running with a default Rogers configuration, the risk exposure for the average person is pretty low.  Rogers' goal is to provide safe Internet connectivity for their customers, that is easy for their customers to manage and easy for Rogers to support.  If you want to run with a configuration that gives you more control, you have that option as well... but this can also complicate things from a support perspective.

RCS99
I've been here awhile

Hi.  Thank you very much.

goju
I've been here awhile

There are a lot of good information in this thread. Can you tell me if the home phone will work connected to the modem gateway in "bridge" mode?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@goju wrote:

There are a lot of good information in this thread. Can you tell me if the home phone will work connected to the modem gateway in "bridge" mode?

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

The XB6 does not have a "true" bridge mode; there is no way to disable all gateway functionality and turn it into a simple modem.  Various services on the XB6 continue to run even when bridge mode is enabled, and this includes the Home Phone service.  So, Home Phone works whether the XB6 is in bridge mode or gateway mode.

goju
I've been here awhile

Thanks G for the quick clarification😉 I was going to use my Asus 68U in AP mode but since the home phone will work regardless then I may bridge the modem gateway instead. Getting the ignite bundle later today.

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Thank you OP for providing this information, I finally pulled the plug and am converting to Ignite services this Friday (I hope I didn't make a mistake).  I will be using your instruction to install it on a UDM Pro configuration, I will post back any specific Ubiquiti information others might find helpful.  I will be going hard wired on the cable boxes instead of wireless, wish this modem had a true 'bridge mode' though or if Rogers would simply provide a regular modem for folks who have their own networking infrastructure already (I know it would be hard to support this method, but at least have the option with limited support?).

Going to read this thread at least one more time before Friday's installation, appreciate the effort put into this thread overall.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Feejai wrote:

Thank you OP for providing this information, I finally pulled the plug and am converting to Ignite services this Friday (I hope I didn't make a mistake).  I will be using your instruction to install it on a UDM Pro configuration, I will post back any specific Ubiquiti information others might find helpful.  I will be going hard wired on the cable boxes instead of wireless.

Ignite TV has been working very well for me.  I hope that you will also enjoy your Ignite TV service and that your installation on Friday will go smoothly.

I think that it's great that we run Ignite TV on our own network gear.  That said, it is still CRITICALLY important that we perform the initial installation using only Rogers hardware in a simple 100% supported configuration, and that we confirm that everything works before the visiting Rogers installation tech leaves.

You can then transition to your equipment and enable "bridge mode" on the XB6.  However, you will want to have a plan in place so you can fall back to a Rogers-supportable config very quickly, should you ever require support.

In my Rogers-supported configuration, I configure a Wi-Fi SSID on the XB6 that is only used for Ignite TV.  The Ignite set-top boxes will discover and automatically join that Wi-Fi network as soon as you power them up.

I also have business-grade Wi-Fi Access Points that allow me to configure multiple SSIDs, so in addition to my private Wi-Fi network, I configure a secondary SSID that duplicates the Wi-Fi setup that I put into the XB6.  This gives me the flexibility to run Ignite TV over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.  The Ignite set-top boxes also seem to be "happier" when they have an active Wi-Fi connection, even if they are wired and not using Wi-Fi.

My current setup also allows me to fall back to a Rogers-supported configuration VERY easily.  All that I need to do is disable the "Ignite TV" SSID on my AP, disable "bridge mode" on the XB6 (which then activates the Ignite TV Wi-Fi network on the XB6) and reboot the Ignite set-top boxes.  Other parts of my network are not disturbed and Rogers can troubleshoot a pure "Ignite TV" configuration.

wish this modem had a true 'bridge mode' though or if Rogers would simply provide a regular modem for folks who have their own networking infrastructure already (I know it would be hard to support this method, but at least have the option with limited support?).

There are often times when I wish that we could use a Technicolor TC4400 modem.  However, a HUGE advantage to having the XB6 gateway is that if I were to ever run into a problem with my service, in 30 seconds, I can switch to a fully-supported simple/default configuration.  I can then call into tech support and we can immediately start discussing the problem, and my network setup does not even enter into the discussion.  When we are done testing/troubleshooting, I can easily revert back to my day-to-day configuration.

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Ok well, I can report very good news, I followed your instructions and everything is working just fine.  Saying this however, because the cable boxes are hard wired to my network they are using IPV4 connections.  Was a quick and simple modem replacement and now kicking myself why I waited so long.

The TV is SOOOOO much better than the analog version, no more hot, noisy PVR, the new menu guide is excellent as well as many of the other features.  Even pairing the new remote with the TV is so much easier.  Haven't gone through all the new features yet, lots of time to do that.

Internet speed wise, I am getting as good or a bit better speeds, no issues with the Ubiquiti UDM Pro to report.  Thinking I might VLAN the cable boxes, but honestly don't see the need.  Seems like I was worried about nothing, and glad I came across this post which gave me the confidence to switch over.

OP thanks once again for taking the time to post your instructions!

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Greetings All,

Coming back to Rogers Internet after being with Bell Fibe for a number of years and recently having nothing but problems with them. Getting my Ignite service installed later in the week, 500 mbps service. Currently I have a Linksys MR900 router and two Velop nodes for wifi in my house as the bell modem in the basement can't reach anywhere. When I get my Ignite modem will I have any issues continuing to use my Linksys setup and not using the WIFI that is built into the Rogers Modem? I will have two setup TV boxes coming as well that I can connect via ethernet as I already have my two Bell TV boxes connected on ethernet.

@Fookaroo have a read thru the following thread, which is similar to what your're going to do:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ignite-TV-Home-Phone-amp-Own-Router-Questions/m-p/466...

Short answer, yes, you can use your own router.  Long answer, that configuration is not supported by Rogers, so, if you run into any problems, you would have to be able to revert to the standard configuration for troubleshooting purposes with Rogers techs.  That means that the XB6 modem has to run in Gateway mode for troubleshooting.  

The Xi6-A and Xi6-T set top boxes only have an ethernet port, HDMI out, and power cable port.  You can connect the set top boxes via ethernet or wifi, but, if you connect via ethernet, the set top boxes insist on connecting with a wifi network as well.  If the wifi connection to the set box location is less than adequate, that will cause problems, regardless of whether the set top box is running via ethernet or wifi.  

Ok, have a read thru that thread first.  There are other threads in the forum that deal with the Ignite TV system, with a great deal of info in those threads. 

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Thanks i'll take a look. On my linksys setup right now I have that set to bridge mode so the Bell modem handles everything.

Are you on DSL/VDSL Fibe or fibre Fibe?  Just curious.

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around
I have the DSL/VDSL service.