cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Ignite TV entertainment box connectivity

Sigildark1
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I've upgraded to Ignite TV today /w 1.5 Gb internet and will be receiving my new equipment tomorrow.

My house is pre-wired with CAT5E ethernet and all those cables exit in a cabinet in the basement. 

My current config is 1Gb with a CODA-4582U, deployed in the basement, wifi turned off with all ethernet ports connected and in use. On the main floor I have deployed a RT-AX86U to provision Wi-fi 6 across the home running in an access port configuration. Great coverage across the home.

When I placed the order earlier today, I was told I would be getting an XB6. I then realized that I would be losing two ethernet ports as result which was a concern. The XB6 also has a top speed of 1 Gb which doesn't take full advantage of my new internet package. A subsequent call get me transferred to tech support and an XB7 will be shipped to me tomorrow.

The plan is to position the XB7 in the basement where the CODA-4582U was, disable wifi on the XB7, leverage the 4 ethernet connections and continue to provision my home's wifi via the RT-AX86U.  WIFI coverage via the XB7 in the basement will not be good enough based on the location of the Ignite TV Entertainment boxes.

The question and the last piece of the puzzle that needs to fall in place is as follows: Can I connect the Ignite TV Entertainment boxes to my wireless access point while keeping the XB7 in gateway mode?  Any problems with my configuration? Any specific instructions I should follow?

Thank you!

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Questions about Ignite TV entertainment box connectivity

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sigildark1 wrote:

The question and the last piece of the puzzle that needs to fall in place is as follows: Can I connect the Ignite TV Entertainment boxes to my wireless access point while keeping the XB7 in gateway mode?  Any problems with my configuration? Any specific instructions I should follow?

Your proposed configuration should work fine.

One thing to keep in mind: you might run into some weird issues if try to connect your set-top boxes to a different Wi-Fi network name than the one that is configured in your Ignite gateway.  So... whatever network you plan to connect the STBs to, duplicate the same network name and passphrase when you perform the initial configuration on the Ignite gateway, before you disable disable Wi-Fi on your XB7.

Another option would be to configure your set-top boxes to connect to their own SSID. Perform a default installation on the XB7, and configure its Wi-Fi network with the network name and passphrase that you will use for your Ignite STBs. To install the set-top boxes, simply power them up and they should discover the Wi-Fi network that you just configured and auto-connect. Next, it you have a computer with a 2.5 GigE connection, connect it directly to Ethernet Port 4 on the XB7 (the one with the red line next to it) and perform a speed test to confirm that you can attain at least 1.5 Gb/s of throughput.

Next, you will want to have all of your set-top boxes connect to your RT-AX86U. To do this, first, power off all of your Ignite STBs. Next, disable Wi-Fi on the XB7. Connect your RT-AX86U’s 2.5GigE WAN port to Ethernet Port 4 on the XB7. Configure the “Ignite Wi-Fi SSID” and passphrase as a secondary SSID on your ASUS router. Once you confirm that you have good Internet connectivity, power up your Ignite set-top boxes and they should connect through your ASUS router.

In this configuration, you also have the option of using your RT-AX86U as the router/firewall for your home network and running the XB7 in Bridge Mode. If you should ever require Ignite TV technical support from Rogers, simply disable the “Ignite” SSIDs on your ASUS router, disable Bridge Mode on the XB7, then run with the Ignite set-top boxes temporarily connected to the Ignite Gateway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sigildark1 wrote:

Your proposed configuration should work fine.

One thing to keep in mind: you might run into some weird issues if try to connect your set-top boxes to a different Wi-Fi network name than the one that is configured in your Ignite gateway.  So... whatever network you plan to connect the STBs to, duplicate the same network name and passphrase when you perform the initial configuration on the Ignite gateway, before you disable disable Wi-Fi on your XB7.

Another option would be to configure your set-top boxes to connect to their own SSID. Perform a default installation on the XB7, and configure its Wi-Fi network with the network name and passphrase that you will use for your Ignite STBs. To install the set-top boxes, simply power them up and they should discover the Wi-Fi network that you just configured and auto-connect. Next, it you have a computer with a 2.5 GigE connection, connect it directly to Ethernet Port 4 on the XB7 (the one with the red line next to it) and perform a speed test to confirm that you can attain at least 1.5 Gb/s of throughput.

Next, you will want to have all of your set-top boxes connect to your RT-AX86U. To do this, first, power off all of your Ignite STBs. Next, disable Wi-Fi on the XB7. Connect your RT-AX86U’s 2.5GigE WAN port to Ethernet Port 4 on the XB7. Configure the “Ignite Wi-Fi SSID” and passphrase as a secondary SSID on your ASUS router. Once you confirm that you have good Internet connectivity, power up your Ignite set-top boxes and they should connect through your ASUS router.

In this configuration, you also have the option of using your RT-AX86U as the router/firewall for your home network and running the XB7 in Bridge Mode. If you should ever require Ignite TV technical support from Rogers, simply disable the “Ignite” SSIDs on your ASUS router, disable Bridge Mode on the XB7, then run with the Ignite set-top boxes temporarily connected to the Ignite Gateway.

Sigildark1
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the quick response, happy to hear this. Look forward to implementing it! Have a great day.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 in conversation