cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 cable Modem replacement

MAS47
I've been here awhile

I was working with my Net Gear vendor trouble shooting our connection to the Rogers cable Modem.  We upgrade to 1.5GB this year and since then we have added additional devices.  However we are seeing great connection speed from the cable modem to the Internet.  But even after factory resetting the two night hawk routers speed from the cable modem to the wifi router is only 300mbs - 500mbs.  I'm using CAT6 cable.  The vendor said he thinks it's the cable modem as it's a Gen 1 XB6 wifi 5 device and I'm using WiFi 6.  I have new router coming in next week that will be WiFi 6E but not sure that will do much if the cable modem is my choke point.  How do I get the cable modem upgraded to match my routers speed.  I will be adding another 6-10 wifi devices to the network and every time I add a new device the bandwidth saturates even more.

**Labels Updated**

7 REPLIES 7

Re: XB6 cable Modem replacement

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MAS47 Here are my comments.

1. The XB6 modem is limited to 1 Gbps, therefore you will get about 940 Mbps speed when connected via Ethernet to one of the ports, assuming your equipment and software and firmware is capable of those speeds.

2. If you're on a 1.5 Gbps you need the XB7 or XB8 modem to get 1.5.  See the following two recent posts on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Not-getting-the-speeds-I-was-promised/m-p/522018/high...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

3. You can use the following test with the Home Connect app to test your speeds at the modem with Rogers default configuration (unbridged):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/New-internet-packages/m-p/530957/highlight/tru...

4. You also need to perform any tests with the Gateway in the default configuration - unbridged, without any of your equipment involved, other than say a computer connected directly via Ethernet.

5. We see hundreds of similar posts from people on this forum and the issue is almost always with the customer equipment, software or firmware, not with the Rogers gateway.  The fact that the gateway is WiFi 5 has no effect on the Ethernet connection and testing your equipment to your routers from your equipment.

6. Since you're on a 1.5 Gbps plan, you should be able to ask for an XB7 or XB8 modem (as long as you were not with Fido), but you really should sort out the reason for your slow speeds first since the XB6 is capable of 1.0 Gbps (940 Mbps after overhead)

MAS47
I've been here awhile
Well playing around with several routers and found the following. No matter what router I plug into Ethernet port 1, the max speed I can get is 506Mbs. But on Ethernet port 2 I can get a respectable 940Mbs which is capacity on a 1gbs port. So using Ethernet port 2 over port 1. Still not my optimal of 1.44Mbs so will call to upgrade my cable modem. Appreciate your input.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MAS47 That's weird.  Does Ethernet Port 1 have a bent or broken pin?

Regardless, if you have the 1.5 Gig service, then definitely get your gateway upgraded to either an XB7 or XB8.  Comcast's device specs lists a maximum data throughput of only 1 Gbps for the XB6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MAS47 Thank you for the feedback and for confirming that you're getting the maximum speed out of the XB6 (on at least one port).  Once you get an XB7 or 8, you should be at or above 1.5 Gbps.

In the meantime, it's possible to test for 1.5 Gbps by doing several speedtests at the same time and adding up the results - 940 Mbps for your computer and say 500 Mbps for a recent phone on WiFi, etc.

The last line of the last two posts above should read Gbps, not Mbps...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

In the meantime, it's possible to test for 1.5 Gbps by doing several speedtests at the same time and adding up the results - 940 Mbps for your computer and say 500 Mbps for a recent phone on WiFi, etc.

I don't know how well that will work out.  The XB6 "officially" supports a maximum data throughput of only 1 Gbps.  You might get more (and probably will) but I don't know if its internal electronics is capable of attaining 1.5 Gbps.

MAS47
I've been here awhile
FYI I had the XB6 swapped out for an XB8. I am getting 1.96Gbs from the cable modem out to the world and internally from my router to the cable modem speed is measured at 1.81Gbs. Things are working much better now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MAS47 : Thank you for the feedback.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation