cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Modem?

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

I just upgraded to the pro level internet with 2 gig speeds.  Not sure it will make any difference for me as the best I can ever get here is around 500 mb/s.  I still have the gen 2 modem.  I am having daily issues with internet dropouts, and I wondered with the new package,  if I should move to the gen 3 modem?  What improvements will it offer?

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Which Modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Grwebster wrote:

I just upgraded to the pro level internet with 2 gig speeds.  Not sure it will make any difference for me as the best I can ever get here is around 500 mb/s.  I still have the gen 2 modem.  I am having daily issues with internet dropouts, and I wondered with the new package,  if I should move to the gen 3 modem?  What improvements will it offer?

If you are getting slow Internet speeds and constant dropouts, I don't think that switching to the XB8 will make much of a difference.  The XB7 and XB8 are mostly the same from a cable modem perspective, and I don't think that Rogers' DOCSIS network infrastructure (in its current form) is able to support any of the enhancements that the XB8 does offer.

As for Wi-Fi, the Gen 3 (XB8) gateway supports Wi-Fi 6E; the XB7 supports Wi-Fi 6.  Wi-Fi 6E provides an additional Wi-Fi 160 MHz-wide channel in the 6 GHz range, and I have attained 1.8 Gbps transfer speeds over this link (albeit at VERY close range to the gateway) with my 1.5 Gigabit service.  However, this is only useful to you if you have Wi-Fi 6E or Wi-Fi 7 devices that can connect on this 6GHz channel.  The XB8 also has a slightly different Wi-Fi antenna architecture, which may improve Wi-Fi coverage for some, slightly, although it is unlikely that you will see a huge difference.

From a software features perspective, the XB7 and XB8 gateways are almost identical.

If you have Wi-Fi 6E-capable network devices, then definitely try to get yourself upgraded to the XB8.  However, if you run your home network on own network gear and use your Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode, there is not really any practical benefit to upgrading to the XB8.

8markn9
I've been around

can you adjust power levels on the wifi signal?

Good morning afternoon @8markn9!

We can provide WiFi Pods to extend the reach of your WiFi signal if you find that you have any dead zones in your home.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation