What are good signal levels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: What are good signal levels

Thanks for the info. will clean the outdoor connector and check levels again.I
I Plan to Stick Around

Power Level Check; 500d, 20up

How are my power levels looking for 500 download and 20 upload on the CGN3ACSMR in Scarborough.  The tech who installed my service mentioned something about the green box in the neighbours lawn needing some "things"? and that he would infrom Rogers about it.  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.58.12 PM.png

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Where in Scarborough are you located? Major Intersection?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

bobbydigital wrote:

Power Level Check; 500d, 20up

How are my power levels looking for 500 download and 20 upload on the CGN3ACSMR in Scarborough.  The tech who installed my service mentioned something about the green box in the neighbours lawn needing some "things"? and that he would infrom Rogers about it.  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.58.12 PM.png

WHOA.. yeah that could cause a big chunk of problems.

Optimaly, you should be close to 0dbm  with a 'tollerance' of +/- 10.

Your WAY low.. and could likely be a cause of the problem.

Now, now knowing exactly what the tech did..
If the signal at the street is OK.. than its something between the box and your house that needs to be fixed.
But if its a signal at the BOX.. then its something that needs to be escalated to MAINTENANCE to look at.

I Plan to Stick Around

Really this sucks then! I am located in the M1V area code of North Scarborough. So my signal levels are way low?  The tech just mentioned casually that the green box buried in the neighbours lawn needs some "work" and that he'll mention it to Rogers.  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 1.50.16 PM.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know there was a major outage a week ago? In Scarborough.. 
And it looks like they are doing the IPv6 conversions there now, etc..

BUt all that being done, shouldnt effect the signal in general.. I would hope.

its more than just a MENTION that should be done.

I would call back in and complain that your signal levels are real low.. and have them send out another tech.
That tech should check all the levels at each point.  Start at the box.. if ok, move to where it connects outside the house.. etc.. till the find the issue..
IF its at the street.. its more than a MENTION that needs to be done, it needs to be escalated.

I Plan to Stick Around

So my only options are to call Rogers techincal support line and say hey my modem signal level is too low?  On our street we have had a Rogers cable line travel across the street from a box through some trees and hanging mid air for years with no burying underground.  

The box my home uses on my street is green but buried in the ground in the neighbours lawn.  I guess it's super old? Going to be honest my speeds seem fine but if I can get clearer cable tv picture quailty and even faster intternet with no evening slowdowns I'll call Rogers everyday!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on your modem.  Assuming that they fail (I think they should), you should see a tech at your home fairly soon.  Explain to the CSR if you have problems with any other equipment like cable set top boxes or home phone which can also be an issue due to the signal levels.  If you have any outages on any of those, call tech support while the outage is in progress. That's the best time to call as it really provides proof that there is a problem, and it might be possible to determine where the problem is, either with your cable, the local tap (green box) or perhaps with the line from the tap back to the neighborhood node. 

Tech Support:  1-888-764-3771 

I Plan to Stick Around

Can't one of the online techs check my account using my online persona instead of me calling in?  Come on someone at Rogers notice that I'm complaining about my signal and I'll give you my account number so you can test my line.  I'm sure Rogers is monitoring these forums.

Hello, @bobbydigital

Thank you for your post, I can help with your request. As you are already aware, addressing the issue involves in accessing your account. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps when you are online. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats