cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbearable Latency Issues

Xemnar
I've been here awhile
Recently, maybe in the past 3 or 4 weeks I've had unbearable Latency Issues in games and VoIP calls. It doesn't affect any specific game and it's even calls that cut out intermittently and catch up a second later.

Latency in games hovers around 80ms and jumps up to 140-250ms intermittently. I've been on wifi for over a year with no issues and suddenly this is the same with every device in the home.

Rogers techs were here yesterday and adjusted something outside with no success, and even replaced the modem. They said they were unable to do anything else and that everything else looked fine.

I've run a couple different speed tests and get about 20ms idle latency and 150-300ms loaded/download latency.

This all started about a month ago and it's starting to drive me nuts so I'm hoping I can find some help here.
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Unbearable Latency Issues

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@teamlloyd  You just inspired me to do an IPv6 test myself.

Windows: "ping -6 -n 3600 -w 20000 dns.google.com"

Ping statistics for 2001:4860:4860::8844:
Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3600, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 16ms

Test completed a few minutes ago.  Same DAA/R-PHY node as the one in my previous post.  However, the only Rogers hardware in the mix in my home is an XB8 in Bridge Mode.  Router/firewall is my latest little science project.

IPv4 performance is comparable.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 16ms

Packet loss is actual.  Nothing I can do about it.  The only thing that I can control is how well my hardware performs... and I think I can still make it go faster.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, here are quick ping tests from this morning, taken at the start of the work day.

XB8 (bridge mode)

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.539/26.738/202.596/4.699 ms

XB7 (gateway mode)

1000 packets transmitted, 999 packets received, 0.1% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 17.008/31.569/60.928/6.445 ms

Higher latency, lots of jitter where the typical ping RTT constantly varies between 20 and 50 ms, and the occasional latency spike in the 100-200 ms range.

All I can say is that the current network performance, at its best, is what I would expect to see at its worst.

The good news is that in Markham, there will soon be a VERY disruptive competitive threat to all of the incumbents who have been resting on their laurels -- An independent is in the process of bringing FTTH to the entire city.  (Last week, I saw their crews installing fibre along 16th Ave. and into some of the surrounding neighbourhoods.) I don't know how good their service will actually be but at something like $60/month for a 1 Gig symmetric Internet service and the ability to offer 10 Gig symmetric, they will get significant market capture.

There is absolutely NO way that Bell will ever be able to compete with DSL, so you know that they will accelerate their FTTH roll-out.  (They are doing one neighbourhood now, right next to Markham-Stouffville Hospital.)

I don't know how Rogers will respond but in the not-too-distant future, they will have a very hard time competing with any DOCSIS-based offering.  I can only hope that we will start to see some good things happening soon.

Markham1
I plan to stick around

I do hope you are correct in this. I've lost track of how many months we've been plagued with spiking latency. I've yet to see a hint of improvement.

ngehani
I plan to stick around
The competitive threat you are talking about is CIK Telecom? I like the idea of them being a threat to force lazy incumbents to get their act together. However, I heard CIK is being deemed to be a security risk given their susceptibility to influence from the CCP. What do you think is subsidizing all their low prices?

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

10gig symmetrical ftth sounds amazing! can't be any worse than what i'm paying for now so im down for anything haha. 

Xemnar
I've been here awhile

The only thing I can find when running searches is your own comment. This sounds like typical rumour spreading.

I've accepted that my initial issue will never be fixed and Rogers support will just continue to gaslight me. In the past month I've called them no less than 8 times due to random outages and each time they spew the same info about crews going to fix it. They apparently set me up for notifications when the work is done but I never get one.

The most recent guy I got finally admitted that they're upgrading fibre lines across the province and that I will "experience intermittent outages when my area is getting upgraded". So he basically told me I'm screwed and that "Rogers doesn't notify when this is happening and I'll have to put up with it".

Having Rogers as the only option sucks. They know it and continue to give no real support. The technicians that come to the town constantly are wonderful but are very clearly getting fed up with coming here.

ngehani
I plan to stick around

I'm in the same area. Hwy 7 / Wooten Way

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, things seem to be getting better for me:

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 7.299/16.904/28.090/2.300 ms

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

Had a contractor from CableCan come to my house today to convert the temp line in my yard, he said it's a much bigger issue than what he's qualified to do.  He pointed out that all the other houses on my street have wires all above ground going into the trees, which is not how they're supposed to be installed. Seems like when Rogers initially wired my street years ago they chose to cut corners and not do the required digging and construction to feed the wires below ground and properly install them. He told me that the "main line feeding the pedestal is the problem, not your wire from the pedestal to your house". Basically just said he can't do much and left after that... still seeing pings into 1800ms. another $250 this month for horrible service and severe issues gone unresolved since February... 

iCamp
I've been around

i'm on the north side of Markham and Steeles ave. I already have 5 different rogers technician dispatch and none of them is able to resolve the issue. All technicians have pointed Rogers need to dig up the ground and fix the line. This has been half a year discussion. This is not just latency issue but random outages during weekday hours and I work from home

Mods @RogersCorey @RogersJermaine  can you give us an update for customers in the Markham area since both are aware this thread, there are enough clients that have reported this issue. I feel like a hostage because Bell doesn't offer fiber in this area yet. Otherwise, I would have long left rogers.

ngehani
I plan to stick around
If you're in the hwy7 ninth / wooden way area, PM me. I'd like to organize a formal campaign to Rogers management and regulators against this situation. Airing grievances on this forum isnt going to do much.

Hello, @iCamp & @ngehani

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how frustrating it is to deal with latency issues. We definitely want to help you get this investigated. Please provide us with a Ping Test and a Traceroute so we can try to determine where the latency is occurring. You can find the specific steps here.

Please post your results to the community so we can review.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For all of you troubleshooting latency, I first wanted to share my ping and traceroute to www.google.ca, just so you can see what thing should look like.

--- www.google.ca ping statistics ---

100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.116/16.706/26.050/2.290 ms

% traceroute www.google.ca
traceroute to www.google.ca (172.217.165.3), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 [redacted].home.arpa (192.168.xxx.1) 0.734 ms 0.235 ms 0.230 ms
2 [redacted] (99.xxx.xxx.1) 27.593 ms 16.609 ms 18.805 ms
3 24.156.137.129 (24.156.137.129) 16.738 ms 16.547 ms 14.660 ms
4 3033-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com (209.148.232.73) 15.645 ms 14.444 ms 16.754 ms
5 209.148.235.218 (209.148.235.218) 15.685 ms 15.832 ms 16.568 ms
6 72.14.216.54 (72.14.216.54) 15.160 ms 15.776 ms 15.826 ms
7 74.125.244.145 (74.125.244.145) 74.218 ms
74.125.244.161 (74.125.244.161) 17.304 ms 14.597 ms
8 216.239.40.255 (216.239.40.255) 24.435 ms 16.247 ms
216.239.41.175 (216.239.41.175) 15.176 ms
9 yyz12s06-in-f3.1e100.net (172.217.165.3) 22.696 ms 15.852 ms 14.701 ms

The first thing to note is that in my (small, limited) ping test, the round trip time to www.google.ca was between 13 and 26 milliseconds.  I had a bit of jitter but no serious latency spikes.

Traceroute (or tracert on Windows) is another interesting tool.  I won't describe how it works here but between the computer in your home and the Internet host that you are trying to connect to, your traffic needs to pass through several hops, starting with your Ignite Gateway, the CMTS router (for Cable Internet customers), various hops through Rogers' internal network, then finally through an Internet Exchange Point (e.g. TorIX) beyond which, Rogers has no control.  Each line in traceroute's output displays three measurements to each successive hop on the network path to the destination host.

Ideally, you want the round trip time (RTT) to each hop to be consistent.

Ideally, you want to see the RTT increase slightly to each successive hop on the network path.  The times on "Hop 3" are the RTT's to the router at that hop, NOT the time between Hop 2 and Hop 3.  If the times on Hop 3 are lower than those shown on Hop 2, it's an indication of jitter.  If there is a lot of variation in the times shown on each hop, that's also an indication of jitter... and the cause could be ANY router or network link leading to that hop.

In my case, you can see that RTT on the first hop, the router/firewall in my home, is less than 1 ms.  I'm running on my own network gear, with my Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode.  My in-home network is very fast.  Anything past that is beyond my control.

You can see that the RTT times to Hop 2, the CMTS router, are 27.593 ms, 16.609 ms, and 18.805 ms.  Note that this is VERY similar to what I see in my ping tests to www.google.ca, which means that pretty much ALL of the latency that I see to www.google.ca is being introduced between my Ignite Gateway the the CMTS router.

In my traceroute, note the latency spike of 74.218 ms shown on Hop 7.  This hop is in Google's internal network but that latency could have been introduced anywhere on the network path up to that point.

For any of your test results, on your first hop (10.0.0.1 for Ignite Internet customers), I would expect to see round trip times of less than 10 ms.  If you see RTTs of 150 ms, or huge variations, that is latency being introduced by your Ignite Gateway (or possibly your computer or your in-home network) before that traffic even gets out of your home.

If you see a lot of jitter or a non-response due to packet loss at Hop 2, that's an indication of congestion in your neighbourhood or your CMTS router.

If you are seeing a lot of latency and jitter in your ping tests to www.google.ca, I would open four terminal (or command line) windows/tabs and run simultaneous ping tests to 10.0.0.1 (your Ignite gateway), the IP addresses of Hops 2 and 3 on your traceroute to www.google.ca , and a ping test to www.google.ca.  If you get a lot of variation just pinging your Ignite Gateway, that's bad.  If the simultaneous ping test results to Hop 2 (your CMTS router) and www.google.ca are VERY similar, that's confirmation that the latency problem is caused by Rogers, very close to your home, and that localizes the cause to a combination of your Ignite Gateway, your local node, and your CMTS router.

Happy troubleshooting... and best of luck in getting your network performance issues resolved!

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

ping test:

C:\Users\Compu>ping -t google.com
Packets: Sent = 62, Received = 62, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 863ms, Average = 94ms

traceroutes to google:

C:\Users\Compu>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com 
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Compu>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com 
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Trace complete.

***removed table - Keep personal info private***

@teamlloyd can you go back into your post and delete all or most of the first address in the traces to google.  That is your modem IP address which shouldn't be posted online in an open forum.  

If you want to provide a trace which includes the modem address, use an IPv4 trace.   Run:

tracert -4 www.google.com

That returns an IPv4 trace where the modem LAN address that shows up is 10.0.0.1, which is a normal address for the modem and doesn't point to the modem itself.  The CMTS address is a tip off that you're on 1 of possibly 254 addresses connected to that CMTS.  

Fwiw, to see the response time from the CMTS, which should be consistently in the 8 to 13 ms range, use the second hop address from the trace:  2607:f798:804:f8::1     Ping that address.

Run an extended ping test to determine the latency and packet loss to the CMTS.  I usually run these for 24 hours.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@teamlloyd  Have you tried logging into your Ignite Gateway, going to "Troubleshooting > Network Diagnostic Tools", and running a traceroute to 8.8.8.8?  If you see times of 15 ms or less on all hops with no spikes, then that points to your Ignite Gateway introducing latency and jitter when forwarding packets from your internal LAN.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Fwiw, to see the response time from the CMTS, which should be consistently in the 8 to 13 ms range, use the second hop address from the trace:  2607:f798:804:f8::1     Ping that address.

The traceroute outputs got edited out but I recall seeing a 400+ ms response time from the (v)CMTS router.

Run an extended ping test to determine the latency and packet loss to the CMTS.  I usually run these for 24 hours.

It's also critical to run any kind of network benchmarking on a system while it is completely idle and dedicated to preforming a test.  Otherwise, you will see stuff like this:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=133ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=131ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=136ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=118

That RTT spike was from me performing a speed test.  I could do other things that would cause ping RTTs to spike to several-thousand milliseconds, especially when running the Ignite Gateway in "gateway" mode.

If your PC syncs to cloud storage or does anything else that is bandwidth-intensive, it will throw off ping tests and traceroute and other applications running on that system that are latency-sensitive.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Anyone who is running any type of ping test to benchmark the response or check on a response time due to suspected high latency has to be aware of what's running on their own system.  If observed latency is such a problem, then the only item running on the test system should be a single ethernet connected pc or laptop.  If necessary, disconnect everything else from the modem or router, ethernet or wifi, except for that single ethernet connected pc or laptop.  That won't win any accolades from your family, but, it might be a necessary step to determine if the issue is really within your own network or due to external issues such as packet loss to the neighbourhood node or overloading at the CMTS. 

With the introduction of the XBx modems, where everything goes thru the modem, testing for latency issues has become more difficult.  As at @-G- points out, cloud storage or anything else that is bandwidth-intensive can affect your test results, so, you have to be aware of what's running on your system.  You can learn what those affects are by running a ping test and starting something that is a normal activity on your system, including running a speed test, running an internet connected backup, watching a program in high def, etc, etc.  That is all part of the learning curve.  When you do enough testing, you'll get to a point where you can recognize high latency which is caused by something that you're doing, or something caused by an external issue.  For the reasons listed above, you can't simply run a quick ping test and point to high latency as being caused solely by an external issue.  Personal opinion, minimum test time should be at least an hour, preferably over 24 hours, with a time stamp.  Without a time stamp, running a windows ping test is next to useless.  You really need a time stamp to correlate high latency with any activities that might be running on your network, and to correlate high latency to time of day latencies seen at the neighbourhood node and CMTS.  That brings up the issue of how to do this, which I will have to detail in another post.  

Fwiw, running a 24 hour test will show the difference in latencies seen during high load times (early morning, late afternoon and into the evening) compared to the very early morning hours, 3 to 5 am, where the neighbourhood node and CMTS traffic reaches a minimum.  With that early morning benchmark in hand, you'll know what's normal and what's very abnormal.  

ngehani
I plan to stick around
Guys I am in the same area as teamlloyd and have been in touch with a level 2 tech who tells me we are in one of the most congested nodes he's ever seen. He is talking about node segregation which will take months. Meanwhile keep paying the 120 a month and enjoy 1200 ms pings.

Good morning @ngehani!

If the area has been officially recognized as being congested, then you're on your way towards the solution. 

We can check from your account to see where we are in the node segregation process and give you a better idea of the timeline if one is available. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

Still nothing new here... still dealing with the same issues that have been plaguing my neighborhood since last february. 

Topic Stats