cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbearable Latency Issues

Xemnar
I've been here awhile
Recently, maybe in the past 3 or 4 weeks I've had unbearable Latency Issues in games and VoIP calls. It doesn't affect any specific game and it's even calls that cut out intermittently and catch up a second later.

Latency in games hovers around 80ms and jumps up to 140-250ms intermittently. I've been on wifi for over a year with no issues and suddenly this is the same with every device in the home.

Rogers techs were here yesterday and adjusted something outside with no success, and even replaced the modem. They said they were unable to do anything else and that everything else looked fine.

I've run a couple different speed tests and get about 20ms idle latency and 150-300ms loaded/download latency.

This all started about a month ago and it's starting to drive me nuts so I'm hoping I can find some help here.
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Unbearable Latency Issues

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

I was also told that they were upgrading the servers in Markham to deal with these issues. I wasn't told that they ran into issues though! yikes.

xhuskyx
I've been here awhile

This issue is still ongoing.  It been over a month! What a joke.  I don't even know why I'm still with Rogers.

stgmsa
I've been here awhile

It's getting even worse. 
here's my MTR result (reaching to 8.8.8.8) 

yow-mp0gs (10.0.0.204) -> 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 2023-06-03T04:44:02-0400
Keys: Help Display mode Restart statistics Order of fields quit
Packets Pings
Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. 10.0.0.1 0.3% 301 5.4 6.4 1.8 185.9 14.8
2. 99.240.154.1 2.0% 301 68.2 862.7 16.6 6339. 1062.
3. 69.63.243.85 1.3% 301 169.3 855.1 19.1 6225. 1058.
4. 3033-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com 1.0% 301 61.8 841.8 16.7 6116. 1047.
5. 209.148.235.218 1.3% 300 517.1 821.4 15.4 5998. 1024.
6. (waiting for reply)
7. 74.125.244.161 1.3% 300 284.9 849.8 18.7 6816. 1075.
8. 216.239.41.175 1.3% 300 173.7 839.7 17.4 6699. 1085.
9. dns.google 0.7% 300 56.7 835.4 14.9 6582. 1067.

10.0.0.1 is my wifi gateway (Rogers Ignite modem with Wifi module), it's mostly stable & relible.

while 99.240.154.1 is Rogers' gateway, it's super unstable (yes, I'm testing at 4.46 A.M. on Saturday) and I got incrediable StDev 

what's Rogers been doing ?! It's been more than 2 months.

Good morning @stgmsa!

In this case, you've got more than just mere latency, this is an issue of packet loss.

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Markham1
I plan to stick around

Just chiming in that I have also been experiencing latency issues for over 2 months already. Technicians have come in and tried to fix it and nothing has changed. They have stated that the issue is in my neighbourhood and that I will just have to wait for a maintenance to come and "fix it". Gaming has been a horrible experience on my own internet and I have been forced to use my own mobile hotspot to get a consistent and stable connection.

I hope whatever is happening in our neighbourhoods is getting noticed by Rogers and is actually getting escalated because the fact that it has been like this for so long is just upsetting.

stgmsa
I've been here awhile

LoL, actually it's my neighbour asked me "Is your internet OK? " before I noticed there's a problem.

And I was replying - "yes, what's happening?" - Oh, foolish me.

Rogers technicians came several times (both for me & my neighbour), removed the splitter, checked the signal strength, reset the modem, etc .. nothing changed.

and guess what, my neighbour's internet got fixed! by switching to Bell 🙄 - even it's a 50Mbps plan. 

----Just did another test, still have more than 200ms latency on 2nd hop (which is the Rogers gateway) 

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

Having the same conversations with my neighbor on rogers as well... Seems like switching to Bell is the only option as Rogers' Markham network upgrades have been delayed indefinitely...

Erock1
I've been around

Also wanted to chime in, I've been dealing with this for months now! I live in Markham (McCowen & Highway 7), and gaming has been absolutely unbearable. Pretty much the same experiences as everyone else. Had two techs come out and change a few things, but zero improvement.  They both created tickets with maintenance, but I haven't heard any updates, or seen any improvements. 

On one hand I am happy I am not alone in this, on the other I am extremely frustrated.  Is there anything we can do to get this issue resolved?  Any assistance from Rogers would be greatly appreciated. 

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

I've been in contact with the rogers forum moderators about the markham upgrades and after asking for updates for the last couple of weeks they've replied saying "The work is still in progress, and we are still waiting for an estimated resolution time. We will keep you posted as new information flows in." so the only choice is to wait for this work to be completed however long that takes, or just bite the bullet and switch to Bell if the packages available at your address are good enough for your use case. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@teamlloyd wrote:

I've been in contact with the rogers forum moderators about the markham upgrades and after asking for updates for the last couple of weeks they've replied saying "The work is still in progress, and we are still waiting for an estimated resolution time. We will keep you posted as new information flows in." so the only choice is to wait for this work to be completed however long that takes, or just bite the bullet and switch to Bell if the packages available at your address are good enough for your use case. 

I don't know what is actually going on behind the scenes but I suspect that there are significant technical problems that are forcing Rogers to pause their node upgrades.

In autumn, 2022, line conditions in my neighbourhood were not great.  I don't think my node was overloaded but my power levels were low, SNR was really bad, I was getting varying levels of packet loss, and watching as my signal levels were deteriorating, wondering when my modem would finally drop off the network.  My neighbourhood needed some serious maintenance but the "area issues" were not being addressed.  However, being fairly close to my Node, my issues were relatively minor.  For others farther downstream, their Zoom calls kept dropping every few minutes.  Students taking online exams had to gamble whether their Rogers Internet would be stable-enough that day; if the Internet went down while they were taking their test, the test would close and their mark would be their mark.  I don't know any serious gamers but I doubt that they were happy.

Fast forward to January/February.  Things were still not fixed but the signal levels tended to be better on cold days, so I watched the weather forecast and managed to get a Senior Tech dispatched on a rare nice warm day... and the test results were bad enough that the ticket HAD to be escalated to maintenance.  At the same time, in the days before my tech arrived, contractors were installing a new cabinet next to the old Rogers fibre node.  Perhaps Rogers was FINALLY going to start the FTTH rollout in my neighbourhood.  Unfortunately, that was not the case; the techs were installing a next-gen DAA node.  I asked Rogers why they were going in that direction, especially when that new gear had serious stability issues.  I never got an answer -- didn't expect one either -- but the next big question was whether they would stay on the old analog fibre node but fix the "area issues" or cut over to the new node.  They opted to cut over to the new node.  (Okay... I guess I should put my tray up, put my seat in an upright position, stow any loose articles, and assume the crash position.)

The upgrade apparently did not go badly, as I had feared.  My DOCSIS channel configuration had changed but things were in a relatively simple, safe configuration, my signal levels were absolutely perfect, the the network was performing relatively well.  However, the reason for keeping DOCSIS around is to enable Rogers to offer higher upload and download speeds over coax, improve latency, improve capacity and scalability, make the HFC infrastructure easier to maintain, pave the way for DOCSIS 4.0, all while keeping familiar technologies around that support techs and staff were comfortable with.

A few days after my Node got upgraded, Rogers pushed out a change that would be the first of many steps toward a bright new future... but the result was a horrible, HORRIBLE train wreck.  The network was unusable for days, and this was not a change that they could simply revert.  They ended up going back to that "safe" channel configuration, and it has remained that way since early March.  It looks like the Rogers network teams are still tinkering with their routing infrastructure, which causes other network issues to come and go, but they haven't implemented any changes that would allow them to unlock more upstream and downstream capacity on DOCSIS.  And if they did or could, I don't know whether their routing infrastructure would be able to handle even moderately higher traffic volumes.

Taking a longer-term outlook, the other reason for making DOCSIS infrastructure upgrades is to allow coax to compete with FTTH.  If their vendor(s) can't deliver, Rogers will have wasted a ton of money AND be at a serious competitive disadvantage.  I suspect that this is what is holding up your upgrades.

Right now, CIK is also making a push to deploy FTTH in Markham and Richmond Hill, and both Bell and Rogers will need to figure out how they will respond.  (From what I have seen, CIK's customer satisfaction is extremely poor... but they are still attracting customers based on price.  If people find their Cable Internet unreliable or unusable, and DSL Internet doesn't cut it either, people will take a chance and jump to the any provider that can offer them a viable alternative.)

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

hmmm. interesting. still seeing bad latency spikes on my end so i hope these upgrades get put through asap... was originally told by RogersAdam on April 21st that the markham upgrades should take 6 weeks. We're now 7 weeks since then and counting... 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@teamlloyd wrote:

hmmm. interesting. still seeing bad latency spikes on my end so i hope these upgrades get put through asap... was originally told by RogersAdam on April 21st that the markham upgrades should take 6 weeks. We're now 7 weeks since then and counting... 

The good news is that my signal levels are solid, there are very few errors at the DOCSIS level, and the minor latency spikes that I saw (caused by upstream issues) seem to have settled out.  Here's a quick ping test that I ran earlier this evening:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 11.582/16.493/27.376/1.441 ms

I'm also getting in excess of 1.8 Gbps throughput with my Ignite 1.5 Gigabit service.

Sometimes I will still see signs of congestion in their network -- occasional latency spikes of 200 (or so) milliseconds and some lost packets that are not caused by uncorrectable errors -- but things seem to have gotten much better recently.

However, the Rogers network team also has not tried to provision my node with the configuration that caused all those problems back in March, which suggests that they may still be trying to work through some potentially serious unresolved technical issues.  Hopefully, they are just temporarily pausing upgrades to put pressure on their vendors.

I don't know what's actually going on behind the scenes so I'll resist the temptation to speculate any further.

I hope that Rogers will be able to resolve the issues that you (and everyone) are experiencing as soon as possible.

Eduk
I've been around
I Had the same issue. And had dozens of technicians coming here and they will always say that there is no issue or that the signals were too strong or too weak, add filters, remove filters etc. I kept saying that most likely there was something wrong with their node on the street as this was happening on peak hours and that I suspected that there was also node saturation, hence why it was always happening at the same time during peak hours. My response times would go up to 2500 and massive amounts of packet loss. After many attempts I was able to get a senior tech to come here during peak hours (6-8pm) and right away he was able to identify the problem. Apparently the issue is this new node (rfy, rphy that is how its called, I can't remember exactly the name of the node) that Rogers is using, there is some sort of interference and in my case, also, node saturation as suspected. He was also able to verify that other houses in my area were being affected as well. The tech was able to request Rogers to do something at the node and a day later my internet was perfect. No instability, no packet loss, no high latency anymore. Ask for a senior tech, they will be able to help you with that. You have to be firm on the phone that you want a senior tech, otherwise they will keep sending techs that don't have the power to investigate further.
I hope it helps and you get it sorted out.

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

I've had a senior tech come out and identify exactly that. I've been assured multiple times that its an issue on my street impacting neighbors as well. He created a ticket for the maintenance team, which was closed with no resolution because they couldn't pinpoint the issue... I also contacted and created a ticket with CCTS and they called me and just said they couldn't do anything because in Rogers' TOS they state 24/7 working service is not guaranteed. 

Markham1
I plan to stick around

I requested another technician to come over and check it out. Unfortunately I couldn't get a senior technician because they didn't have any "available". Maybe 3rd times the charm...

With this upcoming tech visit, is there anything I should ask in particular? Perhaps asking them to check in more detail the node outside my house?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Markham1   The only thing that a Rogers tech can do (contractor or in-house tech) is check the quality of the connection from the pedestal/tap on the street to your modem.  If that signal path is clean, then this confirms that the cause of your problems are upstream.  Once that is done, get the tech to document the actual problem(s) that you are seeing (whether it's extreme latency, a poor signal to your modem, etc.) in a ticket so that it can be escalated to the appropriate team for resolution.

Only a maintenance tech can fine-tune the signals emanating from the node.

If your node is overloaded, Rogers will need to upgrade it and/or perform a "node split", and that involves planning and a special team to preform the work.

If the problem is upstream from the node, that will require escalation to Rogers' network teams.

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

Still seeing constant ping spikes into the thousands at all hours of the day... two weeks over the original 6 weeks projected for my 'node uplift'. Terrible service. 5 months with unuseable internet and still no changes in severity.

ngehani
I plan to stick around

Add me to the list. My issues started around March. Latency around 2-3000ms. I am paying for two internet services at home now. One with Bell that's great for latency but bandwidth constrained. Another with Rogers with all these latency issues but speed is fine.

Level 2 tech I interact with periodically who is assigned to my area confirmed that their equipment vendor hosed them with some glitch that they can't seem to resolve lol.

I am curious why there's only so many people on these boards complaining about this issue when there must be thousands of users affected? Do we know how many boxes/ neighborhoods Rogers upgraded before this issue popped up and are all there upgrades on hold currently? They sure must be losing on precious summer weather to be doing these upgrades...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ngehani  I have not seen ping RTTs over 1000 ms in quite some time.  However, these stats are pretty typical these days:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 997 packets received, 0.3% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 11.103/27.494/85.065/5.203 ms

Ping test was performed mid-day, off-peak, with a Mac connected to an XB7 running in gateway mode.  Node was upgraded to DAA / R-PHY back in March.  Packet loss is actual.

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around

Results from my pings to google.com yesterday at 3pm 🙄

The full list of each ping had almost every other packet hit 1000ms+

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:803::200e:
Packets: Sent = 298, Received = 291, Lost = 7 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 3693ms, Average = 511ms

teamlloyd
I plan to stick around