cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Wireless Print After Changing to Ignite Modem

leonjulie
I've been here awhile

A little rant, but more so, reaching out for some WiFi help/advice.....

Started with Ignite bundle 5/7 ago and running 1gbs; express set-up went smooth, added devices to the Gen2 gateway with ease  - including my Canon laser Printer, its listed as a device on my network.  Or so I thought,  the printer seems to be on the network but will not print from cell phones x2 or laptops x2 with using wifi  "no airprint printers found".  Before Ignite, all was good using the legacy set-up.  

I have tried everything suggested by Canon, even information from this community forum.  Still no luck.  Last few nights, tried to get some help from Ignite Tech support - Road Block!!.  Tele support waits >2hrs; via text - agent minimizing the situation, confrontational language, and essentially indicated my situation does not pertain to Rogers products or services, so bugger- off and speak with Canon.  

Kindda feel let down by a company who offers a deceptive gold standard Ignite WiFi Promise to bundle customers.  Then asks us to contact an Ignite Tech expert to chat if the promise is not kept - I am unable to wait for hours nor do I want to feel invalidated by some joe typing away on a keyboard.

Any advice, help, suggestions are seriously welcome at this point.  Perhaps Rogers reviews this content, if so, thanks for the community forum registration badge.   leonjulie. 

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Wireless Print After Changing to Ignite Modem

Rcam
I plan to stick around

i can see I'm late to this party but i finally solved the issue.

i printed out my LAN settings and discovered that i had a 192.168.X.X ip address. i read somewhere that doing a hard reset for my canon mx470 would fix that. so i googled how to do a hard reset, went through that procedure and re-printed my LAN settings. BOOM! new ip address of 10.x.x.x! easy right? nope!

i tried to reconnect to the LAN via the auto scan method and nada. after a long sleepless night of trying just about everything, i went into my Rogers modems site (link i got from one of these forums because typing in the IP address into the browser bar did nothing), i was able to access WPS settings, selected push button method (PIN method did not work for me), went to the printer and scrolled over to WPS (Push button), paired the 2 devices, and wouldn't you know, the printer spit out pages i tried to print earlier!

grabbed my phone and opened the Canon Print app and noticed that the IP address had changed on there as well. I then deleted all versions of the printer on my laptop and added a new printer. it detected the new printer and i tested it out printing a test page, used the scan feature, and i can finally say everything works again!

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leonjulie Welcome to the Community!  I can't test this configuration but you may find the following post from the Comcast Xfinity forum helpful: AirPrint not working

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hello,

I am not an expert in this area but perhaps I can shed some light on this.

I also have a Canon printer, may not be the same one as you but theres 2 things you should know about wireless printing

1. connecting your printer to the Wi-Fi network is only part of the setup, that means your gateway can "see" your printer.

any PC on your network should be able to "detect" this printer and set up the drivers for it and print., however you mentioned something additional, you specifically mentioned Airprint.

Are you printing from an iphone or ipad device? if so, you need to do an EXTRA step, you actualy have to register your printer for Airprint within the printers web configuration page, yes it sucks no one tells you these things, i had to do it back in the day when i had a working i pad but no longer need it since the ipad is broken.

Once you set this up, Apple devices should see your printer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly  Okay, but apparently everything did work before the switch to Ignite Internet, so it looks like something in the Ignite Gateway is preventing Bonjour from working properly.  Looks like the key to getting things working is to enable Zero Config in the Device Discovery options.

(Again, I can't test this configuration and I am currently running in Bridge Mode.)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I guess it would be good to find out WHICH modem they specifically have.
the XB6 or 7??

As I have the 6, and I know that airprint for me, DOES work.
We are able to print from my wifes Mac and our iphones to our HP printer.
THOUGH.. the my HP is connected WIRED to the network, but the other devices are wired.

So I wonder if thats where part of the issue is?
I do have a wireless only HP printer as well, and I know I can print to it from a normal desktop.  but I generally dont always have it on, so not sure if airprint works from it.

All in all, when switching from the one service to another, did the wireless network name stay the same?  And the device just re attached on its own?
All in all, if it hasnt been done already, I would go full the full reset and re connect of the machine to the network again and see if that resolves anything.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
-G-, if your in Bridge mode, then the rogers modem is not providing any Gateway routing of your home network its done via the third party router. if t his is the case, its highly unlikely to be a rogers issue. can you confirm this?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leonjulie  Just to add to @Gdkitty 's comment, the Ignite gateways assign a different default IP address range than the Hitron modems.  If your printer or your devices' printer setup was configured in such a way that it was tied to that 192.168.xxx.xxx address range that the Hitron modem would have assigned, the printer may still connect to WiFi but none of the devices on the network would be able to connect to it.  If this sounds like it could be your problem, then the easiest fix will may be to reset reset/reconnect the printer to the network... and possibly also delete and redo the printer setup on your other devices if they still cannot print.

However, if your Canon printer is not able to connect (or stay connected) to WiFi at all, then that is a different problem.

We really need to know what is and what is not working on your network before we can provide you with any useful advice on how to get everything back into a good working state again.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
-G-, if your in Bridge mode, then the rogers modem is not providing any Gateway routing of your home network its done via the third party router. if t his is the case, its highly unlikely to be a rogers issue. can you confirm this?

Everything is working fine on my network.  However, I am running on my own networking gear and have Bridge Mode enabled on my XB6.  I also do not currently have any printers that support AirPrint so I cannot test whether or not that works with my XB6 in gateway mode either.

I was basically just trying to say that I cannot test whether or not AirPrint works in a typical Ignite Internet setup or whether enabling Zero Config on the Ignite Gateway would be required to get AirPrint working.

I also did not want to propose making any drastic changes without knowing exactly what is/is not working with @leonjulie  's network.  I assumed that having already consulted with the Rogers and Canon tech support groups, that the basic things would have already been checked/reconfigured and that the Ignite gateway was causing some weird problems in its default configuration.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
not sure then.

All I know is I used to have the Rogers ignite internet at my old place., I dont have apple devices but use windows based computers. for phones/tablets i have everything android. i used to use google cloud print but since its discontinued I thought i was out of luck but then i realized i had set up apple air print in my printer and my google android phone picked it up automatically, apparently it uses morphia protocol so u just need the morphia print app and your phone or tablet will find it. it worked for me, i had no other routers or gateways just the rogers modem at the time. i switched providers and so far its still working fine here.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I now I can wirelessly print to my printers, all Canon, on the network with the XB6 as the router and no Zero config functions enabled. However, I am not using AirPrint. I have also given the printers static IP address, not a DHCP reservation, set on the printers themselves. Only one of the 3 printers is fully wireless, the other 2 are connected via ethernet.

leonjulie
I've been here awhile
thanks everyone for your suggestions, still know luck but i have learned quite a bit. still have the printer vs ignite gateway vs device dilemma.

also, whole network slower, like 10-fold. even with testing i'm getting no better than ~50.

time for a tech house call, does this cost anyrhing??

Ezazh
I've been around
I was on Carrytel before rogers and was able to cast from my android phone to my smart tv and to my amazon fire stick (im not talking about netflix or youtube). And also be able to print wirelessly over the wifi.

Since getting rogers ignote, I can't do anything over the wifi. My printer connects to the wifi and my phone is connected to the sane network. Still it shows the printer unavailable.
I cant even connect the remote control apps for my smart tvs. They can't find the device.

I still have 2 weeks of carrytel subscription remaining so i connected it back. Everything started working fine.

Dont take me wrong, the internet itself works well on individual devices

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
My wife, on wifi, sometimes has problems printing to a network connected printer and I have to power it off and on. This printer is connected via ethernet, but wifi still seems to be the issue. Looking, there are lots of Comcast customers reporting the same thing. Reminder, this will not be a Rogers fix, Comcast has to fix it. I also see that it tends to be older printers that are having issues more than newer ones.

PFox78
I've been here awhile

I was dealing with this exact same issue. Spoke to tech support, they tried various things and nothing worked. Then, I had an idea: I asked for a Wi-Fi Pod, which has Ethernet ports. They sent one over at no charge. I connected my printer to the Pod via ethernet cable and now it's working perfectly. Not only that, but the Pod boosted the Wi-Fi connection in my home office and it's stronger. Whoever is still dealing with this issue, I recommend you do that.

GregR
I plan to stick around

I switched to Ignite Wifi with no issues other than my Epson Workforce 545 printer will not print.  I have had two lengthy sessions with Rogers tech support on the phone and one came in person.  No one could solve this.  The printer is on line.  When I go to print, the printer shows up as ready, but the document cannot be printed.  We have tried a multitude of solutions and everyone is stumped.  So do I buy a new printer?  Do I need to check compatibility with Ignite Wifi or will most new printers connect with no issues?  My modem is an XB7.  Thanks, Greg

PFox78
I've been here awhile

Look at the message I posted right before yours. The way around this is if you get Rogers to give you an Ignite WiFi Pod and connect the printer to the pod via Ethernet cable.

GregR
I plan to stick around

thanks I will try that!

z42x
I've been around

I can relate.  I switched to Ignite bundle recently and have spent many frustrating hours seeking set up support . My old HP Envy 4522 worked wirelessly for a short time after a super Rogers techie guided me through my printers wireless set up system.  I haven't needed the printer for several days and now can't get it to connect to our network.

The thought of playing the waiting game on the phone or trying to communicate with Chat Time Anna makes me crazy.  I'm afraid that trying to solve the printer mystery on my own may disrupt the TV , Internet and phone.  HEADACHE !!!

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I have my printer connected to a switch, which is connected to the XB6 (ethernet cabling) and my wife still constantly has problems printing if she is on wifi.

Ckr1
I've been here awhile

Same problem here, just got Ignite a few days ago and our Brother MFC-J491DW won't print. I get an error message on the computer that the printer cannot be connected to through the network, even though all the network settings on both the computer and printer have been updated. Like others, the thought of spending hours waiting on the phone or online for someone from Rogers to help is maddening!

Jill76
I've been around

Is there something I need to do ? I can’t get my new printer to connect to my network wirelessly.

Topic Stats