Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I switched 3 of my pc's to the Google DNS, unfortunately that didn't fix the Twitch frames dropping. 

The DNS error only appears a few times a day, sometimes it'll work for a few hours, then not and then if I restart the Rogers router it'll be fine again for a while.  

Even today, I'm still having the same issue. Gonna give it till this weekend and then give Rogers a call. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Spoke to Rogers today, according to them it's an area issue, engineering team will look into it, ETA 2 business days. We'll see in 2 days I guess. 

I'm Here A Lot

Hope it fixes your problem I have been having problems with Rogers for this exact thing to stream on twitch for over two years now they have sent multiple techs out to my place and give me the same recycled garbage that its fine. If this doesn't get fixed I may have to switch over to Bell even if I am downgrading from a 500 download and 20 upload to a 50 download and 10 upload....I honestly just need some stability with my connection.

I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone found a solution at ALL to this. Been through 3 routers at this point and just praying for any fix at this point. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having Twitch streaming issues ever since I switched to the CODA modems. I'm on the trial CODA modem right now and it still has the issue. I didn't have the issue with the previous rocket modem.

I have pretty terrible connection quality of all North American Twitch servers, and I even experience issues on the best server for me. 

The lag comes in spikes. It seems that either my connection or the CODA modem can't sustain a constant connection to Twitch. My theory is that it's not only upload but download as well that is affected, since I've been experiencing routine buffering whenever I watch a stream ever since I swapped to the CODA modem.  I have 10Mb up, and even with 3500 bitrate I experience issues. 

I'm gonna attempt disabling IPv6, opening the ports used by Twitch, set the DHCP reservation, and changed my computer's DNS to google's, and I'll report back if I'm getting frame drops still.

Edit: Changed the settings and after a few restarts I ran a 20 minute test stream. Still dropping frames (dropped about 6% of total frames). I ran a Twitch connectivity test using TwitchTest, and I get poor results to all of their North American servers. 

Anything else we can do to fix this?? 

I've Been Here Awhile

I switched back to the CGNM3552 (Rocket Modem) which I found at a Rogers center near me and it seems like the issue still persists. I had one night of 0% frames drop and everything being cleared up, but every other night has been awful. I can't tell if its the same issue because when I do speed tests the upload is way below my package is suppose to deliver which I'm not sure was the issue with the Coda modem? (From what I can remember it was mostly frame dropping rather than upload) I have a tech coming out this week  but something tells me they won't fix anything, and I just wanna get back to it. I even sent ina  ticket and "We have been unable to identify an issue at this time."

I'm Here A Lot

I have pretty much discovered that Rogers is throttling internet traffic by using my iPhone to do multiple different speed tests comparing Wifi mode over Rogers 75u vs Telus LTE.  I put a separate post together summarizing my test results in another thread.  I also just about 1 hour ago switched to TekSavvy, which uses the Rogers physical plant, and immediately all speedtest results that were showing slower than Telus LTE, started to perform at the same speed as Telus LTE.

The resident tech expert replied to my original post saying it's most likely backbone routing differences between Rogers and Telus that are responsible for the speed test differences, but that's unlikely the case for TekSavvy as they use the same network as Rogers.

So it's not 100% conclusive proof of throttling, but the results speak for themselves.

Anyone should be able to replicate my test if you have Rogers cable internet and a Bell or Telus Wireless plan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually, I think you'll find that Teksavvy doesn't use the same network as Rogers.  Rogers uses Cogent for moving data around.  So, a good portion of traffic that starts and ends in Canada routes thru the US, carried by Cogent, and most likely all or a majority of traffic that is US bound is probably handled by Cogent as well.  Rogers has been criticized in the past for traffic routing, but, to be fair, Bell and Shaw take hits from their users for wacky routing and latency that results from that routing.  

Your traffic starts on Rogers and from the CMTS is routed to the Teksavvy data center which I believe is located in London.  What Teksavvy does with it from there is anyone's guess.  So your results, comparing Rogers to Teksavvy should be much different.  That shouldn't be a surprise.  You could always post a question in the DSLReports forum and ask them how they route their traffic.  Don't know if you'll get an indepth response or not.  So, as @Gdkitty pointed out earlier, routing plays a big part in your test results.  What you've seen is that perhaps Teksavvy uses more intelligent routing, compared to the big ISPs in Canada.

I Plan to Stick Around

8 hour stream switching back to Start, nuff said.

I'm Here A Lot

Reply to Datalink, Rogers is by far the most expensive internet option where I live, if it's not by far the fastest, no reason to pay the premium. I was actually ok paying a bit more to get more, but why bother paying for 75u if poor routing or throttling is degrading me down to below 10Mb/s.