cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA 4582 - Guest WiFi Network Security

EugW1
I plan to stick around

I enabled the guest WiFi network on this Hitron CODA-4582 modem/router but the password security option doesn't seem to work. The guest network is always unsecured. It's that expected behaviour? My guess is no, because this page seems to suggest the guest password should work:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/guestwifi-coda

The password security works fine for the main WiFi network from the modem, but just not with the guest network. Thus, I have since turned off the guest network.

*Added Labels*

28 REPLIES 28

Re: CODA 4582 - Guest WiFi Network Security

RogersMoin

Hello, @EugW1.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community.

When you select the guest network to connect, are you not getting prompted to enter the password? When you launch the browser, you shall be prompted to enter the password. 

You can enable the guest network, try it again and keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

EugW1
I plan to stick around

Thanks. On some of my Apple devices, if I connect to the guest network (with the password set in the configuration settings), I can sometimes connect to Google without entering a password.  Or else I can't connect to anything and the password prompt page doesn't launch.

Usually with other commercial guest networks, when I choose the network, either the password prompt page launches right in the device settings menu (on iOS devices), or else it waits until I try to navigate to a page before it pops up the password prompt page (iOS or Mac).

With the Hitron, neither happened when I tried. I'll test a bit more later, but I'm thinking it must be a compatibility issue with Apple devices.

Brian20
I'm here a lot

Hey just wanted to add, I have this same issue as well. I set a password for my Guest Wifi and my work laptop think it's an unsecured network and won't let me connect. It's not a huge issue for me since I can use the regular 5G wifi with WPA2 but just thought I'd mention this here and that you're not alone.

egolf88
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I am new to the Rogers CODA 4582 Wifi Router. I have the same issue with the Guest Wifi network. 

When I get into the Guest Wifi network, I cannot access Internet. Even when I managed to put in the security password, it still would not.

Can anybody help me to set up the Guest Wifi properly? Thank you.

James.  

Hey @egolf88,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for posting! 🙂

There is a DHCP bug with the Guest Network that we have passed along to engineering to investigate further. It may be related to that, however, have you tried to factory reset your Gateway and try the Guest Network again?

Please let us know how you make out!
RogersTim

egolf88
I've been here awhile

Hi Rogers Tim,

Thank you for your response.

I think my Guest network is related to the DHCP problem you reported.

I can connect to the GUEST network without any opportunity to put in the password. 

Once I got in, I do not have Internet access. 

When I tried to get internet, a screen will come-up:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Connect to WiFi

The Wifi you are using ( GUEST ) may require you to visit its login page.

When I tried it, the following page will appear:

Password 

[                    ]

Language

[ English ]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I put in the correct password, the following message will flash for about 10 seconds:

Only allow DHCP client to use this wireless.

The above message will be up for about 10 seconds and then disappear. 

Please help. I think this is related to the DHCP problem.

Thank you.

James. 

Hey @egolf88,

The fix for this requires a Firmware update. It will be part of the next release candidate along with other some other bug fixes. Unfortunately, we don't have a release date or timeframe to provide at this time.

We will update the Community once the new Firmware is available.

Thank you for your patience,

RogersTim

egolf88
I've been here awhile

Thank you. Rogers Tim.

ezaritov
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue. End result - guest Wifi does not work, I had to switch it off.

So... any updates regarding this issue? I just set up the guest network and had the same issue.

Hello, @skynie09.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

I appreciate your query. At this time, we don't have any new information to share; the fix is still under testing. In the meantime, we have found that you can usually connect to the Guest network if you try a second time after the error message is displayed. Just be sure not to close the window.

Thank you for your patience. We will appraise the Community as the fix becomes available. 

Cheers,
The CommunityHelps Team,
RogersMoin

TrueNorth7
I've been around

Your network is not secure?
You can access the guest account, by logging into your router.
Problem is, once you login it is unsecured.
Anyone thought to disable the option? Or aren't your customers worth an update, to an already blatant security risk?
I had to enter a password, but it turns out my neighbor has had access to my internet for a couple weeks. No password needed. Not very happy you left this open. What the heck guys. Kind of questioned it, but thought " NO WAY Rogers would leave something insecure.
Wow.
SMH

Hey @TrueNorth7

That's terrible! I completely understand you're concern. I would definitely recommend disabling the Guest Network until further notice. As indicated above we can keep the community apprised when a resolution to this issue has been implemented. I believe that by default the modem's guest network is disabled but let us know you need assistance disabling it.

@RogersAndy

Irakandjii
I've been here awhile

Is there an update to this yet?  I currently have the CODA 4582 in bridge mode to get a reliable guest network and enhanced parental controls.  I would really like to "clean up" the space where these devices sit, so getting rid of the separate router would be desirable.

Is the firmware update mentioned in these posts available yet?

Hello, @Irakandjii

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums, and congratulations on your first post! 😃

I can completely understand the desire to have less equipment in your home as it can become an eyesore. Regrettably, we do not have any additional updates at this time. Once one is available we will update the Community.

Thanks for your post!

RogersTony

Hello,
I am having the same issue with the Guest Wifi network.

I just switched from another ISP, and I thought I could setup a secured Guest Wifi network (on a separate wifi network) like before but there is no such option on the wireless settings of my Gigabit modem.  😞

Guest networks are still a problem, after months of complaints by users.  Those complaints are about to be overtaken by events as Rogers is attempting to introduce a new firmware version for the 4582 modems, which includes a newer kernel.  The question is, while moving to a newer kernel, did Intel fix this issue or not?  Its too soon to tell as there haven't been enough modems loaded with the newer version, and that version is proving to be rather problematic at this point.  Only thing I can say is to stay tuned to see what happens when trial version 7.1.1.27 is loaded on additional modems, or, see if another delay is incurred to fix any problems found with that version.

mbalakrishnan
I've been here awhile

Current Firmware: 2.0.10.36T6

Guest WiFi - Gives 'only allow DHCP client to use this wireless'

I assume that I am already at the latest firmware. Any fix would be much appreciated.

Hey @mbalakrishnan,

Would you be able to provide a bit more context as to the nature of the issue you're facing? What is it you're looking to do?

@RogersAndy

I have the same problem.  I just swapped my old router for a CODA 4582 and I set up a password protected guest account.  Some devices are able to connect. Others show a message "only allow DHCP client to access".  The message appears for several seconds then disappears.  Trying again to connect gives the same result. Research indicates this to be a widespread problem that has been around for a few years with these routers and that a firmware update has been in development for the better part of a year now with no solution.

Frustrating! I've always used the guest account as a way to control my kids internet access.  It allows me to keep the rest of the house connected while I can shut their devices down when I  need to by simply logging in to the router and turning it off.  It's more effective than other parental controls that I've tried since my kids tend to find ways around those.

Topic Stats