I got the XB7 recently. Wifi performance is great. But there are a few issues.
1. It cannot resolve local host name on Android devices anymore. For example, I have a music server on a Windows PC. I used to be able to get to it (when my modem was an XB6) on my Android tablets through a web browser by typing in http://mymusic:52199. Now it cannot resolve the name anymore. I have to type in the address http://10.0.0.10:52199.
2. Still not supporting guest network, very disappointing. XB6 doesn't have it either, but older Rogers' modems do.
3. Something is broken on Windows networking. I notice the following behaviour
a) Windows (ethernet connected) CAN ping Windows (ethernet connected)
b) Windows (wifi connected) CANNOT ping Windows (ethernet connected)
c) Windows (ethernet connected) CANNOT ping Windows (wifi connected)
d) Windows (wifi connected) CANNOT ping Windows (wifi connected)
*** Edited Labels/Title ***
Good evening @dmfan,
Welcome to the Community!
You've definitely come to the right place! I'm glad to hear you're happy with the service, and thank you for sharing your feedback with the us.
I only have the XB6, so cant speak to any difference between the two.
As their firmware may be different, so may be specific to the XB7
As I can confirm that the features DO work on the XB6.
I am able to resolve host names.
And able to ping all directions (wired to wireless and wireless to wired) both by IP as well as host name.
I had XB6 as well and everything was fine.
I am not that concerned about pinging, but more about the problem with name lookup.
Does the XB6 have mDNS and the XB7 doesn't, maybe?
Thanks so much for posting your concern in the community.
Can you confirm if you're using a private DNS (aka DNS-over-TLS) on your Android device? The location of this setting might vary depending on the Android make/model. It should be located under Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS.
We look forward to your response.
What puzzles me is the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN message on tablets only and not on my PCs.
I am thinking it is because PCs will resolve names using NETBIOS if DNS cannot resolve the name, while the tablets don't do that.
Private DNS setting to off makes no difference.
And yes, the problem is persistent. It has been like that since the XB7 was installed.
Thanks so much for attempting this for us.
We'll need to do some additional diagnostic tests on our end to investigate this further. We may also need to escalate a ticket to our engineering teams.
We look forward to hearing from you.