cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

jj59
I plan to stick around

How to enable guest mode on new rogers Ignite TV modem/router?

**Labels Added**

100 REPLIES 100

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might need a little more information on your exact setup.

Do you have just the Modem, modem + pods, modem + eero modules, etc.

jj59
I plan to stick around
I have just the modem

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, but which modem? 
There are quite a few different models in used by rogers, depending on your plans, and it can vary from one to another.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59  Unfortunately, the XB6 does not currently allow you to set up a secondary Wi-Fi Guest Network with a separate password for visitors.  The only workaround that I can think of is to purchase an inexpensive router or access point for this purpose.

DBP
I've been around

Thanks for the clarification. I hope someone from Rogers is reading this who can pass my disappointment along. I find it absolutely shocking that a guest network is not available on the router. I just got set up last night and I couldn't believe it when I saw it was missing. I have NEVER seen a router (ISP provided or not) without this option. It is completely unacceptable to me. Now I have to purchase another router just to keep guests off my main network segment where my home devices are. Rogers, please fix this ASAP.

Greetings and welcome to our Community @DBP!

Yes, you can be sure that we read every single post that's posted here on our Community Forums and we report on trends as they occur.

Your feedback has been heard and you're not the only one. Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

RogersCorey

jj59
I plan to stick around
Is there a way to track feature requests from users? That would be a great addition to this forum. And even better if there was a status update from Rogers too.

Hello @jj59,

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome! Is there a specific request you are referring to? 

Just need a little bit more info to assist you :).

RogersZia

kklee
I plan to stick around

I just switched to Ignite Wifi. Could someone advise on the procedure how to set up a guest Wifi in Ignite Wifi where my guests can connect to and use a different Wifi password than the host Wifi? Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kklee wrote:

I just switched to Ignite Wifi. Could someone advise on the procedure how to set up a guest Wifi in Ignite Wifi where my guests can connect to and use a different Wifi password than the host Wifi? Thanks.

If you have the XB6 modem, then unfortunately you cannot do what you want at this time. Please see post 5 of this thread.

If you have a different modem, please advise us the exact make/model.  

(Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic.

jj59
I plan to stick around
It’s really too bad Rogers can’t figure this out with a software update. I’m thinking of leaving Rogers after 10 years with them.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Technically, the XB6 Gateway is capable of supporting secondary Wi-Fi networks and this capability could be used to provide a "Guest Wi-Fi" feature.  However, as far as I know, Comcast (so far) only provides integration for a Hotspot service.  Shaw and Comcast do this and expect guests to connect that way.  Rogers has remained tight-lipped on what they are planning but they do have a bunch of hidden SSIDs enabled on the XB6 that you cannot disable, even when you disable Wi-Fi or enable Bridge Mode.

petermj
I've been around

Plus One for the guest network. We switched from Bell and they have it available on their modem.

Rogers, please listen to your customers, or you will start losing them...

I do know that the Ignite system is really controlled by Comcast, but please pressure them to add this very useful feature that would only cost them a software update.

Thank you for listening.

Louche
I've been around

How do I add my husband and child to ignite wifi? Add labels is not a clear response!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you trying to do it via the APP? or Website?
Instructions vary slightly from each.

You will want to go to the PEOPLE tab.
On mobile there should be a + on the top right, the website it says Create a Profile
This will allow you to ad a new user profile.

From there, you can then click on the Assign a Device part under them.. and go through the list of devices and add them to that user.

pig00_ca
I've been around

How to set up guest network with Ignite WiFi Gateway modem?

Is this even possible on this modem? There is no document for this modem type. I downloaded Ignite Wifi App, the only thing close is people profile, is this the same thing? Please advise. Thanks ... Dave

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pig00_ca wrote:

Is this even possible on this modem? There is no document for this modem type. I downloaded Ignite Wifi App, the only thing close is people profile, is this the same thing? Please advise. Thanks ... Dave

Hi and welcome to the Community Forums.  Unfortunately, the XB6 Gateway does not currently allow you to configure a Guest network with a separate password for visitors.  A number of people have asked for this feature to be added.

As a workaround, others have connected an unused Wi-Fi router and used that for providing temporary Wi-Fi access to guests.  You can also configure parental controls for that device to restrict the content that can be accessed by guests.

VBJ074
I've been around

I too have the IgniteTV and consider it a failing not to have the ability to set up a guest password that exists for a period of time only.  Along with other problems this is a very basic feature that is missing.  IgniteTV is a step backwards it seems.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Read above, without a separate router there is no way to do this.

How to Set up Separate Guest WiFi CGM4140COM Gateway. I want to set up a separate SSID for guests. I do not want them connecting to my secured home network. I see the guest account in the Ignite WiFi app, but no way to set up the actual WiFi. In other words I don't want guest to require my network password. I want to set up and be able to regularly change my guest access.

Topic Stats