cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

454 REPLIES 454

Re: Can't create App password

d-stewart
I've been here awhile
This issue of the password generator no longer working has been ongoing since lat 2022 or very early in 2023.

This issue for the need of the password generator only effects outlook on new installations or following some form of a failure to authenticate that requests you re-enter your password. Even on my Outlook 2010 it still works, fingers crossed it never fails to authenticate at the mail server as if it does then that’s the end of it. I just installed on a computer office 365 (Outlook) and again it is useless as it demands you generate the password in the RogersMemberCentre.

When I 1st contacted rogers support about this back near the end of 2022 they said it should be backup in 24 hours, a week later and several calls they said it was being repaired by the software division and would be back up ASAP. A month later they said it was broken and had no idea when it would be functional. Well it’s July 5th 2024 and still not working!!! It’s a joke, it likely never will be again. They don’t want to support anything but webmail.

I’m forced to use webmail when I have a commercial grade/quality software ! NOT HAPPY !!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@d-stewart wrote:
1. I just installed on a computer office 365 (Outlook) and again it is useless as it demands you generate the password in the RogersMemberCentre.

2. I’m forced to use webmail when I have a commercial grade/quality software ! NOT HAPPY !!!

Please read my solution post to this thread, link again below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346#M78355

As discussed in that link (please read it):

1. Outlook 365 should work without an App PW, provided you are in "new" and not "legacy" mode (a number of Rogers customers have this working).  You may need to re-establish your account information in Outlook, but when you try to sign in with that account, you can do so using your Webmail PW, and not require an App PW, similar to when you create an account on a device like a phone or tablet.  (You may be required to provide MFA information to a cell phone on the first login, which requires a visit to the Rogers Member Centre)

2. If you have a PC, Thunderbird for PC doesn't require an App PW.  Also most apps on devices do not require an App PW.

Obviously a good idea to do a backup beforehand, or copy the App PW from your previous version instead. How you do that will depend, but tutorials are available on the web.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
My Thunderbird requires the not provided password. I am not surprised that some people are having trouble with Outlook 365. Perhaps Microsoft will issue yet another version of Outlook, with its own unpleasant surprises. Can you ever have too many different versions of “Outlook”?

chdiamo1
You are spot on d-stewart!

mwk
I plan to stick around

Another work around suggested by DWEnstron works flawlessly: Switch to Gmail and then have Gmail "Check email from other accounts". Go into the Gmail settings and set this up (it is quite easy). Works fine, and I now get all my Roger emails into Outlook, which is linked to Gmail.

chdiamo1
Thank you mwk!

Does the Outlook calendar sync when you use the Gmail work around?

chdiamo1

I never set up my Outlook 2013 to work with Gmail. I just use gmail.com on my desktop or the gmail app on my iPhone or iPad. I have no idea why Rogers didn't do what Cox in the U.S. did and provide us the App Password. But, I use the generic, web based Outlook, so it doesn't matter anymore. I wish we had more choices in Canada, but we don't. So, we just have to deal with what we have and hope that neither of the two big guys are allowed to gobble up even more smaller players!!

d-stewart
I've been here awhile
This may provide a pathway for incoming emails from the rogers account through a gmail account setup in Outlook, but 2 issues i see are:
1st) unless its a new gmail account otherwise not used ie: with no gmail emails arriving into the inbox, then you have to spend time and separating emails arriving and mixed in a single inbox.

2nd) when you send, reply or forward from this outlook account , emails received from your roger’s account will be sent from the gmail SMTP server, not the Roger’s SMTP and as such will embed that return info in the subsequent emails.

But it is at least in theory a work around for incoming.

Just seems really extreme, this should be basic functionality. Rogers, I am sure will resolve for it's customers.

fof9l
I plan to stick around

2nd) when you send, reply or forward from this outlook account , emails received from your roger’s account will be sent from the gmail SMTP server, not the Roger’s SMTP and as such will embed that return info in the subsequent emails.

That's quite correct, and gives the perfect opportunity to deal with this stupidity once and for all.

Set up a signature on the gmail account you're using to harvest the Rogers email that reads something like "Due to Rogers' inability to set up my email, I'm transitioning away from the Rogers address to this new gMail address. Please make the appropriate change in your address book and use this gMail account to contact me in future.  Thank you.".

There. Nice and easy, and let gMail do the work for you.

d-stewart
I've been here awhile
That signature idea is okay for some but not an option for others that must retain the existing account, it’s ID and the need to have all ongoing emails linked to the original address.

Maybe a step by step on how to dot his would be helpful. So disappointed as a loyal customer for 25 years +

fof9l
I plan to stick around

If you're using the gMail website in your browser, go to your Inbox and look at the top bar in the right-hand side of the window. Click the gear-shaped icon (settings) and, in the window that opens up, click on "See all settings". Scroll down to the bottom of that window where you will see the place for signatures.  You can type your message here. When you're happy with it, don't forget to click "Save".  Hope this helps.