Questions about PODS

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Questions about PODS

I had PODS installed today and am not sure I understand how they work.  I was having issues with one of my TVs that was furthest away from the modem, but the tech placed the pod for that TV further away from the modem than where my TV and box are currently.

1.  How does that increase the connectivity when the TV/box is drawing the signal from a pod further away from the modem that the box was?

2.  When I walk around the house, my phone stays locked on the main modem at all times.  Is it not dynamic?

3.  When I speed test the main modem, I get 500+.  But the pods speed is around 25.  The tech told me that the speed test for pods is not compatible with the main modem.  I really didn't understand this.

thanks for any explanation.

*** Edited Labels ***

Highlighted

Re: Questions about PODS

Evening @jjjjy7,

Ignite WiFi Pods are a great way to extend strong and reliable coverage all over the household. The pod the tech moved today, is it the only pod in the vicinity? You can find the  signal strength to that Ignite TV box by clicking and holding the exit button (3 secs) Down > Down > 2 on the Rogers Voice Remote. The pods all act as access points. Your devices will connect to whatever provides the best signal and connection, which could be the modem in most scenarios. 

The Ignite WiFi Pods don't have the same maximum download speed that the gateway does. They help extend the range of the WiFi to cover dead spots (or keep our set top boxes within our acceptable signal level). Additionally, they take up to 72 hours to optimize within the home network.

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So another question about the pods.What does it mean when the lights flash on them?I see that 3-4 times a week and who knows how often I don't see it. I think it may have to do with at least 1 pod offline?

Highlighted

Hello, @yyz64

Ensuring your pods are working properly is really important to ensure you get a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your entire home. 

If there is a flashing light on one of your Pods, it means there is an issue and it is not connecting properly. Please reboot the Pod by unplugging it from the wall for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Have you attempted rebooting the affected Pods before?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

I had PODS installed today and am not sure I understand how they work.  I was having issues with one of my TVs that was furthest away from the modem, but the tech placed the pod for that TV further away from the modem than where my TV and box are currently.

The Pods themselves are made by Plume.  A number of network-oriented tech sites have reviewed how they work.  A few years ago, Ars Technica published an article about them and got a behind-the-scenes look at how the Pods were developed and tested: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/going-hands-on-and-behind-the-scenes-at-the-plume-wi-fi-hq/

2.  When I walk around the house, my phone stays locked on the main modem at all times.  Is it not dynamic?

That's not entirely unexpected.  When a mobile device connects to Wi-Fi, it will connect to the access point with the strongest signal.  Once connected, devices will not typically look for a stronger AP to connect to (or disconnect) unless the RSSI drops below -70 dBm.

Over the past 10 or so years, standards such as 802.11k/r/v have also been developed to allow Wi-Fi clients to roam seamlessly from one access point to another but requires that both the client and the AP support those capabilities.  These standards were initially developed to enable Wi-Fi VoIP handsets to roam in enterprise Wi-Fi networks so that people could walks around with these phones without their calls dropping.  More recently, these standards have been adopted in high-end consumer network gear and mobile devices.

So, the roaming behaviour that you'll see depends on your device and the capabilities of the AP that you initially connect to.

3.  When I speed test the main modem, I get 500+.  But the pods speed is around 25.  The tech told me that the speed test for pods is not compatible with the main modem.  I really didn't understand this.

Try disconnecting from Wi-Fi and then reconnecting while next to a Pod, then retry the speed test.  Don't be shocked if you don't get super-high speeds.  Pods typically top out between 200 and 250 Mb/s.  However, I would expect better than 25.  It's possible that you might either need more pods or you might need to optimize their placement in your home.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply Tony.I believe that when this happens all 3 pods blink at the same time.When I go into the Ignite app on my phone it usually shows 1 pod offline. You can try and troubleshoot it from the app which may be just a reset signal to the affected pod.Happens weekly , multiple times.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing you may want to do, is try moving the pods around, to try and get better coverage.

You may never get crazy speeds as much as direct as when right by the modem itself, etc.
But I am able to get 100ish from each of mine (on the 500 plan).

But the way they work, is they are supposed to repeat the signal onto each other A may talk to B, B to C, etc.
But they will only be able to broadcast as good as a signal as they get.
So moving them slightly closer to each other, should hopefully increase speeds and connectivity slightly.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just got these pods myself.
They don't do anything at all to boost speed in further places from the main modem. I think they're great as a fancy door stop.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnWick   I agree.  My devices always seem to bypass the pods and connect directly to the modem.  If I am lucky, I might get 75-100 on a pod, but 450-500 from the modem (when I am in the same location as the pod test).   They do nothing for me.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohnWick  Pods are primarily for improving Wi-Fi coverage in tough-to-reach areas, not increasing speeds.  They are not the fastest devices out there, they operate as repeaters so they inherently introduce delay, and they are not meant for providing connectivity to a large number of wireless devices operating simultaneously.

On the other hand, if you were to have a huge "dead zone" in your family room due to plumbing and duct work blocking your modem's Wi-Fi signal, then adding Pods (or a Wi-Fi mesh node) may not give you tremendous speeds but will provide you with reliable Wi-Fi connectivity and provide ample bandwidth for your TV service and mobile devices.