cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Suspension on Ignite

igcg53
I've been here awhile

I've recently tried to temporarily suspend my TV and home phone for 3 months, while keeping my internet active. As you can appreciate in these days of "smart" technology things such as furnace monitoring and security depend on the internet connection.

Surprisingly, I was told that since I had an Ignite bundle I either had to suspend all or none of it. Clearly this is a stance that isn't customer friendly and is out of touch with the world we currently live in.

The Rogers website says that internet = 50% to 53% of most bundles, so just pick a % add $10/month for each suspended service and your done - right?  Apparently not. The solution of non-suspension amounts to a pricing surcharge.

Am I alone in feeling this makes no sense?  I know from my own career in business that virtually all such policies are management driven.

How can these concerns be elevated to Roger's management?  Last year's outage was one thing, but this is something easily addressed IF there is real concern for the customer.

THOUGHTS??

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Temporary Suspension on Ignite

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@igcg53 If you do a quick search for this topic in this forum you'll find several previous threads.  With Ignite, all services (TV, Internet, Home Phone) are IP (Internet Protocol), therefore if the Internet is down, all services are down. Conversely, if Internet is up, then TV and Home phone are "up".  It is my understanding that with this technology, it is not "easy" to separate out TV and Home Phone, so this is not simply a business decision, it's also technical.

Although there is probably some demand for this feature, it's probably not at the top of Rogers' list.  Also, some people make use of TV and/or home phone (and/or/download and go) while travelling.

If you travel enough to make it worthwhile to cancel say TV and/or home phone, then you will need to cancel everything with Rogers and resubscribe when you return. During this time, you will need to utilize another internet service provider - perhaps at fairly low cost since you won't require much bandwidth for the various Internet connected devices.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@igcg53 If you do a quick search for this topic in this forum you'll find several previous threads.  With Ignite, all services (TV, Internet, Home Phone) are IP (Internet Protocol), therefore if the Internet is down, all services are down. Conversely, if Internet is up, then TV and Home phone are "up".  It is my understanding that with this technology, it is not "easy" to separate out TV and Home Phone, so this is not simply a business decision, it's also technical.

Although there is probably some demand for this feature, it's probably not at the top of Rogers' list.  Also, some people make use of TV and/or home phone (and/or/download and go) while travelling.

If you travel enough to make it worthwhile to cancel say TV and/or home phone, then you will need to cancel everything with Rogers and resubscribe when you return. During this time, you will need to utilize another internet service provider - perhaps at fairly low cost since you won't require much bandwidth for the various Internet connected devices.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

It's not just that; it's how Rogers structures the bundle and how the services are set up in their billing system.  Ignite TV and Internet are tied together and cannot be separated.  If you should ever need to upgrade either component, you will need to subscribe to a new in-market bundle.

Recently, Rogers offered a faster Ignite Internet tier.  For anyone who wanted to upgrade to Ignite 1.5 Gigabit Internet, they could not just upgrade their Internet speed; they had to upgrade to a new bundle.  They also could not keep their old grandfathered Ignite TV plans.

If you have Ignite TV and Ignite Internet and want to drop your TV service, you will need to drop both and resubscribe to a new Internet-only plan.

If you have Ignite TV, Ignite Internet and Ignite Home Phone and want to drop your TV service, you will need to resubscribe to a new Internet-only plan, and you will also lose Home Phone because that service (currently) can only be added to an Ignite TV + Internet bundle.

Similarly, that is also why suspending Ignite services is and all or nothing prospect.  You cannot (currently) suspend Ignite TV only.  The only thing that you can do is unsubscribe from Theme Packs and other add-ons to reduce your monthly bill.

igcg53
I've been here awhile

Thanks, this is quite helpful

littlegirl
I've been here awhile

(Post merged to this thread by moderator)

If anyone can answer this it would be appreciated. currently have both internet and ignite tv.  Our lives have gotten busy with travel over the last few months and will become even busier in the next few weeks .  Want to only want to place the TV on vacation mode, not the internet as there will be a day or two were home in between trips.  One agent says yes we can for $5 a month up to 6 months and then we go to officially request, told NO you have to suspend both services or cancel the tv - tried reaching the 1844 number we were given over the last few days but seems no one want to answer and resolve the issue. I have emailed in asking for clarification and still no response    Has anyone here ever placed only one of their services on hold? Is this something we should be addressing with the CRTC board.  

Thanks in advance for any support 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@littlegirl : I have the following comments.

1. On Legacy Digital Cable it was possible to place vacation stops per service (TV, Internet, Home Phone) with cost of $10/mo for each IIRC.

2. Your post may have been moved to this existing thread which explains that due to the way Ignite TV works, it was not possible to place a vacation stop to say your TV service.

3. Recently Rogers has started offering Ignite TV on its own, so it appears that it's now possible to "separate" TV and Internet.

4. Despite that recent change, Rogers may still make the business decision not to allow for the separation for vacation stops.

5. I suggest you PM the mods here to get a definitive answer.  I have always found them most helpful and you will have a response in writing.  Once you have your answer, we would appreciate if you update this thread.  How to PM is outlined below:

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I realized after I posted that no personal information is required to answer this question.  Would the forum mods please provide a response to answer this question on Ignite TV?  @CommunityHelps 

Certainly @57! It would be my pleasure to answer this question. 🙂

To answer your question @littlegirl, if you subscribe to Ignite TV and Internet, you must suspend both simultaneously if you're requesting a voluntary suspension. 

You cannot suspend just one of these services individually as we only offer temporary suspension in cases where you will be away from home for a certain period of time. If you’re going to be away, you shouldn’t need to suspend one service and not the other.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey wrote:

If you’re going to be away, you shouldn’t need to suspend one service and not the other.

I can understand Rogers business decision in this regard, however, one may wish to suspend TV while away on an extended vacation, but maintain Internet for security systems or thermostats, or other IOT devices and/or maintain Home Phone for voicemail monitoring.

littlegirl
I've been here awhile

modertor Corey - you would be incorrect - in saying If you’re going to be away, you shouldn’t need to suspend one service and not the other"  there are still items which require internet services (security systems, etc) to continue running efficiently.  it does not make sense to not be able to suspend one with out suspending both.  IF that is the case where on Rodgers site is the official docuement for all customers to read.   In addition, if Rogers policy is you can't have one service without the other, then how is it possible for some customers to have internet without utilizing rogers tv serevices 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@littlegirl : If you're going to be away long enough to go to the trouble, you may wish to consider cancelling Rogers completely, getting an inexpensive ISP for the time you are away (since you probably won't need as much Internet as when you're at home) and then re-subscribe with Rogers for TV and Internet when you return.

If you're away long enough, you may even get a new customer promotion or "retention/winback" pricing upon your return.

I travel a fair bit too, but I'm never away long enough at a time to make it worth my time and effort. If one were a snowbird away for 4-5-6 months, then it would definitely be worthwhile.

SM946
I've been around

Thanks. Your explanation is both logical and helpful.

Happy2023
I've been around

Can I suspend internet and Tv service online?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Happy2023 wrote:

Can I suspend internet and Tv service online?

I don't think so but rather than face long wait times to contact Rogers by telephone or chat, try sending a private message to @CommunityHelps .  They should be able to assist you with this.

Russellmanzano
I've been around

I am having this exact issue right now and it is absolutely ridiculous to have an all or nothing solution for loyal customers.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 in conversation