cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Wireless Print After Changing to Ignite Modem

leonjulie
I've been here awhile

A little rant, but more so, reaching out for some WiFi help/advice.....

Started with Ignite bundle 5/7 ago and running 1gbs; express set-up went smooth, added devices to the Gen2 gateway with ease  - including my Canon laser Printer, its listed as a device on my network.  Or so I thought,  the printer seems to be on the network but will not print from cell phones x2 or laptops x2 with using wifi  "no airprint printers found".  Before Ignite, all was good using the legacy set-up.  

I have tried everything suggested by Canon, even information from this community forum.  Still no luck.  Last few nights, tried to get some help from Ignite Tech support - Road Block!!.  Tele support waits >2hrs; via text - agent minimizing the situation, confrontational language, and essentially indicated my situation does not pertain to Rogers products or services, so bugger- off and speak with Canon.  

Kindda feel let down by a company who offers a deceptive gold standard Ignite WiFi Promise to bundle customers.  Then asks us to contact an Ignite Tech expert to chat if the promise is not kept - I am unable to wait for hours nor do I want to feel invalidated by some joe typing away on a keyboard.

Any advice, help, suggestions are seriously welcome at this point.  Perhaps Rogers reviews this content, if so, thanks for the community forum registration badge.   leonjulie. 

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

55 REPLIES 55

Re: Unable to Wireless Print After Changing to Ignite Modem

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

@Jill76 what problem are you having?  We need more details.  You are following the steps in your printer instructions?  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a canon printer and had no issues when I connected it to my modem.   are you re-connecting it to the wifi once your modem has been changed? a lot of people forget how to do this, but all cannon printers should be able to login to your wifi thru the menus on the printer screen yes it can be tough to enter the passcode but once you connect it, it should recognise it, i had no issues using my cannon printer on rogers ignite for 1.5 years and more.  i used air print and google cloud print just fine and all i really did was re-connect to the wifi network

dianeandchris70
I've been around

Switched to rogers internet ignite and now can;t get my printer to print. i can see that it is connected but when go to print it goes to never-never land and says 0 jobs waiting

raptor93
I've been around

printing from iphone and ipad to printer:

have new ignite modem and can not print from ipad or iphone to printer 

prior to new modem could print from other devices with no problem

tried rebooting an checked all wires and cables with no success

i am able to print from my desk top computer to printer with no problem

any help appreciated

sswilson
I'm a reliable contributor

Is this a default function of the Apple device or does it require an app? If it's an app, I'd recommend uninstalling it and re-installing it (or checking to see if there's a "search for printers" option).

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

since you Changed your modem, i would try to re-install your printer again.  the printer could have been set up with a static IP with your old modem and by changing modems you as the customer must ensure your devices are connected correctly. i would re-install it and set it with a dynamic dhcp ip address and try again

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

I too am having issues connecting two different HP printers to my new Ignite modem.

Previously on the Hitron modem, one printer had a static IP address of 192.168.0.24 and the other was set to 192.168.0.17.

These worked fine for years. (4 or 5 years to be exact).

Earlier this week we changed over to Ignite as part of the bulk services agreement in our building and the computers and smartphones connected with no issues, however the printers would not connect.

I did factory resets on both printers to take things back to out of the box condition, but still no connection. One of the printers connects when using WPS but comes back with an IP address of 169.254.1.19 even though I connect with my SSID and its range is listed as 10.0.0.xx.  The HP wireless program tells me that the printer is connected but may not be on the same network.

Have spent way too many hours on this.

Any thoughts other than what someone suggested earlier in the thread about using the Wifi pod and connecting via ethernet cable?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeffb22  If you do not have Pods installed, you can try configuring Wi-Fi so that the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks have different network names.  This will disable band steering, which should allow problematic devices to connect.

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

Hi G

I had actually tried that already and it doesn't work.

Funny thing, I get to the end of the HP Wireless install software and receive a message that the printer was unable to connect to the wireless network using the wireless credentials that were provided.

Even though I manually entered the SSID and the password.

When I started to configure, there was no IP address. When I get this message I am getting an IP address of 169.254.19.1 which I am not sure where it comes from as I stated before the IP addresses on my router start at 10.0.0.xx

PFox78
I've been here awhile

I have to say that it would be helpful to read earlier responses. I posted mine more than a year ago with a solution that actually worked.

I was dealing with this exact same issue. I spoke to tech support, they tried various things and nothing worked. Then, I had an idea: I asked for a Wi-Fi Pod, which has Ethernet ports. They sent one over at no charge. I connected my printer to the Pod via ethernet cable and now it's working perfectly. Not only that, but the Pod boosted the Wi-Fi connection in my home office and it's stronger. They're now charging for the pods, but I would get them to comp you for if possible.

sswilson

It's not clear from your posts whether or not you've tried manually connecting from the printer's control panel or if you've been doing it via software.

My recommendation would be to uninstall all HP printer related software from your PC (including any data it offers to save for a future install) and then try to use the printer's physical control panel to enter in the SSID and password. If it looks like it accepts it and claims to be connected then check to see if you can "add" it as a networked printer to windows (I'm assuming Mac has a similar function but unfortunately don't have any experience with them). If windows can see it as a networked printer you should be able to print off a test page.

Only after the OS recognizes the printer would I consider installing the HP software.

The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP you're seeing from the printer is an internally generated IP which 99% of the time means that a device is unable to connect to anything on the network.

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

HI PFox78

Yes, I did see your solution but was hoping not to have to go that route.  I am in a 3 bedroom condo so really don't need the pod for Wifi reception boosting as the signal is strong in all rooms.

You did mention that it had ethernet ports. How many are on one pod if you don't mind me asking?

I have 2 printers to connect that sit side by side. (colour laserjet and a laser multifunction unit)

thanks

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

Hi SWilson

I have tried both. Using control panel from Windows does not help as the printer is not on the network. I have a brand new laptop that I just tried with.  I even changed the SSID of the 2.4G portion on the modem/router and connected the laptop to that. Once again, the printer connected but gave an IP of 169.254.19.1 which I am not sure where it gets that from.

I tried to create a static IP on the 2.4G side but that didn't work either.  I don't recall having such issues with the old Hitron modem when I had ordinary cable and that includes a move which didn't alter anything either

thanks

sswilson

@jeffb22 wrote:

Hi SWilson

I have tried both. Using control panel from Windows does not help as the printer is not on the network. I have a brand new laptop that I just tried with.  I even changed the SSID of the 2.4G portion on the modem/router and connected the laptop to that. Once again, the printer connected but gave an IP of 169.254.19.1 which I am not sure where it gets that from.

I tried to create a static IP on the 2.4G side but that didn't work either.  I don't recall having such issues with the old Hitron modem when I had ordinary cable and that includes a move which didn't alter anything either

thanks

I think we're on the same page, but I'm not completely sure.... I'm not talking about windows control panel, I'm talking about entering your SSID/Password using the physical panel on the printer.

What are the specific model numbers of the printers? There have been instances in the recent past where certain printers just wouldn't/couldn't connect over wifi to newer routers.

PFox78
I've been here awhile
I checked the pod and it has 2 Ethernet ports. I also tried every way possible to make it work. Adding from both Windows and Mac, from the printer directly. While it showed in the network, nothing would actually print. This was the only solution that worked.

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

Hi SSWilson

I was thinking control panel in windows >> add a printer/scanner.

My printers are a bit older but still very good work horses like HP makes.

One is a colour laserjet CP2015nw

The other is an M1217nfw laser multifunction printer

The colour laserjet has no on screen

The multifunction has minimal settings via its screen.

I can change IP config to either automatic or manual. When in manual mode I can enter a static IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

I tried setting a static IP in the printer and in the router but that did not work.

I think PFox78 solution of using a Wifi pod and connecting via ethernet may be the best solution

thanks for trying

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

thanks for checking, I will call Rogers tomorrow. Don't want to waste an evening on the phone

thanks for your help

sswilson

@jeffb22 wrote:

Hi SSWilson

I was thinking control panel in windows >> add a printer/scanner.

My printers are a bit older but still very good work horses like HP makes.

One is a colour laserjet CP2015nw

The other is an M1217nfw laser multifunction printer

The colour laserjet has no on screen

The multifunction has minimal settings via its screen.

I can change IP config to either automatic or manual. When in manual mode I can enter a static IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

I tried setting a static IP in the printer and in the router but that did not work.

I think PFox78 solution of using a Wifi pod and connecting via ethernet may be the best solution

thanks for trying

I would be surprised if the printers didn't have a menu that allowed you to manually enter in SSID and Password. Sometimes it's hard to find, but there should be a menu of some kind.

Setting a static IP on the printer without first entering the wifi details will not have any effect until after it knows what wifi network to connect to.

jeffb22
I plan to stick around

Quick up date to this issue.

I was able to get a Wifi pod from a Rogers technician.  I hooked it up and one printer connected right away. The other printer took some work to get it connected so I set a static IP for it and bingo, it connected.  

I now have 4 computers that are able to connect to both printers.

Thanks PFox78 and SSwilson for your suggestions

Par1
I'm here a lot

Has this issue been solved by anyone without using a Wifi pod?

maggieuu
I've been here awhile
Can you share how you ultimately resolved. Thanks
Topic Stats