Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Throttling RTMP to Twitch

@junk222, when you were with TekSavvy, did you have the same issue in terms of dropped frames, and if so, what were you using for a modem?  Was it a Hitron CDA3, CDA-RES or Cisco DPC-3848V which are all Intel Puma 6 modems?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thought it was fixed for me but it's not, swapping the modem to CGN kinda fixed the random upload issue but instead i had connection issues on WIFI and LAN.

Forced to upgrade to CODA after that, issue was still there. Bought a new router, netgear. Issue was gone for a week and then back again. Upgraded to gigabit, issue is worse now. Tech support always says there's an issue in the area, it's been 1-2 months that they've been saying they're gonna text me when the issue is fixed, Talked to them 2 days ago, they said its fixed. Started streaming again, not fixed. Tech guy coming over to my place today to see whats the problem, this is the 2nd time they're sending a guy, first time the guy did a speedtest and said everything is fine, I know how to do speedtest aswell.. he restarted the modem and said its fixed.. like come on dude.. I can do that stuff myself..I showed him the graphs and my twitch streams to see how it is and did a test stream, dude says thats normal.. seriously man lol

Gigabit internet, can't stream on 3000 bitrate. 

Note, that the issue goes away when I stream at 2500 but, whos gonna watch my stream at 2500 bitrate? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, there's definitely some problem with Twitch streaming.  Either in the Hitron modems, the network/routing or a combination of both.  This is going to take a test session with a technically adept streaming volunteer, @RogersDave, and Twitch engineering staff to sort out the issues.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Tech guy came over, he was just like the last one.. Completely clueless and asking me to do speedtests and telling me to not use a different router with the CODA modem.

I have 2 issues right now. Randomly having drops in upload speed, and while only using CODA modem, my upload goes to 0 completely, but it doesn't do that when I use the netgear router. So the issue is with the CODA modem, didn't have this issue with CGN modem.

Im really tired of paying for this poor internet.

55afc1569d428f20a04b7b3fbb366890.png

Picture above is a 2.5hrs stream, 3 hours ago. After the technician told me that there's no issue with anything. Made me reset everything. I even showed him the issue and dude says it's normal. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Twitch streaming issues since years now.

Why is no one on this? Been asking for help since forever and no one seems to care about this.

It's impossible to stream on twitch. I have a decently sized stream and I can't grow it anymore because of this issue coming back again and again.

I have switched modems countless times, upgraded firmwares on all of them, trial firmware on CODA. Bought a new router, used it in bridge mode and problem is still there.

Some days I can stream for 10+ hours without dropping frames.

And then some days I can't even stream for 5 minutes.

Like come on, I pay for 30mb upload and you guys can't give me 5mb out of what I pay? Gigabit speeds, you guys really need to increase the upload speeds in the gigabit package. Bell has better upload speeds in their 150fibe package.

Like I've been so worried about it that I do test streams before I go live

Picture below is a test stream, for 30 minutes 0 dropped frames, constant 6000 bitrate.

fcfe4e636c33e275ffc688fd418cf30d.png

and then when I started the stream, this is what happens, it starts off smooth, drops frames for 10 minutes and then smooth again for couple hours and then just completely dies, forcing me to end the stream.

de47bad79ec3a9e0eed0f4cd3498e010.png

Picture below is a 10 hours 30 minutes stream when it was pretty bad in the starting and pretty good for the rest of the stream for 9 hours.

0049684c194b2a3a64ed031f9212a14a.png

Straight up throttling whenever Rogers want to I guess

Upstream and downstream signals if it matters.

4ab24c894c268c35c316c73e56cdbcd5.png

5fcbe1f54d272d2c24d789c1bfc38217.png

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink wrote:

@junk222, when you were with TekSavvy, did you have the same issue in terms of dropped frames, and if so, what were you using for a modem?  Was it a Hitron CDA3, CDA-RES or Cisco DPC-3848V which are all Intel Puma 6 modems?

I had the same issues with Tek Savvy as it was over Rogers cable lines. I used a Hitron CDA3 modem.

This was my attempt yesterday. During peak hours it is absolutely impossible to stream anything. However even after peak hours it's awful. 

Before you think this is because of my modem, I power cycled it before I started the stream on this day. Just in case the signal strength on downstream is within -2.0 to 1.0 dBmV, and 34.0 dBmV on the upstream. I believe this is within accepted range.

Even doing a speed test to your own servers I am getting well below the 15 Mbps that I pay for in upstream.

1080p - 30fps - 5000 kbps - 7-8PM

Jan 2, 2018 - 10PM - 12PM.png

Speed test - 191 down - 0.07 up.png

Speed test - 122 down - 6.19 up.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah seems like they just don't care about upload, no wonder they have 30mb upload on a gigabit plan.

Todays stream, 2 hour long, 25000 dropped frames.

2ff169d273a0ae4c3a24b014e596e548.png

9b79cd309bd577fbc6c496786f7b3e79.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Daily post that this needs to be fixed.

3hrs stream - 15000 dropped frames, Forced to stream at 2500 bitrate which is the quality of 160p resolution

2315984c7bf264c956fd2eb137778cf6.png

I pay for 30mb upload and I expect at least some of it to stream at 6000 bitrate (6mb upload pls) ?

I've Been Here Awhile

I find that my 15mbps upload goes down to 5-6 during evening hours. I am an after-hours gamer, so after-hours it seems to go back to normal. I have the big white modem. 

I also have tried teksavvy cable, which does the same thing and is also on the rogers network.

Has anyone tried start.ca? I got my friend to do a speed test the same time as I did during even hours. While my upload seems throttled, his is not.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm bumping this, since I've experienced the same problems. There should be more done to fix this, it's incredibly ridiculous that the only "fix" is to pay for a VPN. 

I just got installed with Rogers and I have a decent viewership on Twitch and Stream every day. As such, I was excited to get the 150/15 package so I could bump up my bitrate and let my viewers get a better experience. As such, the opposite Is becoming the case. I'm not sure how far out of spec my numbers are, but below I've included a picture. 

Symptoms: The connection will  be fine for 5-6 minutes, then completely drop to 0 and recover after a few seconds and this happens consistently and is very jarring. I'm paying for consistent 15mbit upload and 4500bitrate is too much for it to handle apparently because it wont hold steady at that rate. I've tried multiple streaming platforms(youtube/smashcast/restream/Twitch) and different ingest servers and this problem persists. I'm not on contract, but I expected a lot better than what I'm getting, even after just a little over a week. Any help here?internetspike.JPG