cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

454 REPLIES 454

Re: Can't create App password

To heck with being polite! The last time I called and spoke to a senior tech person they were so rude. My complaint file has been ongoing for about eight months. I pointed out to the tech that I was not getting what I was paying for which includes email. He said “show me on your bill where you pay for that” in other words, they consider it to be a free service and we shouldn’t complain? They call me with an automated weekly phone update to let me know they have not fixed the problem. They call on a phone number that I’ve asked them 10 times not to use. I don’t answer that number and it has no answering service so they call over and over. I feel harassed, ripped off and a bit stupid for continuing to pay them. I’m giving it till March and then switching to yahoo.com. Already created an account - no problem with password (app pwd not required). So much for blaming Yahoo - it’s all on Rogers!

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

My cousin in Florida uses Cox as his ISP. He uses Outlook for its security features for business purposes, which are not available on web based email. HP tech support has told me that Rogers itself could provide the password for both Outlook and Thunderbird. You know, we consumers operate in good faith. We purchase a service or product expecting the provider to live up to their end of the contract and to provide some type of compensation-at least an explanation-when there's a problem. Honesty and transparency don't seem to be a lot to ask of any service or product provider. Why Rogers is not doing this with its customers should be a concern to those government bodies that regulate commerce. I have no idea if the moderator will allow or not this post. But it seems reasonable to place it.

chorus
I've been around

So that would mean that if I cancel my rogers subscription I can keep my email account then if it's free and I'm not paying for it right.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chorus : Obviously, you're being facetious.  No one said it's free.  It is supplied at no charge if you are a Rogers Internet customer.

chdiamo1
Can someone please send me a private message with a translation? Thanks

danno100
I plan to stick around

Is there ever going to be a solution to this. This has been going on since April 2023. My outlook is ok, my wife's went down. Tried of course to generate new password...still issues. ALMOST A YEAR!! I BET THEY WOULD BE CALLING ME IF I DIDN'T PAY MY BILL FOR A YEAR. CAN SOMEONE FROM ROGERS ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING ON THIS , WOULD BE NICE TO KEEP CUSTOMERS INFORMED. YOU HAVE NO ISSUES WHEN A PRICE INCREASE COMES ALONG!!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 wrote:

1. Is there ever going to be a solution to this. This has been going on since April 2023.

2. My outlook is ok, my wife's went down. 

1. Highly unlikely, actually early March 2023 as evidenced by post 1 of this thread.

2. The latest version of Outlook works without an App PW. I mentioned this earlier in this thread (link below).  If you upgrade to the latest version, it should work.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

mwk
I plan to stick around
Outlook 2021 does not work without the password generator. Do not pretend that this problem has been fixed. Outlook 365 works but it is a paid subscription model. This means that anyone that has bought a licensed copy of Outlook is out of luck.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mwk : Are you running the latest version (update) of Outlook?  Are you running in "Classic/Legacy" mode, because the non-App PW option is only available in the "New" version/mode of Outlook which I mentioned in my December 7, 2023 post.   (In Mac, the mode that doesn't work without an App PW is called Legacy; in Windows it seems to be called "Classic".)  This can be confusing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-version-of-outlook-do-i-have-b3a9568c-edb5-42b9-9825...

You are correct that I run Outlook 356, but I read that someone with the latest version of Outlook running in "new"mode worked - link below

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Using-Rogers-email-account-in-Outlook/m-p/521065/high...

mwk
I plan to stick around
The new Outlook mode you refer to us a browser based mode of Outlook that Microsoft is pushing that has advertising embedded. It's similar to Yahoo Mail in that both are using advertising to push revenue. That's not what you want to see when you bought a desktop based app

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mwk :  I am not talking about the browser version of Outlook, which may display ads since it is free. 

While I’m not an expert on Outlook, I’m talking about Outlook 2021 and Outlook 365 (subscription), updated to the latest versions.  These latest versions can be viewed in two different ways.  One way is called “classic or legacy” and when viewed in this manner, Outlook looks like it has for many years.  However, there is another way/mode to use the latest Outlooks. This is called “New Outlook”. This looks quite different from the previous versions of Outlook, has a different layout and has various options not available in “classic/legacy” Outlook. 

You can toggle between “new” and “classic/legacy” version using a “toggle” on the screen.  The “new” Outlook will probably start automatically when you download the latest update.  You manually toggle back to “classic/legacy” Outlook if desired.

The “Classic/Legacy” Outlook still requires the App PW.  It is the “New” Outlook that does not require an App PW and logs in the same way (using your regular Webmail PW) as most apps on a device like a tablet or cell phone.

In summary, you need to have the latest version of Outlook, operating in the “New” manner to be able to login without an App PW.

mwlcom
I've been here awhile

That is not quite true. As I posted a few pages back, after my Outlook required an app password that I couldnt get, I ultimately purchased Outlook 365, and low and behold everything worked perfectly. REGARDLESS of if 'classic' or 'new version' - old classic version of Outlook 365 works with rogers email with no app password just fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mwlcom wrote:

That is not quite true. As I posted a few pages back, after my Outlook required an app password that I couldnt get, I ultimately purchased Outlook 365, and low and behold everything worked perfectly. REGARDLESS of if 'classic' or 'new version' - old classic version of Outlook 365 works with rogers email with no app password just fine.

Thank you for that update.  Classic, (Legacy on Apple) did not work for me on December 7 when I posted my experience on my Mac Mini M2 E10.  Perhaps the Apple version is running a bit behind the Windows version.  I'm glad to hear that it now works both ways for you.

Since there are at least 8 versions of Outlook, (Windows new/classic, paid/subscription, Mac new/legacy, paid/subscription), these changes may have been phased in over months. For example, when you and others reported that Outlook 365 worked without an App PW several months back (August and before that), I did try to get Outlook to function without an App PW on my Mac Mini, but it didn't.  In December it worked in "New" mode, but not Legacy.

mwk
I plan to stick around
The "new" Outlook is a toggle on the top right page of Outlook 2921. The toggle switches you to Outlook for Windows 11 which is a browser based email app. If you don't have a 365 subscription, you see advertising. Most people that have tried the new Outlook app have quickly switched back to the desktop app. Besides the advertising issue, the new Outlook transfers your email to the Microsoft cloud, you have to be connected to the internet, you cannot combine email accounts into one inbox and the app is a CPU/memory hog.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mwk : Thank you for that very clear explanation.  That's too bad.

That still leaves outstanding the issue of the person/people who got Outlook 2021 to work without an App PW as mentioned in a previous post, link again below:  They didn't say which mode they were in, but I had assumed it was "new" when perhaps it was not...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Using-Rogers-email-account-in-Outlook/m-p/521065/high...

I'll ask in that thread... Let's hope for a response.

mwk
I plan to stick around
I'm quite certain the people that got Outlook 2021 to work had toggled to Outlook for Windows 11. They may not have realized they were no longer on the desktop Outlook especially if they had a 365 subscription. There is some discussion in chat forums that Microsoft is likely going to drop support for the desktop version of Outlook in 2025/2026. This would not be surprising since Microsoft would get more revenue from advertising or 365 subscriptions.

chdiamo1

Best I can tell "Outlook 2021 Legacy or New" mode is cloud based and is for Windows 11 and 10. It's free. If you have to pay for it, as a stand alone application, I'd be surprised if it works without the Yahoo or Rogers not supplied application password.  By having paid versions of Outlook, as stand alone apps, and free versions and having cloud based and non cloud based versions, and calling it all "Outlook" Microsoft has deliberately made this issue confusing by calling every iteration "Outlook".  BTW, my Thunderbird email app will not work without the unsupplied-by Rogers or Yahoo- application password. Why Rogers won't be honest with its customers, and tell us what is going on, is a mystery to me. 

danno100
I plan to stick around

Actually thunderbird will work an a windows pc. I just have to figure out what mail program to use for Android.

I think it's time to ditch rogers email once and for all...I regret as it is a lot of work moving everything over.

DWEnstrom
I'm here a lot

Not sure, I didn't know about this new mode. But it makes sense. Outlook ...out of the blue ... prompted me to long onto my Roger's email, which hasn't worked in many months. Unfortunately it is now not working. How does one switch modes?

Lorne4
I plan to stick around

Yes, purchased new Win 11 Desktop for my wife last November and the latest  version of Thunderbird is working just fine with Rogers' service.

lucho1970
I'm here a lot

I can validate that the newest version of MS Outlook (beta) does support web based multi-factor authentication, therefore not requiring an app password. The fact is, app-passwords are a security risk and were created so that we can continue to use legacy applications that did not support multi-factor authentication. As long as I can get my email on my desktop computer without using a browser, I'm happy.